1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

49ers have seen all they needed to from David Carr

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by emjohn, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not sure. He went away after last season was over. I expected to see him again once this season started, but so far nothing.

I didn't always agree with his opinions, but he was definitely very knowledgeable. Always made the Texans threads more fun. Plus, he's a Cy Creek alum.

2. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Anyone know how much $$$ david carr has made in the nfl?

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yes, he was just as much of a bust as crouch, smith, etc. What is your point?

4. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Then why did you say this?

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Because its true?

And if they failboat, then theyre either a bust or the voters are stupid, possibly both.

I dont buy the "its a different game" argument.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I watched the SF-Caroline game on Sun. Carr appeared in midseason form: 2-7, 1 INT, 0 TDs.

7. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

But it is a different game. The overall talent and skill level in the NFL is miles ahead of the college game.

Nebraska runs a glorified option QB high school offense; there will never be a great NFL quarterback that's a Cornhusker. The Run and Shoot made Andre Ware. Ron Dayne can thank his great OL at Wisconsin for his Heisman.

And I think juicystream said it best:
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. :)

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

But brian_chapman says Carr is better than Schaub.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you could watch with your eyes and see that Tommy Frazier was a tremendous college QB.

you could watch with your eyes and tell that Tommy Frazier would never make it as a pro QB.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

How can you qualify as the "best player in ncaa football" when you are essentially admitting that these guys are a product of a gimmick? Seems like an open admission that the voters are stupid and not basing their vote on talent... If you want to shield the players from the bust label, then the blame has to go somewhere.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't understand what you mean. Tommy Frazier was absolutely the best player in college football that season. No question about it. He was nearly unstoppable. For the college game, he was the best player.

Unfortunately for Tommy, that offense doesn't work at the pro level. That doesn't make it gimmicky. It was straight up, we're gonna run it down your throat, including our quarterback, football. He could pass when needed..but it just wasn't as necessary as it is in the pro game.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But it is not about talent. The best player isn't always the most talented. Its about being the right guy, on the right team, in the right system. The fact that Tommy Frazier ran the option doesn't make him any less great. He ran that offense better than anyone else.

If there is a complaint to made about the system, it is that it generally rewards RBs and QBs. Rarely does a player from another position win the Heisman. And it it also gives strong favor to the major programs.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'll say again that the Heisman voters are garbage and typically vote for "Standout Player on Best Team" - you have to be otherworldly for them to give you the Heisman if you were on a fringe Bowl team or worse. One example in my book - Michael Crabtree. Ridiculous he didn't get it.

But to counter your point - it's unfair to call college systems a gimmick because they don't fit in the pros. Talent is defined by the NFL. Jordan was one of the most talented athletes ever to walk the Earth...and he sucked at baseball. We have the most talent basketball players around the world, and they struggle badly in FIBA play (and don't even try to say it - the NBA star-and-scoring-centric rule changes have made it the gimmick).

But I'll boomerang back and say that your base thought isn't terrible - I'd agree that if the Heisman really went to the best player in college, you'd say the Heisman guy go in the first 5 picks of every draft.

Success...that's more position dependent. QBs are a dice roll every time.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hmm, gonna be interesting to see what Troy Smith brings to the table.

SF needs to get rid of Alex Smith bad, IMO. They are in the situation the Texans were stuck in.

15. Major

Major Member

If you run for 2000 yards or throw for 5000 yards or score 30 touchhdowns, why does it matter how it happened? The goal is to move the ball and score - if you're doing it and other guys aren't, that makes you pretty good.

And you're right - they don't base their vote on talent. That's not the purpose of the award. They base their vote on what players actually accomplish. If Reggie Bush was injured for 10 of the 12 USC games, he'd still be just as talented - but wouldn't have gotten any votes because innate talent has little to do with the award.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Yep, Alex Smith is costing this team games. The fact that he's the best option available speaks volumes. Maybe they can draft some Ryan Mallet or something this year.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I actually read several articles that said Alex Smith would break out this year and have a really good season. I don't think the 9ers have even been trying to replace him.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

To add to your point, Alex Smith has been pretty decent since his near benching on Monday Night Football.

If the Niners had anywhere near the shut down defense they had last year they would at least be 3-4 at this time.

I do like Troy Smith. He should be able to get something done with Crabtree and V Davis as big time targets. We shall see...

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Add Jesus Tebow to that list.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I love how that entire picture is a time warp. I wonder if he got that hi-top on Scott Street.