1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[99ers Only] Has there been a more unlikable Rockets team than this one?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jan 7, 2023.

1. MystikArkitect

The the O.G.s that vividly remember Elies shot, Johnsons shot, Dreams quad-double, etc....where would you say this team is in all time Rockets teams in terms of just being straight unlikable or difficult to watch? Is this easily the worst Rockets team ever?

ak99999 likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The 1982-83 Rockets for me.
    The 2001-02 team is my runner up.

BallSoHarden, j@amc, ArtV and 5 others like this.
  3. clos4life

clos4life Member

4. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of the Francis/Mobley era was bad.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

My rockets fandom began in 91’. I can confidently say this is the worst rockets team I’ve ever seen. And I’m not just talking about being bad because of the youth movement. It’s poorly constructed, we’ve built around some questionable players, there’s not much of an offensive or defensive system, no accountability but a lot of selfish basketball. There was that terrible year where we ended up with Yao in the draft, but these last 3 seasons have been the worst I’ve seen.

Slim, Rokman, Jontro and 8 others like this.
  6. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

the Tillman Fertitta era is a horror show. makes my previously least favorite owner, Charlie Thomas, look like gold.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Anything is better than the Harden era.

cheke64, Space Ghost and Jontro like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The last time the Rockets traded away a league MVP the result was ....
    1982/83 ..... 14 and 68.
    1983/84 ..... 29 and 53.

The result of those two dismal years - The Twin Towers.

Their blatant tanking also resulted in the NBA instituting the draft lottery.

clos4life, ak99999, j@amc and 2 others like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Has there been a worse fan base in Rockets history? There are plenty of fans that are excited about Jalen, Jabari, and Alpi. We are tanking which is exactly what we needed to do and is the same plan of the vaunted Spurs front office. Silas is a bad coach and needs to go after this year. Once we have concluded this upcoming draft, Silas will be gone, trades for vets and maybe FA signing or two will happen in 23 and 24. The recent draft picks will start coming into their own next year and 24 thanks to a new coach and some bet leadership. Impatience with this group is really immature thinking and ignoring what was clearly laid out as the plan by Stone when Harden forced his way out. Disliking these young players before most of them can even buy a drink is idiotic to the max.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Just so you understand, Knicks fans would trade their roster for ours in a heartbeat if you want to guage talent level.

There is a difference between sucking because you have a incompetent coach with a crap ton of young valuable talent vs sucking because you have a bunch mid to over the hill vets who think they can make some play in noise(Jazz or Knicks is a prime example)

Texans is a good example of sucking but with zero hope. The Rockets have hope because there is actual young talent on this team people look forward to

Spacemoth, cml750, Nook and 4 others like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Honestly, my least favorite time as a Rockets fan was post Tmac/Yao and before Harden. The Lowry/Kmart/Battier/Scola teams. Not that they didn't hustle and have grit. They did. But there was no "hope" or high ceiling talent. For ME, being on the mediocrity treadmill is the worst spot to be in.

As bad as this team is now, at least there is Jalen, Jabari, Sengun, 2023FRP high ceiling talent on it. There is "hope" of what is to come. And for ME, that matters a lot with my fandom.

I became a Rockets fan in 1988.

12. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is where 98% of people complaining about the current team, wants us to be
    The Lowry/Kmart/Battier/Scola teams.

13. fchowd0311

There was pride with that team but ya at no point did we think the ceiling of that team was a champion contender. It was good well run basketball but with a very hard ceiling cap.

diehardrockets and Corrosion like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't hate this team but it is borderline unwatchable.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

The Fertitta era will be miserable

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Knicks would go back and trade their assets for Curry pick.

#16 daywalker02, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  17. fchowd0311

I'm talking about fans.

There is a reason why the call Brunson, Randle and Barret the "mid three". Fans really don't like to be in that type of limbo between being contenders and trying to find elite talent through the draft to build a core that can potentially contend.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Knicks essentially skipped 2 decades of basketball, were in the realm of oblivion.

That was Linsane.

19. fchowd0311

Exactly and in those two decades they had multiple "mid" teams. That's how you get into irrelevance. By teetering between mid and sucking for two decades.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The Westbrook year was very hard to watch. Francis era was terrible, I didn't like those teams. Yao and T-Mac playing with a horrid supporting cast was really shitty, it was a bad job by the organization and really cheap by the owner. Just before Harden was some of the worst basketball and very mediocre assets, thank god the Thunder saved us lol.

Right now we're sitting on a gold mine if you ask me. One of my favorite teams of all time. The fluidity in playing winning basketball is not there yet for obvious reasons, but I can see through the fog that the quality of these prospects is strikingly high and they are very well suited to each other too. A lot of them are extremely hard workers. Opponents commentators constantly describe us as a team that always brings energy (even though we're going to lose most games).

cheke64, Plowman, Rashmon and 2 others like this.