1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[538] Rockets Still Relevant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Jul 11, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, if Elston Turner implements the Princeton Offense with more movement, the team has to adapt.

We will see.

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Re-reading my post here, I think I was unclear. It sounds like I'm saying none of them are better than the rockets, and that I think the rockets are the best team in the league. So let me clarify, I don't think that! I think the Clippers are definitely better, I think there are some other teams that are maybe better. But I have a really hard time with "5 seed and guaranteed first round exit." Most of the teams that have improved are still worse than us.

snowconeman22, justtxyank and topfive like this.
  3. mastan

mastan Member

Rockets weren't the only team injured last season, many others were as well...and fully healthy Rockets couldn't beat GS with KD/DC injured. Rockets as of now have no legitimate Power Forward and Small Forward, not much athleticism and severely under height. There rebounding is below average and that is a big hole. They may do ok in regular season but all these weaknesses will get exposed in playoffs.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree with this. PJ at the 3 would mean we brought in an actual 4. hopefully one who can rebound and shoot.

moving ryno to the bench was the right move. we needed the defense. the trio of ariza/moute/pj got it done.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we will! not sure how elston will make an impact. i assume he's brought in to run the defense but i would welcome some wrinkles of motion offense as well. either way i think it would be an improvement from last year.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen.

forchette49 likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Still don't understand why they dumped Bzedelik. These models probably assume coaching is the same.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The only injured player I mentioned was Clint Capela for 15 games. Rivers and House weren’t hurt, they just weren’t part of the team for half of the season. This year, they will be there from day one.

Also, just because the Rockets couldn’t beat the Warriors minus Durant and Cousins in the fourth quarter of game five and game 6 doesn’t mean the Rockets aren’t contenders this season. One game from last season doesn’t have any bearing on this one.

Furthermore, as I already stated, if you simply remove the Melo stretch from last season, the Rockets win 60 games and would have been the top seed in the Western Conference playoffs. That team is returning intact this season.

Finally, P.J. Tucker is absolutely a starting-caliber player in the NBA, whether it’s at small forward or power forward.

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree completely. Even the Clippers still have to prove it on the court. Remember the Lakers with Kobe/Dwight/Nash/Gasol/Metta? On paper, that team should've won 70 games. In the real world, they won 45.

(Speaking of real word: Happy birthday, Mr. Bingo!)

clutchdabear and harold bingo like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know this isn't meaningful now, but we can't evaluate the Rockets vs the KDless Warriors based on a one game sample.

Going into that game that night I tried to explain how horrible that situation was. The Warriors had 2 games to win 1 while we were facing 2 elimination games. Anything can happen in one game. The year before when CP3 went down we could have easily beaten the Warriors in either game 6 or 7. Would that have meant we were better than them without CP3? No. In one game scenarios things can just happen.

clutchdabear, DreamShook and topfive like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lakers from a year ago. Add lebron + all the other stars, rondo, stephenson, beasley, mcghee, etc. they're a playoff team and supposed to win ~50 games.

In the real world they won 37 and missed the playoffs completely

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

So you are doubling down on the idea that you, random internet guy, are right and every computer model and Las Vegas bookie that has them top 3 or maybe #4 are wrong? Those guys whose living depends on being right and objective?

And your evidence is that the computers underestimated some teams last year?

Got it. Definitely worth the time I just spent responding.

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

What about the Big 3 League?

Kidding.

smoothie likes this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Then there is the post-Tobias Harris Clippers who EVERYONE thought was going into tank mode...

clutchdabear and topfive like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sign me up for yes on this one...

clutchdabear and Gray_Jay like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'd definitely take the now-Rockets over the now-Lakers in a 7-game series. And in a 6-game series. Even in a 5-game series if we have HCA.

clutchdabear and RudyTBag like this.
  17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Thank you, and yes, I have given up on the season already in terms of championship aspirations if this team stands pat. I'd advise you to do the same. Next season will be the battle of LA. Sorry folks.

18. forchette49

Thank you for being an objective fan.

mastan likes this.
  19. forchette49

What if we don't go into the season as presently constructed, do I get to take my bet back? Lol

20. forchette49

Yep, and don't forget about Denver. They're young, hungry, and improved over last year. That's why I have us as at 5 with Portland behind us at 6, who btw were in the WCF last year.