1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

53% of Americans Support Impeachment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

"If" he lied about it, sure... but if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle. This isn't a "53% of Americans want Bush impeached" it is "53% of Americans would impeach Bush if he was found to have lied to us..." VERY misleading title. Hell, I love Bush but if I believed he knowingly lied I'd be pretty upset and should get the same treatment as Clinton for lying.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Really? That seems like a very high threshold.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Just to be clear, you do not think GWB lied or manipulated intel in the leadup to the Iraq War?

I do not know if I would characterized what Bush did as lying. Lying is an active pursuit. I just do not think pretexts for the Iraq War were important for Bush once he made the decision to go. He had to say something publicly while he prepared for war; he just did not care what that something was.

Careless indifference to the truth would be a better description than lying.

#23 No Worries, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I guess it all depends on what the definition of is, is...

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually given satelite technology, weapons inspectors on the ground in Iraq, a no fly zone over 2/3 of the country, it would be next to impossible to hide the WMD's they were alleged to have.

In addition not every country did believe that they had WMD. Their intel showed that they did, and they got the weapons inspectors in to make sure. By the time the war started there were already doubts. In fact one former weapons inspector told us from the very beginning that they didn't have WMD's. That man was correct, but he was called a traitor, and Saddam lover. Too bad we didn't listen.

Furthermore not every country did have the same intel, and our own congress didn't have the same intel. It has been shown that Cheney's office witheld information on the WMD situation from Congress.

We know for a fact that Bush did lie. I am not talking about beleiving bad intel, he flat out lied. I am referring, once again, to the claims and then attempted cover up about a (non-existent) report from the IAEA that said Iraq was 6 months from having nukes. That may have been in a press conference and not to congress so he may get off on that technicality. We also know that he lied when he claimed WMD had been found while speaking on Polish television.

The question is does witholding key evidence constitute lying to congress, and since Cheney's office witheld it, can Bush be impeached for it?

It would be much better to answer those questions first then ask Since he lied to congress should he be impeached. If it turns out that he technically didn't lie, then the question should be, "Given the facts we know about what Bush knew about IRaq's WMD, and what he told congress should he be impeached?."

This thread title is misleading given the poll question that was asked.

6. No Worries

DIng. ding. ding.

We are parsing words again. I think the majority of average joes in the last poll I have seen say the President lied in the buildup to war. I suspect many of them think that Bush should pay the price for lying (whatever that is) while some do not. It would be the difference between thinking W did an impeachable offense and whether Bush deserves to be impeached. Personally, I would rather have Bush+Cheney out and McCain in. The country would be in so much better shape goign forward, Even though that is my preference, I am agostic about impeaching Bush. I thought impeaching Clinton was chicken sh*t of the highest order. Impeaching Bush would virtually guarantee in the short term that every President f*ckup may lead to impeachment, which in my mind is counterproductive and abusive to the process. Maybe the best place to settle Bush's wrongs is in the 2006 and 2008 elections. Who could argue btw that Bush is helping the GOP in the 2006 elections, since he is sporting some Nixon-esque approval ratings.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, talk about a loaded question.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Oh dear god please tell me we aren't getting into the "WMD intel" discussion again. All I know is that John Kerry and other members of congress had the exact same data as the President and voted for the war. No one knows for a fact what exactly the President knew and didn't know, so there is no point in stipulating it. Our intelligence community has said that the intelligence was wrong and they messed up... that is all that can be said about it, believe what you want but no one knows for sure, none of us at least.

No, I don't believe Bush lied, I think he was fed bad intel just like the rest of our lawmakers.

9. No Worries

In addition not every country did believe that they had WMD. Their intel showed that they did, and they got the weapons inspectors in to make sure. By the time the war started there were already doubts. In fact one former weapons inspector told us from the very beginning that they didn't have WMD's. That man was correct, but he was called a traitor, and Saddam lover. Too bad we didn't listen.

The weapons inspectors before the Iraq War thought that 95+% of Sadam's WMD capacity had been destroyed (with 100% of his nukulur capacity destroyed). For the remaining potential 5%, the inpsectors thought that it would be impossible to ferret them out (since Sadam said they were destroyed but could not prove it). At some point, the world would have to say that Sadam had done a good enough job. France, Russia and China were there. The US was not there, but their Iraq policy was driven more by politics than reality. We want regime change and were using all means to met the goals.

The vaulted US intelligence was also withheld from the last weapon inspection until the 11th hour. The question begs as to why. if we really knew Sadam's WMD capacity, we should have been able to assist the weapon inspection teams. BTW, our 11th hour intell was complete sh*t, yielding no WMD finds.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

i don't find the question itself particularly loaded.

But given who sponsored the poll, and the source of the news release I do doubt the objectivity of the results. What were the leadup questions?

EDIT:

On second read...even on its own, it is pretty loaded. The question wasn't should congress consider impeaching him.....but rather, whether they should consider holding him accountable through impeachment. The focus becomes holding him accountable (and consideration of that only) with impeachment being a possibility.

Nicely worded. Polling company earned their money on this one.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

That is categorically wrong.

And you're forgetting the actual resolution that congress passed.

Hint: It wasn't a resolution go to war.

God people! Educate yourselves.

[edit] have a nice weekend all!

12. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Yes, because the Bush administration has demonstrated the methodical, thorough, and critically minded approach of conservatives. :rolleyes:

Now excuse me while I attend a young democrats meeting where we selectively read headlines and take quotes out of context to whip up our liberal anger.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently you didn't read this the last time I posted. John Kerry and all the other senators did not have the exact same data as the President. They had different data. Some of the data was in fact withheld by Dick Cheney.
    It was also discussed here. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=103472&highlight=Cheney+Cabal+documents+Senate+congress

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah what a shame..

for what? to exaggerate a thread title and start a debate in a fanboard? have you never misrepresented a thread title?

so what do you think of the same method to exaggerate a country's threat and to justify a war of aggression???

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

There was never a majority for impeachment of Clinton for lying about a blow job. Even if under oath.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Well that is just my opion, it may not be correct.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This blows me away as well ~ I can't believe the nation continues to want to talk about this dead issue.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good. This is a good sign. Slowly but surely Bush administration is being exposed. American public needs to see how they are being played.

19. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Really? Did you ask T_J? bigtexxx? OddsOn? Svpernaut?

If Bush lied about WMD, should he be impeached? There you have it. A straight question. What say you?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Really? List these countries and their conclusions. And also list the US conclusions, who made them, based on what evidence. Regardless, it's very easy to arrive at a conclusion when you already know what the answer was supposed to be, and when dissenters are fired or forced out.

No. that episode occurred in 1988 before the first gulf war. And we did nothing of consequence about it at the time.

Especially if it doesn't exist. It's really easy to hide that. Blix blix blix.

And you need to get your facts straight.
    kiss of death.