1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Which Houston Franchise will win a title first?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by snc, Mar 30, 2010.

?

Which team will win a title first?

1. Astros

32 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Rockets

114 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Texans

125 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Wanna know why I didn't quote these?

"But it's not like Yao took cheap shots ala Schaub. He just breaks."

How does this support you differentiating between injuries in relation to Yao? To me it just seems like you're saying that since Yao's injuries weren't cheap shots, they should count against his durability. I see no need to quote another thing that supports that same point of view I'm arguing against.

"I completely agree with Donny's point that freak injuries are different from recurring things."

This sounded pretty good, until you followed it up with this.

"I and another poster said that while there *are* freak injuries, Yao's simply don't fit into this category."

Which basically reads, to me, as you thinking all of his injuries are his fault or could be avoided.

So, if I've misinterpreted something, my bad.

As for comparing Yao to other centers, how much data do we have on 7'6" 300lbs+ guys? :)

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Doesn't fragile mean that you suffer from lots of injuries that are unavoidable? Whether it is or is not preventive is not an issue. Because Yao suffers injuries that his body cannot avoid, he by definition is fragile in structure

3. ThaShark316_28

Texans should win this easily.

1 person likes this.
  4. msn

msn Member

Cheap shots being one example. Obviously that wasn't an attempt at an exhaustive list of freak injury types. Are you really requiring that?

Thanks -- no injury is someone's "fault" or "could be avoided", except for cheap shots (in which it's another party's fault) or stupid choices (Moises Alou comes to mind). It's not Yao's fault that he has durability issues. I'm not blaming his conditioning or his character (the latter which I've repeatedly praised). Just saying the evidence points to the fact that his body is fragile. Other than balancing more height and weight, there is nothing about his play on an NBA court that would suggest he is open to more injuries. He's injured more than other centers. He's injured more than other 7-footers. He's injured more than everybody. I'm not assassinating his character, just pointing out the obvious. Dude gets injured a lot. Based on previous history, I expect him to get injured yet again.

that's a cop-out. don't take it personally, i was referring to the statement only. ;)

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sufficient? Yes.

Necessary? No.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

In Pro Football versus Basketball or Baseball, it is easier to go from average to champion.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why i voted for the texans.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Texans front office is full of idiots and the Rockets FO has a Genius in it....

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, you tell 'em! It's not like the Texans, at pick 15, drafted the best rookie in the NFL and already one of the best defensive players in the NFL... oh wait. Yeah, what a bunch of idiots... :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But they signed Chris Brown, and didn't cut Kris Brown because he was going to suck this past season.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Titles in the NBA are more based on luck than GM smarts.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That's the point.

It's not Yao's fault he has a faulty body. His body can't take the rigorous punishment of the NBA season. That's the whole point, is that annually the guy falls down....and is done.

Love Yao....just wish he wasn't made of glass.

13. msn

msn Member

thank you for stating it more succinctly than I did.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

+1 REP. On par with what I was going to write.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I voted Rockets as I think they have a chance at truly being contenders next season. Whether or not the Rockets get Yao back 100%, the Rockets most likely can add a very good talent in the offseason through the draft or via a trade.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Really?

Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, Matt Schaub, Owen Daniels

All our Major players, all acquired by this FO. All Pro-Bowl players. Yeah every now and then we sign a FA probably past his prime but acquiring young talent is what they do best.

Also a lot of the Texans failures have to do with how amazing our division is. Those other teams build great teams also, plus we have what some would say a top 5 QB of all time in our division. At one point two dominant defenses in the Titans and Jags.

I don't think the past two years the Texans were bad...it's just the other 3 teams in their division were better. If you look at how they have played out of the AFCS it has been good.

17. Mr. Space City

this.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

unfortunately, we are talking about who will be the next Top 1 team.

rockets ain't getting lbj or kobe, and the texans front office has no concept how to build a football team.

there is the most luck involved in baseball, and with an owner who is willing to win at all costs, anything can happen relatively quickly with the astros if draytons sells soon.

i personally think the astros are the easy answer.

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

how can you say the texans doesnt know how to build a football team? they have the QB with more passing yards last season, you got an incredible WR, you got an incredible and young defense, with Ryans, Cushing, Mario. If the texans doesnt make two or three mistakes, they are in the playoffs.

Rockets doesny need lebron or kobe to win, they need another good player like bosh, stoudamire, and they can go deep in the playoffs, and one thing Morey doesnt want to win at all costs?

the rockets and the texans are in divisions with very good teams, they have teams that been champions or at least being in the finals, a lot in this decade.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wanted to ask/bring this up again for where we are today(here or in a new thread if this gets locked). Any minds change?