1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hill’s Pier 19 is now a Joe’s Crab Shack. They used to have great poor boys, fried shrimp. You could sit upstairs and watch the shrimp boats. Sea gulls going crazy. I remember Col. Bubbie’s on the Strand. Stuffed full of military surplus goodies.

2. Buck Turgidson

That's a damn shame, we used to eat there.

Is Clary's still there, on the mainland side of where you're talking about? Greatest crab dish I've ever had in my life. "Jumbo Butter Lump Crab" I do believe it was called.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nope. It had gotten run down looking from the outside, and quite expensive, but the food was outstanding. I’m Not surprised that you remembered eating there. It closed after Ike, I think. I hadn’t been there for years.

Is the San Jacinto Inn next to the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto Monument still there? They used to have a great all you can eat seafood dinner. We would go there a couple of times a year. One of my ancestors on my father’s side (my grandmother’s maiden name, actually) has his name on the monument. I wish I knew more about it. It’s one of those family stories I was told as a kid. Everyone’s dead now that knew more than I know, which isn’t much.

My cousin and I used to crawl all inside the Texas where you weren’t supposed to go. You just climbed over or under the chain across an open hatch. You could do it before they worked on the great ship. I think it needs work on it again. There’s a state building over by the Capital that has a large model of the Texas, tricked out like it was around World War One. It has the big towers they used before radar to spot the enemy. Wish I could remember where it was. My significant other showed it to me when she worked for the state.

#43 Deckard, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  4. Buck Turgidson

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

I just hope they find Alice on there someday.