1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A few observations about these great fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arbitrator, Jul 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

I did misinterpret you then I guess, I just thought that you were being critical of us being critical. Hey, if all of your threads amount to this kind of response then you will be a more welcome addition to the forum than I. I kind of suck as this kind of thing, but I love the Rockets!

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff,I don't know about you,but one of the things I noticed last year was the inability of certain Rockets to get the ball inside when and where Dream needs it.I mean I saw him having his man sealed off often only to not get the ball in favor of some ill advised jack.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited July 26, 2001).]

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I noticed a couple of things myself.

1. I thought that Francis (and the other guys minus Shandon) had trouble making the post entry pass. Francis seemed to get better at it the more he played with Olajuwon. It seemed a lot of our players haven't developed the ability to make the great post-entry past like Cassell, Smith and Maxwell did so well in the title days. However, I here a lot of comentators/analysts mentioning that the art of the post-entry past seems to be going the way of the art bank shot in the NBA--to near extinction.

2. Francis had some troubles trying to balance the demands Rudy T put on him to dominate games and at the same time keep the big man happy. I thought this balance became easier for Francis to maintain once Olajuwon accepted the roles of occupying the high post and playing the pick n' roll with Francis. When Olajuwon did those things, Francis usually made a good decision in dishing off the ball to the open man.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JeffB (edited July 26, 2001).]

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you all the way.Stevie did seem to make progress in this area.I also thought SA had that down from the get go,but Mobes frusrated me time and again.The point you make about Stevie finding Dream for easy buckets via the J or inside is quite valid.Dream should have that wide open 15 footer anytime he wants it.I know he can still deal in side and not just against the East.I think they should exploit this more.....Lets just hope he stays healthy.

------------------
    Everybody has a little bit of Watergate in em - Billy Graham

5. Bigman

Bigman Member

Mr. Arbitrator, I apologize to you if you are not who the others are implying that you are. I meant no offense and look forward to see where you are going with this thread. Good luck!!

------------------

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks! Excellent topic. [​IMG]

------------------

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

"The Clutch slowly walks in the shadows waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting prey"

"Oh Crikey! Look at the Mouth on that One!"

------------------
    "Hell yes my IP is logged"

8. Eric

Eric Member

Arbitrator, this is my first post in the BBS so I really don't have any idea who you are/were/claim not to be. All I want to say is that your point about Dream is valid, but I see very little basketball sense in keeping him. The public relations aspect is overwhelming but I don't see spending 5 million dollars on a 37 year old who will play 50 games a year (tops!!) and contribute 10pts and 6 rebs. a game.

By the way, my name is Eric. Hi to everyone...

------------------
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

9. rock

rock Member

I'm sure that Olajuwon's locker room presence is an added bonus and that he may be able to give a few pointers during practice, but we may be going into the season with Dream trying to keep up with Francis, Mobley, and a 19 year old potentially starting at small forward. It will not be pretty seeing Olajuwon trying to catch his breath on the other end while our offense is forced to take additional ticks off the shot clock waiting for him to cross the halfcourt line.

Dream, in a limited role like Sabonis, can be effective. Keep in mind, Olajuwon is holding up the signings of other free agents like Moochie Norris and Mo Taylor who are also valuable for "chemistry".

------------------
    There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

10. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Eric, why didn't you heed your signature, man?

Just kidding. When someone lobs be an opportunity like that, I can't control myself. Welcome to the board.

By the way, you could be right about Hakeem's production, but you could also be wrong. He could play in seventy + games and average something like 14pts and 9 boards. It remains to be seen.

------------------

11. Eric

Eric Member

Thanks for the nice burn there Moe. I definately left myself open for that one but I also believe in it! I think Mark Twain originally said that one.

Anyway, more on Hakeem. I hate to be the one who discards nostalgia and personal feelings for the old guy, but I her the Rockets are getting ready to trade some young talent that have (Thomas and Shandon) in order to keep said 37 year old, 50 games a year center. I just don't understand that.

Well, once again, thanks for letting me speak my peace.

------------------

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Dream needs to make his presence felt in the locker room now. He needs to get his a$$ in the locker room. Quit farting around...

------------------
    Reporter asks "How close were you to the victim?" Shorty says,"Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left." Shorty - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

14. Nomar

Nomar Member

This Arbitrator guy is a big dooshbag from what I can tell.

Go Kagy. Rip into him some more. Its entertaining.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I am so sorry, please embrace my deepest apologies....I do not believe you fellow posters are fully realizing and digesting the gist of the point I am trying to make....blah blah blah...who the f#@k is this guy??

------------------

16. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

This topic is interesting. Mr. Arbitrator is sounding more like involved in this Dream/Rockets negotiation and trying to get some ammunition to present to the table.

What do you all think?

------------------

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

man, I so wish Dr of Dunk would write a long provocative post here,,,I so want to see Mr. Arbitrator respond over and over using

Mr. Dr. of Dunk

who does that? damn, achebe, how can you agree with someone who calls you Mr. Achebe, sir? You do this just to annoy Mr. Kagey.

18. Eric

Eric Member

More than anything, it sounds like "Mr." Arbitrator is interested in reading his own verbose writing and pretentious language than he is in really discussing sports, basketball, and specifically Hakeem.

I don't think Arbitrator or anyone can really justify keeping Hakeem when you look at it from a STRICTLY basketball standpoint. Yes, there are about 12 guys out there right now that could average 10 and 6 for us every night (like Dream does) and one of them is Kelvin Cato. Do all of you who are so intent on keeping Dream really think that his basketball contribution is worth 20 million and possibly KT, Shandon, and Cato (okay maybe Cato). I don't think 10 and 6 for maybe 50 games next year out of a 37 year old is worth that much.

Then again if you asked me if I wanted to see Hakeem retire in anything BUT the Jetson Pajamas... I would quickly say hell no and then probably punch them in the face. There's something about Hakeem retiring in Raptors purple that makes me violent. It also kind of makes me want to puke...

Later ya'll...

------------------

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I am from South Carolina. It takes every shred of effort to type out c..ris.p...e..e w/o saying 'Mr' or 'Sir' (my nanny honestly put soap in our(my sister and I) mouths for not saying our m'ams and sirs).

I'd actually just gotten past saying those terms in the past few years. Be careful, I might have a Sir seizure and hiccup soap bubbles.

BTW, I don't try to annoy BK. We just do not agree on many things. [​IMG]

crispee, is Arbit. an old poster?

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

20. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

Mr. Eric, I am sorry if you don't believe I am interested in discussing Mr. Olajuwon's status and objectively discuss his potential. I have no where stated that I wish him to stay or leave - I think you are mistaken. Mr. Eric I'd request you to re-read my posts and show me where I have provided any statements that the organization should keep Mr. Olajuwon, trade him, or to renounce him.

I have already stated I don't have the experience or authority needed to accurately have an opinion on the matter. My intent is to learn, that is all. I am offended that despite my objective intentions you would accuse me of merely wanting to read my own words.

------------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.