1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

54 games in 101 days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Nivos

Nivos Member

Including 29 games on the road.
    Ye, this team had a brutal schedule so far. The worst in the leauge.
    Together with the 8 man rotation it's obvious why Guys are falling down on the fourth quarter lately.
    We should admire them for having such a great record so far. Hope that we'll get some rest, and take advantage of the nice home stretch getting to the All-star break.
    Good to see that awful January behind us.

#1 Nivos, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

players are tired af right now but that said, I hope we trade for Ibaka. He'd fit well in our system.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Nice! Only 12 roads games left! Though just 16 home games left at the same time. Hopefully we're over the hump and the rest of this season is downhill.

4. Nivos

Nivos Member

And it's the first time since Harden came to the team that I truly believe that extra practice time will be beneficial.
    We have amazing minds on the offensive and defensive side, and there is a lot to correct and implement, especially with a completely new team we have.
    Yes rest is crucial, and it will be nice to add a rim protector and shooter for the bench.
    But I'm truly excited to see what D'antoni can add to our offensive scheme with some practice, and how we can find the adjustment protecting our paint.
    I'm looking forward to see what comes next in this season.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its unbelievable what they did considering this schedule. they completely exceeded my expectations and they did it with the worst schedule in the league.

i admit i was wrong about our coaching hires this summer. i actually see in game adjustments and substitutions that seem to help.

we might keep stumbling into all star break, but that break will get us back on track and so will the ease of the remaining schedule. look out for us to have as strong a record as anyone post-break.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Anderson had 3 days off with the flu . . . came back as a new man . .. until yesterday
    I think legit rest
    and come playoff time they can make more adjustments and get more rest
    which is why I am not overly concerned yet

Rocket River

cbs1507 and DonKnock like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Excuses excuses...

DD

J.R. and Rocketeer4Life like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Don't think you can say that this completely excuses the poor play we've had, but you can't brush it off as if it doesn't matter, either. It clearly does.

#8 J Sizzle, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Seriously?? You think that tired legs don't make a difference on the defensive end?? Have you ever tried to play defense when your calves and quads are on fire, and your back feels tight?? I don't care that these guys are world class athletes.....they're human beings first.

DonKnock and Jayzers_100 like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . . I take it you can do 30+ minutes of this plus practice etc
    and feel absolutely no ill effects
    You would be a great on Game 1 as on Game 54?

Rocket River

DonKnock likes this.
  11. DaDakota

I dunno, I don't see San Antonio b****ing about tough stretches or the Warriors....I am sure everyone is tired.....

No excuses, you play them as they are put before you.....

I think most of the struggles are because some of our players are not mentally tough enough....Harden brings it every night - but we have some that get down on themselves.....looking at you Ryan Anderson......and that kills the flow.

No excuses.....play the games - what is happening now is that players are not moving off the ball as much, Harden is playing at too slow a pace - we need to move our feet and move our bodies and if you are tired, next man up.

DD

Hakeemtheking and Rocketeer4Life like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Actually the Spurs did use this excuse just recently after losing 2 in a row to bad teams ... even Popovich. I knew this, because I posted it in the Indiana Game thread...here's a copy of it

---------------------
    San Antonio had just come off a four-game road trip spanning six days. So naturally, fatigue might have factored into the club's meltdown, right?

"Probably," Leonard said. "But it's not an excuse. We were in the game. We were up nine or 10 points at halftime, and we gave it away."

---------------------
    Green said. "The last couple of games, defensively and offensively, we haven't been playing as well. I think it has to do with the mental lapses, and also physical. But mentally, we're making simple, easy mistakes that can be fixed. Mental fatigue plays a big part in it."

---------------------
    Versus NOLA: "We just ran out of gas," said coach Gregg Popovich.

Versus Dallas: "Too many mental errors defensively," Popovich said. "I thought we did a really poor job discipline-wise. Weak-side defense wasn't there. [Harrison] Barnes did a great job. Nobody seemed to be able to guard him. Perhaps I should've gone after him earlier. But I thought we'd be able to guard him, and we weren't. Too many weak-side errors defensively where they got to the rim just too easily. The mental mistakes defensively were really costly."

---------------------
    "Our defense was pretty poor; mainly, communication. We were always late," Ginobili said. "We went in at halftime up by 10. It wasn't bad. Then, third quarter, we just couldn't make stops. We were flat. Exactly the same thing that happened in New Orleans [during Friday's loss]. Again, very poor performance."

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Don't you coach children's sports?? If so, this is a shocking attitude to take towards fatigue. Why do you think they aren't moving?? You really think it's because they don't care? Or do you think maybe it's because they're totally drained. The Spurs haven't played this kind of stretch of games at our tempo this season......if they did, I'm willing to bet they'd show signs of fatigue too.

14. DaDakota

I understand the reality, but you have to be mentally tough to fight through it, I don't want to hear excuses, if they are tired, sit...let someone else play.

And, I don't coach kids sports any longer - my kids have been passed on to school and higher coaching, I get to sit and record the games now...much easier....

But as a coach, one thing I learned, a lot of coaches are not very detail oriented, and are easy to take advantage of because of it.....in fact most people aren't able to recognize small details that matter...and when you have a team that you can explain something small to exploit it is a helluva lot of fun....

DD

15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

It's a bit of fatigue and poor play mixed together. Obviously, there's no excuses, but things like being tired do play a part. You can't excuse being tired. It's their job to play at a high level. Everyone is tired, but you got to move past it. You got to grind it out. Sometimes though it's too much to grind out. The Miami game was no excuse. They should have won that one. Losing to the Hawks again no excuse. They stopped playing. But the collapse to the Bulls? I think they were tired.

Their overall play as well? I think they're playing a lot worse than they were in December and early January. I think they're tired. Most people would admit they're tired. Still, it shouldn't be an excuse but it definitely is a factor to their poor play since January 11th.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hear excuses from whom? People here on the BBS, or actual Rockets players.

Aren't you just debating here against excuses being tossed around by fellow cfnetters, which is a totally valid counter argument to ppl giving them excuses. But you also seem like you are turning excuses made up by fans to real things the Rockets are saying. Because I'm not reading anymore excuses from the actual Rockets than those Popovich and the Spurs are using, too. See my above post of Spurs talking about the mental fatigue you just said ppl need to "fight through." Both Kawhi and Pop also mention physical fatigue. MDA has mentioned it too, but not anymore than other teams talk about it.

17. DaDakota

I am saying no excuses, that's it...and I guess I am talking to the fans, because like you said, I don't hear the team making them....

DD

heypartner likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

@DaDakota with that Kevin McHale mentality. I like it!
    [​IMG]

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: Are the rockets more talented than either . .. . or have either had more games than the Rockets on such a compressed schedule?

Yes or No?

Rocket River

Mathloom, DonKnock and Fyreball like this.
  20. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Well what makes it worse is the fact that not only did they have a very rough schedule in a small duration but also pack that with mda's system of running, it was bound to have an effect. With that we still dearly need to move some players...

DonKnock likes this.