1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A few observations about these great fans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arbitrator, Jul 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

First of all, I'd like to comment that I have no disrespective intentions, I'd just like to comment on a few things.

Houston is blessed with some of the greatest fans in the world. I'm sure the management and the players agree with me on this issue.

One problem with having such great fans is they also tend to be the most emotional, and when things occur that would seem inconceivable, fans can say things they really don't mean.

The problem with this is that sometimes there is a group that forms, that advocates one systemic idea, and this "group" can often seem like it is speaking on the majority of the fans.

Without getting into specifics, I'd like to comment that sometimes these people can represent the general notion of a particular player or individual within a franchise despite assurances to the opposite.

Instead of perhaps discussing whether Mr. Olajuwon is greedy, egotistic, humble, delusional, an angel, stupid, smart, kind, or a genius (as I am sure many people on these boards happen to know him when they say he is any of the above), and without making unwarranted and cliche statements like "development" - I'd like to offer a change of pace, and bring about this topic on how well Mr. Olajuwon fits into the team (outside of so-called "demands" which people believe he has) and how beneficial he is to the organization as a whole assuming he, Mr. Taylor, Mr. Anderson, and Mr. Norris are all brought aboard.

I eagerly await your responses.

------------------

2. kubli

kubli Member

The fans that post on cc.net might be great fans but Houston fans as a whole are not so great as seen by the Rockets having the lowest attendance in the league last season.

------------------

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Are you Dream's agent? [​IMG]

------------------
    A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

4. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Thank God! Finally, we have someone to tell us what to talk about around here instead of trying to figure it out for ourselves.

Nice IP, by the way. Looks familiar somehow.

5. Colby

Colby Member

Freedom of speech helps to guarantee our other rights.

Also, people that make millions of dollars per year should be able to shoulder the praise/critism that comes with it. Its part of the job. If a person gives 110% at work, then the rest should take care of itself.

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Forward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Brian,

An Austin area IP is my hunch.

.....else Seattle area.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Dream threads!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited July 25, 2001).]

7. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I for one am going on record as being dubious if not outright incredulous that this guy is for real.

I mean no disrepect if you are, Arbitrator... But you have to understand that we grow wearisome of frauds, and no amount of pretty words and tactful phrases will win us over.

There are enough connections through this site that it would be no trouble at all coming through the front door, without exposing any players or causing unfair biases.

Maybe, maybe no?

[​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

8. Timing

Timing Member

There is never a problem with fans expressing their opinions. If it were not for fans, Dream wouldn't even have the opportunity to complain about $4 million/year.

------------------
    First the Sopranos and now Eddie Griffin... thank you New Jersey!

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Arbitrator = lawyer = Pine Cone????

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

10. harumph

harumph Member

I want to know how you got the name Arbitrator! isn't that a reserved name, like teh issue they had with someone posting as teh rocketguy

------------------
    D'oh! (_8(|) - a thought on Hakeem leaving

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I hope you weren't referring to me with that "Seattle area" comment Mango.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

ZRB,

From the newcomer's profile:

That person might be planting false clues that point in your direction. Maybe...maybe no.

It is most likely a biuid and the admins can expose (or just close) this person.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Dream threads!

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Awww... too bad, the frenzy can't be stopped.

Instead of any of us finding a shred of fault w/ Arbitrator's objective intuitions, everyone writes him/her off and questions the messenger.

Too bad.

I'm not sure who Arbitrator is, but let me see if I can (somewhat) paraphrase his question again so that we can address that issue. I think that it's an interesting intuition. I share it.

Unfortunately I'll degrade the message by not keeping the same loving tone. :)

What does everyone get concerned w/ free agent x discussing his salary with his employer? (okay, a bit tangential I concede. :)) IMO, everyone here is appealing to some make believe soap opera to get through the hot days.

Okay, somewhat back on topic... :), the team has cap space. The team's greatest needs are @ Center and @ Power Forward. Mo Taylor is rumored to be interested in the Rockets, and he is also rumored to be a Power Forward. If he were to sign, that would leave one hole... at Center.

There's a guy named Hakeem Olajuwon out there, perhaps willing to pay for the Rockets. There are no other mentionable FA centers this summer. Tankers are *******; it's also unclear who will be on the market next summer.

This team is ready to compete. This season. I think that Dream could be a great addition to the team, what do you guys think?

14. JR

JR Contributing Member

Once again, Achebe cuts through all the BS on the BBS. Well said amigo.

And if I hear any more whining about a 2-year deal! that's only 1 more than a 1-year deal. And to think some of the Dream bashers would likely have rather signed Antonio D to some ridiculously long contract, or Todd Mac, or Nazr, or any of the other never-has-been-never-will-bes.

WIN NOW

------------------

15. sleepyfloyd

sleepyfloyd Member

Who cares who the poster is. His point seems valid.

Dream plays some of the best defense in the league. If he doesn't score a point, which undoubtedly he will. He will still help with the biggest whole the team has.

------------------

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Okay, I understand Mango.

Nice post Achebe. I could say it better myself, but I just don't feel like it. [​IMG]

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

17. Achebe

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited July 25, 2001).]

18. Achebe

Thanks JR, ZRB.

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Quite an assumption. The only one who can make it true is Mr. Olajuwon. If he does so, he fits in. If not, he doesn't.

I like that scenario. Trouble is, it's not the one we face. The fact that Olajuwon has been playing for us the whole time, that his talents and minutes have declined for several years, that he's not happy about it, and that his unhappiness has been causing trouble for his teammates both last season and this offseason is highly relevant to whether he's a good fit for us. It's certainly relevant to how much we pay him.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 25, 2001).]

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The reason people have a problem with the poster isn't some conspiracy to shoot him down becase "everybody is against Hakeem", it's about something else. By the way, people don't want to throw Dream away, they just want the team to be able to sign Dream, Mo and Shandon instead of having to choose between Dream and Shandon and Mo. If it was easy to re-sign the free agents and Dream don't you think the Rockets would have done it by now? There are rumors that the Rockets will have to trade a few players to free up a spot to re-sign Dream, THAT'S the problem people have. Everybody already knows that Dream can fit with this team.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 25, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.