1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

911 Call from WTC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by reggietodd, Apr 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

That video is being used to ignite conspiracy nerds all over the world, with it's talk of "Controlled Demolition". It is ugly and a shame that they disrespect this man's final moments this way.

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I am fine with that, but it does sound pretty sentimental on your part, which was my point.

You're dead wrong on that one. It would not be a military victory at all, it would mean next to nothing on the ground.

I agree Iraq was an unnecessary diversion, but what happened happened, we're stuck with it now.

OK, you lost me there. I NEVER claimed the Iraqi invasion was "needed" and I am certainly not a Bush apologist. Moreover, I certainly don't think Iraq was a legitimate part of the "war on terror" -- more like the "war for oil control".

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wow, that is deeply disturbing. :(

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I meant that as two separate things. My bad. :)

If our military killed are captured the head of of the terrorist organization responsible for 9/11, I don't see how it could not be a military victory, whether it was done by ops involving hundreds or thousands of troops, or a squad of Special Forces. The Bush apologists have been running with this "bin Laden isn't really that significant to the big picture," garbage for a long time. I'm surprised you're buying into it.

Oh, and I'm not being sentimental, I'm being angry... angry that the Bush Administration went off on this crazy tangent in Iraq, when we had unfinished business with bin Laden and his organization.

Keep D&D Civil.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This still Pisses me off...I will always remember and honestly, I can't believe this movie is coming out (united 93)...It makes me sick to re-live that day...

6. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

What's silly is that he's linking the fly-by of the helicopter with his theory that it was a "controlled demolition" (i.e. the helicopter trigered the demolition). Why do "they" need to fly by in a helicopter to trigger a demolition that large? Why leave a "clue" like that?

What's even more amzing is that there are people on this board who think that the US Government brought down those buildings. Crazy.

Regarding the audio.... I don't know if I've ever heard anything more disturbing....

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That guy was pretty angry. Must have been chaotic for the 911 dispatcher who know there was absolutely nothing she could do. And the end was just chilling...

8. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

silence....wow.

I don't think it disrespects anyone's memories with the search for the truth. What if the government brought them down to keep them from falling sideways and kill even more people?

9. rocket_red

rocket_red Contributing Member

Very disturbing. Heartbreaking. I know it happened, but to actually hear someone's voice who was in the building makes it more real. It kinda brings it all home in way.

10. tigermission1

Oh, OK, I get what you're saying now. I am not saying it won't be significant to the big picture because I am a "Bush apologist", I am simply saying that because it's true: it won't matter much. It won't stop the insurgency in Iraq from fighting, it won't stop the periodic attacks and the warlords from controlling the countryside in Afghanistan, and it won't stop the radicals from pursuing violence against America and its coalition countries. If anything, he will be viewed as a martyr and will become an inspiration to those who desire inflicting harm on America or its troops/citizens living overseas.

In THAT sense, it won't mean anything on the ground. But it would be a morale booster if we were to capture him.

11. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

And what gives you the idea that it would be possible for the "government" (not sure if you're talking Fed, State, or Local) to pull something like that off in that time span? Do you have any idea how much planning and prep goes into a even a small-scale demolition? Not that I do either, but I'm pretty sure it couldn't be done in one morning, during a freaking crisis.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

is this a real call?
    i mean any turd on the net can make a call and put the wtc video on at the same time...

sucks to be the guys family, and to hear him like that at his final moments...

13. tigermission1

What about the possibility of the WTC towers being pre-wired for demolition just in case something like this happens?

I know it's cold-hearted and sort of an uncomfortable thought, but if I were in a situation where the towers might fall sideways and damage other building in its vicinity (thereby possibly causing thousands of more fatalities) and I had that option, I would do it to limit the casualties.

I am not saying that was the case or that there is any truth to it, but when the towers came down it did look very much like a controlled demolition because they fell in a perfectly straight line, which would otherwise seem to contradict the laws of physics.

But there is no evidence to suggest that was the case...

14. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

after the attack in 92 many changes were made to the towers. it's said that the reason the towers only stood as long as they did was because of improvments that were added after 92. maybe i'm crazy but if another 92 type attack were made at the base of the towers and there was a chance they could fall sideways the best option would be to implode them. do you remember watching and before they fell the towers were leaning?

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

The man was calling from the office of the company I'll be interning with this summer... :eek: :(

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Am I the only one who refuses to click on the link?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No. I have no intention of doing so.

Keep D&D Civil.

18. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

Does anyone know why it collapsed. cant see why a fire at the top of the building would make it fall like that. WHat was the offical explanation of it. And if the were planning and bringing it down, why have fireman in the building?

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Let's also remember those who died in the fight against terror. Not down playing the deaths at 9/11(no disrespect intended), but there were more innocent people who have died after 9/11, the value of the lives of those killed in the bombings are as great as any Americans. We have to also remember that… But, in the end it had to be done, I just wish there could have been another way.

Peace.

Mohammed Gul, who worked at Kandahar military hospital, spoke to the BBC in the Pakistani border city of Quetta:

"Since the American bombing started a lot of people died. Bombs were hitting people's houses. They damaged lots of houses and they injured and killed lots of innocent people. We were there and I saw about 50 people who died and some became injured.

"There are no health facilities and medicine. The Taleban do not have the power to stop American bombing, because the planes are very high and the anti-aircraft [guns] can't reach them. When the bombing stops, people came out of their houses and continue their life under the pressure of war.

"Because of the bombing no one can sleep. Women and children can not eat or drink anything. Everyone is looking to the sky and waiting and thinking when will the American aircraft come and start killing them."

Man from Helmand, in southern Afghanistan, speaking on arrival in Quetta:

"The situation is somehow all right, but the bombs are going on the wrong places. They don't damage any military headquarters but they are killing innocent people.

"The places where Taleban were before are not there anymore. They moved out and went to mountains and other places where they can hide."

People arriving in Quetta from Kandahar, in southern Afghanistan:

"The situation was very bad in Kandahar. Americans were bombing day and night.

"The Taleban and Osama [Bin Laden] didn't face any damage, but innocent people were injured and killed. Homes were destroyed.

"All people are leaving and coming here. Children are dying. America was bombing innocent people's houses not military headquarters.

"A lot of people died and many were injured. About 200 or 300 houses were damaged."

A resident of Kabul speaking of the destruction in the capital:

"The street next to my home was bombed, and 18 were killed and 23 injured. Everything was destroyed there.

"The doors and window glass of our homes were broken. I have a baby child, one and a half years old. Even she is afraid of the plane sounds and bombing, and she runs towards me and hugs me when the planes come over.

"I am surprised by those who claim to be defending human rights. Those who claim that the terror attacks were carried out by the followers of Osama and his group, may be wrong.

"But still if they are right, two buildings have been destroyed and some people have been killed.

"Anyway now it has been done, and we are also sorry for the victims of the attack. But now these American and British planes have added our nation's blood [to that of the dead in Washington and New York] and they have made all people frightened.

"No one can go to sleep for whole night up to the morning. Their planes come proudly at a low altitude and as a result the plastic in all our windows and doors -- whose glass has already been broken -- started shaking in this cold weather.

"In the Darulaman area they again carried out a heavy bombardment in which many houses were destroyed and many people have been washed in blood and made another disaster.

"At the moment when I am talking to you, the planes are going up and down and who knows what might be their goal and what disaster might happen again to the poor and innocent people."

Afghan children in Peshawar, Pakistan, worry about US-led bombing in their country.

Sultan Sarwar, a young boy:

"It has been three days since I arrived in Peshawar from Jalalabad. My uncles are still there. My school was closed because of the fighting and bombing there. My classmate Zubair is still there."

Hamid, a nine-year-old boy:

"As America started its bombing in Afghanistan, my parents sent me to Peshawar with the hope [that I would] not be killed there. Now I am living in my uncle's home. I miss my parents and other family members very much."

Feriba, a young girl:

"I and all my classmates are very sad because of the situation in our homeland. When our teacher said in the class that many people have been killed in Afghanistan, I and my all classmates started weeping because everyone has relatives there. I expect America not to kill the poor Afghans. They are hungry and poor."

Despite US radio broadcasts in local languages, many Afghans have no clear idea of why they are under attack.

BBC News Online [October 12, 2001], reported on the U.S. bombing of the Sultanpur mosque in Jalalabad, which killed 15 people. A Kabul man who had escaped to Peshawar, told a BBC reporter on October 12th that he had witnessed the destroyed mosque:

"I saw it with my own eyes. It had been hit at nine o'clock at night. And I saw for myself that many people had been killed."
    The Toronto Globe & Mail [November 24, 2001], described U.S. bombers pummeling Taliban positions in the Khanabad-Kunduz area during the 21st -- 23rd and talking with one of three burqa-clothed women who had walked six hours to flee the rain of bombs in Khanabad:

"A neighbor of ours has a14 year-old daughter who was killed by a bomb on Wednesday along with her brother. Last week, there was a doctor who was killed with 12 members of his family."

Another woman in a burqa described how a village was struck by U.S. bombs and rockets on Thursday [November 22nd]:

"Five houses were destroyed and all the people were killed."
    Kate Holt of The Independent [November 25, 2001] reports on the effect of recent U.S. bombing of the small market town of Nahrin in Baghlan province:

"The living are as much casualties as the dead. Bibi is one of the thousands of innocent people who have been forced to flee their homes as the bombing of Taliban targets continues in the "war against terrorism". Hers is a terrible tale.

"The bombs started falling from the sky," she recalls. "My husband ran outside to find our son and then he screamed. I ran to the door. He and my son were lying dead. The rest of us left when the fighting had stopped. We just wanted to get away from the bombs and the killing." Severely traumatized by her experiences, Bibi left the remote Afghan village of Nahrin with her five remaining children and traveled south. "I just wanted to reach the safety of a camp, but now we are here there is nothing." Tears are streaming down her face."

20. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie