1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

$70 for a haircut and beard trim is ridiculously ridiculous.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Jun 9, 2023.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

These barbers have lost their collective minds. Every shop inside the loop is priced like this and I just refuse to pay that anymore. Hell, I can’t afford to pay that…how are people able to afford to pay that weekly??? My mind is blown over here.

With that being said—can anyone recommend a decent barber that can do scissor work and is decent with the clippers? I’m hoping to find someone at sports clips or anywhere around $30 for a cut.

Ubiquitin and OmegaSupreme like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Does it have to be in the loop? I go to Peter's Dominican Barber Shop in between Wilcrest and Kirkwood along the Katy Freeway. He charges $35 for a haircut. I get it really short on the sides so it's mostly clippers but some scissors on the top. He's grown a lot over the last few years...has about 10 - 12 barbers in there, I think.

NateNate likes this.
  3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Just looked it up—I see it’s off i10 so that’s not too bad. Appreciate the recommendation. Do they do online appointments?

MadMax likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya... the good ones have upped their prices.

Been going to my barber since mid 2017. i ain't gonna change now...so i pay the price.

of course i don't tip. because he owns the place.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think so. That 401 number you see as their phone number is Peter's cell, though. If you text you can set up an appointment that way. That's what I do.

I hope you're not Irish, because I don't want to lose the joke that I'm the only Irish American who gets his haircut at his Dominican barber shop. He's a super nice guy, by the way.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're all ****ing crazy for paying $70 or $35. Grab an Oster Classic 76 trimmer and some guards, use YouTube and you'll be your own barber in no time. Divide that $200 in equipment out over 10 years of hair cuts. Don't forget to count how much time you save.

And time is the crux of it for me. Driving to a barber shop, waiting, getting the cut, driving home, it's all a cost - the dollar and time amount (which is probably 1 hour minimum if you're in first) I'd rather do it myself, in my house. Takes 15 minutes, clean up, shower, shave, done.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where does Hardon trim his beard......

Jontro likes this.
  9. NateNate

NateNate Member

lol not Irish so the joke will live on.

MadMax likes this.
  10. NateNate

NateNate Member

The time thing is why I prefer a sports clips type of shop because they are great with time and online apportionments. I left my first barber after years because I got tired of calling to make an appointment then I get there and he tells me he has 3 heads ahead of me.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I discovered Trends barber college about 10 years ago.. Haven't set foot in a barber shop since... And that was when it was $25 ..

12. Aware

Aware Member

Get that southside fade at hair by tony for 8 bucks, my guy

Xerobull likes this.
  13. NateNate

NateNate Member

Lol I use to go to hair by Tony on Bellaire back in the very early 00s.

Aware likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That’s just bad time management.

It’s weird that barber shops take appointments now. The last barber shop I had in Galveston was walk-ins only, and it was packed any time after 3 and 11-3 was a crap shot during the week.

15. Buck Turgidson

$25 cut
    $15 beard
    $10 tip

About 4 times a year

Nook likes this.
  16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I do Sport Clips only because of the online check in. I found a girl (Karen) who does my hair perfect, so I always request her.

There's a local barbershop here in Kingwood that's great, and I always try to support small local business...but they don't take appointments, don't have a sign in sheet and only accept cash.

It's really annoying when small businesses make it so hard to support them - even when you want to.

Sajan likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Y'all need some Asian friends that can tell y'all where to go for $12/haircut. I'm sure there are a few on this bbs. In and out on slow hours. No appointment needed.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You can go to OK barbershop , its on west belfort near the loop. Plus you can talk shop with the old rascist asian lady

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Free for me. Shave my had 1x a week and trim my own beard. Just don't trust anyone to get my beard right. Been screwed up too many times.

CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I been going once a month $72 (includes tip) and I'm in Pearland area now lol. I do a taper fade with clipping my top hair and getting my beard done as well. I guess is not that bad.

NateNate likes this.