1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610am] Hunsicker stepping down, Purpura to be new GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Nov 1, 2004.

1. edc

edc Contributing Member

Gerry and Uncle Drayton have had their disagreements for years.

Purpura has been assistant GM, and in charge of the minors before that. My main concern is not with Beltran or Kent or Garner, but the in-season moves. Hunsicker was the king of finding the right piece for that year.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, Tim was far more involved in those decisions than most people know. He was the guy who knew the ins and outs of our minor league system, and he'd also keep up on the scouting reports on other teams.

I'm not worried about Tim's handling of the team... I'm more worried about his expereince in dealing with agents, other GM's and with high priced players (although Drayton does a lot of that himself).

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Especially after the Jason Lane comment...

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

thats what first make me think that it was a factor

I think Hunsicker felt that this team was limited in where it could go with Biggio

I think that there was no way, NO WAY, Drayton wanted any part of kicking Biggio out the door and letting him finish up with another team, while picking up more milestones

he didn't want to be McMullen in the Nolan Ryan situation

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While certain issues like Biggio could have been a factor, I doubt that it was the deciding issue (the handling of Biggio has probably been a factor since after 2002, so its nothing new).

Gerry was lookin burned out by dealin with this team... and its not like the guy hasn't been bustin it day in and day out for the last 10 years.

He finally got a chance to see them win a playoff series, and get closer to the WS than any Houston team before this... I think he was just ready to "call it a day."

Also, the fact that Pupurra is more than ready to take over probably had a lot to do with this as well.

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

if what nick said is true about not feeling like anything could top this year is true.. then I'd want him gone...

surely a GM would not think that nothing could top ALMOST making it to a world series

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

It will be a loss.. but I've heard for years the new guy is good so.. maybe he can pick right up..

the challenge is who replacing purpura in his current job.. if he has really been so important

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

How far can ambition get you with Drayton's tight purse strings?

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

:rolleyes:

10. payaso

payaso Member

I'm more likely to believe that Hun knows that the Beltran deal is an exercise in futility and that it's better to go out on (relative) top, rather than preside over the decline of the team on the field. There may be some validity to the pain he feels watching Biggio stumble around in left come the '05 season, rather than DH-ing for an AL team or playing infield for anyone else.<br></br>
    I would imagine Purpurra has learned talent well... it remains to be seen if he has the soft skills necessary to work the phone lines to the affect that Hun did.<br></br>
    Good luck in '05, Hun- you'll be working somewhere else with more money to spend, no doubt.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm sure Gerry the Hun has taught Purpura well how to pillage other teams during their time together. That said, I'm sad to see him go, he's been a terrific GM for us over the years.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

What was Lane's comment I missed that ?:confused:

13. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I think this supports Beltran to the Chi Sox rumor, as much as anything. The Astros, for all their late season heroics, are now a house of cards and Beltran is a load bearing wall...err...card. Wasn't Astros management rumored as stating that Beltran will use the Yankees to drive the Sox price up? No Beltran, no Clemens (even with to a degree), no Kent...this team competes for the Wild Card but would have a hard time duplicating this past year's results.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

2 of the worst professionally run sports franchises

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It wasn't Lane's comment, Hun described Purpura as the Jason Lane of GM's since he's been waiting in the wings for quite a while.

16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I have a meeting with the astros today for our sponsership stuff. Im going to try and get some info if i can and pass it along to you.

===========================================================
    ASTROS BREAKING NEWS
    ===========================================================
    November 1, 2004

ASTROS NAME PURPURA GENERAL MANAGER

Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker resigned on Monday after nine seasons at the helm of the organization. He will be replaced by his assistant GM, Tim Purpura.

The Astros reached the playoffs in five of Hunsicker's nine seasons and won their first playoff series in club history this year when the Astros defeated the Atlanta Braves in the NL Division Series.

Purpura recently completed his 11th year with the Houston Astros organization and since October 24, 1997 has directed the club's player development system and six minor league affiliates.

COMPLETE COVERAGE >>
    http://lists.mlb.com/u/673820/8714356

17. JibbaJabba

JibbaJabba Contributing Member

This probably has something to do with his resignation:

Link

I wish his family the best.

18. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

well i am certainly sorry to see Gerry go. :( he was a fantastic GM and I only hope that Purpura has even close to Hunsicker's abilities to put together a mid-market club.

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

while it's good to hear purpura knows what he's doing apparently, it really sucks to see gerry go. we consistently ourperformed our payroll over these last 8 or 9 years and he seemed to make so many good moves. i'm sure he had some bad ones but they tend to get lost in all of the good ones.

the little moves like bringing in a geoff blum guy and then having the platoon at 3b with blum lead the NL in OPS for a while. then shipping out the sorry version of geoff blum for backe. bringing in lamb who had a great year. a guy like viz before the playoffs this year. so many moves like that.

then of course the huge things like snagging randy out of nowhere, getting kent, getting pettitte and clemens, and then getting beltran away from everyone else. awesome.

and if that bucholz guy turns out to be good getting him for wagner with lidge waiting in the wings would be really good.

i've always loved having him as a GM because it just seemed like he'd always figure everything out so you didn't have to worry about whether the front office would mess up the team or not. sad to see him move on.

20. plee

plee Member

If that is the case, then baseball needs to take a backseat.

Prayers...