1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 years @4.5mil per

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Since75, May 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hope you're right. 'Twould be nice. Moving up in the draft, though, probably requires the #18 pick...and no one's said boo about it yet. I think we find out pretty soon, though.

And this Olauwon-Dallas thing: sounds like a good scare tactic from Olajuwon's demonic agent to force the Rockets' hand. I sure wouldn't want to see him on the Mavs.

------------------

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

realistic? Maybe. VERY optimistic? Most definitely.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I am almost positive that the Rockets won't be drafting Richard Jefferson. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed on draft day because the Rockets won't be drafting a conventional small forward. No chance for Jefferson or Joe Johnson being Rockets. I also think Shane Battier is a smokescreen. He just doesn't seem like a conventional Rudy pick. Rodney White may be a slight possibility due to his versatility, but I can't see them going this route either.

I've never seen Gasol play, but from what I've read, this guy sounds like a Rudy T. draft pick. I think they will make every effort this month to move up in the draft to nab him, but will fall short. [It makes no sense for a team in the top-5 to trade down for two lesser players. Let's be realistic here...only fans drool over mid first-round possibilities. To GM's, it's just more undeveloped players on the cap.] They will then, IMO, explore avenues to package all three picks along with Cato or Williams in exchange for a 2nd round draft pick. [this will allow them to trade dead weight w/out taking on dead weight.] If all fails, you will see the Rockets pay off obligations with the #18 and #22, and draft the most versatile big man at #13.

Only one thing is for sure. The Rockets will not have more than one first rounder.

------------------
    how could you not want c-webb?

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

thacabbage, like the draft much? [​IMG]

( 3 picks + Cato (or Williams)) == ( One second round draft pick ) [​IMG] [​IMG]

cab, I know you hate Cato and Williams, but sheez. Using the whole fist doc? I hate Cato but even in my biased mind I'm thinking Cato + 22 for an early 2nd rounder and I even know that's not going to happen.

Why is it not going to happen? Because if Webber doesn't come here, then any additional cap space is bull**** and will just let you overpay Shandon, Mo and Dream. Short of Webber, the best chances for the Rockets to improve, imo, is in the draft.

------------------
    You're a fine woman, why don't you mock that draft up

5. MManal

MManal Member

"Wait a minute...what is the cap situation in Dallas? Will they have enough to sign Dream outright after re-signing Finley? It doesn't seem like they would."

The Mavs are currently over the cap and have Michael Finley's Larry Bird Rights. This has absolutely no bearing on Dream b/c the 4.5 mil is the middle class exception that they are using. The middle class exception will be rising from 2.2 to about 4.5 mil this season. That basically means that any capped out team can pay Olajuwon this kind of cash. The Rockets dont have this exception b/c they will be under the cap.

Also, I agree with Cabbage's point about the 13th pick. I think the Rockets will fill their SF hole but not at that selection unless the right player falls. If a player like Joe Johnson or Rodney White were on the board, they'd look at it, but I doubt they will take a Richard Jefferson. My guess is that they would ecstatic if Pau Gasol fell, but will likely end up with the choice of the following group of players:

Loren Woods, Michael Bradley, Troy Murphy, Brendan Haywood

Out of that group, I would guess they take Woods or Bradley.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for the great info Since75....even though I'm not one to care about rumors. [​IMG]

I thought I'd help with this remark of yours:

There is one thing in the CBA that could make this illegal. By "could" I mean the clause is an interpretation clause.

The league reserves the right to declare a contract illegal if it believes the contract is attempting to exploit weaknesses in the CBA rules, or usurp the spirit of the CBA entirely. This is catch-all, loop-hole protection clause.

So, the questions are: (1) would the league balk at a lengthy contract on Dream as usurping the salary cap rules, or (2) would they allow it now but void it later if Dream retires in 2 yrs.

I think a 4yr deal has a high probability of looking illegal and not worth the risk of it being voided. That is my guess.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited May 29, 2001).]

7. Toast

Toast Member

I don't think team ownership is an option. You can't play on the team if you're a part owner.

Here's my question. Let's just say, for argument's sake, the Rockets put Dream on waivers, then sign Webber, and a couple of their current free agents, and that puts them at or above the salary cap. Can the Rockets then sign Dream for the 4.5 mil exception? Or is there a rule against that?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

8. heypartner

Toast,

This thread is about payment for a phantom 2 yrs. The CBA is very clear how bonuses and other incentives count against the cap. This thread is about how to reward him after two years. All I meant is contrasting the legality of paying for 2 phantom years (with an "early" retirement agreement) later down the road versus the more business-sense approach of offering ownership later for promotional value. Now, what is Hakeem's promotional value for staying, is a different matter.

But we can easily see how the Since75 "early retirement" scheme (not meaning to question your sources, man [​IMG] ) could become a loop-hole scam if Stern let's it fly. However, allowing franchises to make %-ownership deals with 15-yr vets, hall of fame franchise players to retire them and reap the promotional benefits of the last hurray tour, blah blah blah, is something the league office is more likely to turn the other cheek on.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited May 29, 2001).]

9. Since75

Since75 Member

HeyP, Appreciate the help. I'm with you on the plausibility of the ownership deal. I just hope Dream stays here, but as I said, the indication I got from the individual is that he likely will not. Dream seems pretty adamant. Also, regarding how long I would pursue Webber. Not very long. I know he will give the Rockets 20 and 10 every night, but it's somewhat self defeating to me to have him here if we lose the best big man available to us and potentially losing other valuable pieces of the puzzle just trying to sign the guy. IMHO (and I know there are posts to deal with this) I would rather have a 24 year Taylor with a lot of upside and a big SF along with Dream.

------------------

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

If the contract would theoretically be for 4 years at $4.5 million, I don't think it's Orlando who made the offer. The Magic would like a 2 year deal at the same level, but Dream probably wouldn't.

After all, the Magic will have the cap room (assuming they don't sign Webber, maybe still if they sign Davis) in 2003 to go after Tim Duncan once again and won't want two years of $5+ million tied up in a player who isn't even playing.

------------------

11. Achebe

I think heyp is right,,, if the team isn't the Rockets. One of the league's rules for implementing the CBA was to restrict FA movement. I don't think that they would punish the Rockets in an attempt to keep their own FA icon...

Besides, teams implement 'safety net contract dollars' every time they offer up a player option.

------------------

12. heypartner

The other thing the Rockets could probably get away with is Les giving a fraction of a percentage ownership of the team. If it is a money thing, I say most definitely the Rockets have the best chance getting Dream....the chance being somewhat inversely proportional to the chance of getting Webber...and also dependent on how long we wait for Webber to decide.

Here is a question for everyone. How long would you deal with Webber at the horrific expense of losing Mo', Shandon, and Dream while doing it....and coming up empty handed with Webber. Now that is a nightmare.

13. cometsluv4play

why can't houston match the offer...to keep him?

------------------
    In Tina, Janeth, Amaya and Amanda, i still believe!

Mr. 4play has spoken. :D

14. Gascon

Gascon Member

Amen.

------------------
    Gascon

15. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

So I guess the Jordan comeback is just another rumor..........

------------------
    ``We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

Because he's not a restricted free agent. He's free to go wherever he wants, unlike what GS can do for Marc Jackson (who is a restricted free agent).

------------------

17. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Jordan would have to sell his shares prior to joining the roster.

------------------

18. Franchisedream

I hope the Rockets can get the Dream back. There is the sentimental part of that, but also there aren't that many better centers out there, and none that we could get. Shaq, Mutumbo, and Duncan are taken.

Also if the Rockets draft a big man, then who better for that draftee to learn from than the Dream?

------------------

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Achebe, if you were a team with capspace (Detroit, Clippers, Chicago), would you take on that crap (Cato's contract) for a measly late first rounder?

20. Achebe

touche. If you were the Rockets w/ 3 picks, why would you package them w/ Cato just to get rid of him. [​IMG]

------------------