1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A call to action for the loyal Houston Sports Fan. (UH/Rice)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Mattj, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Mattj

Mattj Member

I am not paid to schill for this game. I do this for the love of my University and because I want to believe that even the thousands of Longhorns, Aggies, Tigers, Red Raiders etc. in this city are sports fans too. Surely you think having good LOCAL college football programs is positive for the city. In the 30 plus year history of the Bayou Bucket, there has never been a year where both UH and Rice have both been this successful simultaneously.

I make no excuses for the piss poor alumni support for UH. Two decades of relative futility in basketball and to some extent football and the fall of the SWC killed a generation of fans. Rice too faces its own unique challenges of being the smallest university playing D-1 football when it comes to a fan base. That being said, I know that the 90,000 that show up each week at LSU, Texas, and A&M fans are probably only about 75% people who actually attended the university. I remember moving to this town when I was 10 (1986) and being told by my classmates that I had to choose whether I was a Longhorn or an Aggie.

I'm not asking for long term support for either local team. (Though your walk up ticket buys are always welcome) But is it too much to ask on an expected beautiful saturday afternoon (2:30pm) to but your buns in the stands at Rice Stadium when the Coogs and the Owls battle for a conference championship game birth? You will not be missing any great games on TV, and you don't need to sober up for the Texans game the next day. (They play monday night.) Start a new tradition, and support this rivalry!

If you don't have a good time at the game, then you hate offensive football. Give it a shot, you won't regret spending the afternoon with the rest of us die hards. So I ask you one more time, what's it going to take to get YOU out there? I'm open to suggestions and will be whoring out for this game all week on the air.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1 of only 2 inner city rivalries in all of D1 CFB.

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Saying Texas should be ahead of OU would do wonders with the Texas Exes.

I will be pulling for Rice. It helps my Longhorns SOS.

4. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I wanted to go to Tulsa but I had Rockets-Hornets tickets.

This thread is freakin hilarious, I am putting the over/under at 3 minutes for his rant on the show tommorow.

Rice sells no alcohol right? Boot flask anyone?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The set up for this game is damn near perfect.

It should be a LOT of fun.

I don't care who you root for, just come!

6. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

What's the other?

Rice got an AP top 25 vote i hear.

I would be hopeful for these teams except for the fact that they are both pass happy and zero defense. Wake me up when they start caring about defense.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

UCLA/USC

8. The Drake

The Drake Member

Rice does sell beer at football games, though you have to keep it in the beer garden behind the north end zone.

That being said...on a campus where playing drinking games during class is a time-honored tradition...

your flask will fit right in! :cool:

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Are you the mayor?

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Hey Mattj, where you gonna park?

11. Fatty FatBastard

I went to a UH game 5 years ago with 2 die hard UH fans.

I'm no longer friends with them.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Go Coogs! I didn't go to either school, but I've always pulled for UH more than Rice.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I think I just might have to go to this game. Just checked the Rice website and there are plenty of good seats left. Waiting on a buddy to get permission from his wife. I always thought UH-Rice was early on in the season. Glad they moved it to Turkey Day weekend. Should be a fun time.

14. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I do wish people would actually go out to the UH games. After 5 years of Texans season tickets, going to UH games has been alot more fun in comparison. Might have something to do with the tickets being alot cheaper or the college atmosphere. Either way, if you want to see some entertaining football at an affordable price, I would suggest a UH game.

15. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I'd love to go. And I would be there.

...If the game wasn't the day after Black Friday. No CHANCE I can get off work.

16. Fatty FatBastard

We need this game to have a taco special. I'd go anywhere for free tacos.

UH marketing needs to get on this stat.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why did UH drop the run and shoot? Any small to mid sized college football team should be looking at that as a way to compete with the big boys.

DD

18. Mattj

Mattj Member

Would the Run N Shoot be putting up more than 600 yards per game? That's what UH's offense is putting up this year. To be honest, the difference between this team and the Run and Shoot teams is the defense. Lamar Lathon, Glenn Montgomery, Craig Veasey, Audrey McMillan, Ryan Mccoy etc made up a big time "D" that was coached at the time by Jim Eddy and Wade Phillips.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

If I was in town, I'd go, but I'll be watching it on TV...IMHO, you don't have to have an affiliation with either school, just go out and enjoy a great day of college football...

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

As a college football purist, I'd rather set up a nice tailgate out at Rice Stadium and watch the Iron Bowl and Florida-FSU games while grilling out. Then maybe go in and catch a few drives of the Rice-UH shootout in between.