1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 years @4.5mil per

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Since75, May 28, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Since75

Since75 Member

This is a figure and amount of years that allegedly has been offered to Dream by a undislcosed team. Of course Dream would retire after 2 years and still receive his money. The goal is to still give Dream the roughly 18 -20 mil he seeks. I don't know if that's even legal under the CBA but it was stated by a person with a long relationship with Dream. He also appears to like Orlando alot. Wherever he goes, if not here, it will be close and a warm weather city. Also, it appears that the Rockets are very high on Rodney White. They are not as high on Jefferson as far as using the 13th pick on him.

Before everyone jumps all over this, please understand that I had reservations about even posting anything. I did so because the individuals making the statements are in one case very close to Dream and the other a member of the Rockets' player personnel staff.

------------------

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

hey since, thanks for the info. Was this something that you personally heard from someone or something that you lucky kids get to hear from fox sw/ or the other media in Houston?

------------------
    You're a fine woman, why don't you mock that draft up

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

nice info since. Sounds like a good offer for Dream.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I do think that White will be a great player who can get up the floor and do some infactic stuff with Francis and Mobley. Here is a question, if the Rockets find out who offered him this money would they shout tampering? THEY SHOULD!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Stevierebel

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I remeber my Lary Coon FAQ, once players hit a certain age there is a additional progressive amount. (For instance, hypothetically, at age 38 a player's contract counts as 110%, at 39 120%, etc.) As long as it doesn't specificaly state that Hakeem would retire and nobody comes up with a T-Wolves type gaffe, I don't see how the NBA could stop them.

------------------

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

A crazy thought :

Just an undisclosed team?

Or an undisclosed team other than the Rockets?

------------------
    Charles Barkely on the Raptors defeating the Knicks in Round 1 :"I think it was the Lord. The Lord was with the Raptors. You know the Knicks like to talk so much about religion, but I think the Lord was a Raptor fan."

7. Since75

Since75 Member

Achebe, I spoke with both individuals today after working out with both of them. As I stated earlier, I wasn't sure I wanted to post anything for fear of questions about credibility and the like. I wish I was a kid still but those days are long gone. [​IMG]

------------------

8. Since75

Since75 Member

Stevie, let's face it, there are conversations had between agents and GM's all the time. Most deals are done in principal long before the media gets wind of it. Technically, I don't think the Rockets could yell tampering because Dream is a free agent. I'm not sure about that though.

------------------

9. MManal

MManal Member

Interesting info, thanks for the tidbit Since75. This info makes a whole lot of sense b/c 4.5 mil is exactly what the mid level exception is expected to jump to. My guess is that the offer is from a contending team that is totally capped out so taking on a few extra yrs of salary is not that big of an issue. Paying 9 mil extra to Dream must be worth it to them b/c they apparently feel that he could be the piece to put them over the top.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

10. Since75

Since75 Member

Peudlfor, the way it was said was that the person couldn't say what team, but I can tell you it wasn't the Rockets. As I said during the conversation, Orlanda was mentioned and although I neglected to say it earlier, Dallas was as well. The Dallas statement was more of if Dream went there, etc. Cuban does have the wherewithal to do whatever he wants however, and that is close to home. Milwaukee was even mentioned but I blew that off and so did the person because Dream will not go to cold weather climate and it was too far away from here.

------------------

11. Since75

Since75 Member

My sentiments exactly Mmnal. I just hate to think of this because it is becoming more and more apparent that Dream is done here in Houston, unless something miracolous happens. The Rockets really do appear to be moving toward winning now with whatever moves they make and Dream is not as much as a focal point as he probably should be. It appears that there is a split in the organization about exactly what should be done with Dream.

------------------

12. MManal

MManal Member

Dallas makes a whole lot of sense. Hakeem gets to stay in Texas and play for a team that is on the brink of making a jump into the elite of the NBA. They need someone capable in the middle to take the next step, and Dream provides them that. If Dream provided a similar contribution to what he added to the Rockets in the second half of last season, that could put the Mavs squarely in the hunt for the Midwest Division title. What is 9 mil extra to Cuban? Nothing more than tip money.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

OK, it was a longshot.

Good Scoop, if dissapointing in a way.

------------------
    Charles Barkely on the Raptors defeating the Knicks in Round 1 :"I think it was the Lord. The Lord was with the Raptors. You know the Knicks like to talk so much about religion, but I think the Lord was a Raptor fan."

14. Since75

Since75 Member

Mmanal, those are basically the exact comments made today. Dallas makes sense. I sure would hate to see Dream go there.

------------------

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice info Since75 -- thanks for passing this along.

Would be interesting to see if Dallas is a serious potential location for Dream... would put those rumors at the trading deadline in to perspective.

White is big for a SF... moves well. Turns 21 the day after the draft so he's got a lot of upside. Jefferson would be a good pick ... at #13 maybe, but I can't see him lasting to #18 (then again, I can't see the Rockets having the 18th pick when it's all said and done)

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wait a minute...what is the cap situation in Dallas? Will they have enough to sign Dream outright after re-signing Finley? It doesn't seem like they would.

As for White, I don't know much about him, and nobody has really pondered the possibility of trading up to get him, but I suppose it could be done.

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

17. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I would think they could, because we haven't renounced him yet, but I'm not sure either. In any event, if it's discovered that the deal was done before the trade deadline, then they'd be in trouble. Let's hope it's Detroit, so we can screw them the way they are trying to screw us around on the 18th pick. [​IMG]

------------------

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I like White, in all honesty. He's a good kid and he has ties to Mobley and Francis because he is from Philly and played in the DC summer leagues. The question is, will he be available at 13?

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

19. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

His agent would tell you he won't be, but realistically, who knows? If they are truly high on him, I wouldn't take the risk of missing out on him by hoping he slips to 13.

------------------

20. Sane

Sane Member

I still think Houston are gonna pull off re-signing Dream, but only if Webber's here. If we offer Moochie early bird, and We sign Webber to slightly below the max (which he said he'd definitely do for a better shot at the title), then we'd have roughly 4 million to offer dream? Who else will give him more than 4-4.5? Plus, we'd be in direct contention for the title. No one else (that will sign him) can give him that.

When everything's said and done, I think Houston's gonna end up with Webber, Olajuwan, and a SF that we moved up to get. It's not optimistic, it's VERY realistic.

------------------