1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd Attempt: GOP/Trump Repeal & Replace ACA and Trump lie about pre-exist coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont support any party that continues to put the power in the insurance companies hands. Pre-existing conditions must be ran through the government. Any other solution is not sustainable. Obamacare is not sustainable. Unless you have good employer health coverage, or extremely poor or extremely rich, you're screwed when it comes to healthcare.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

the heck with American citizens, the true beneficiaries of the Trump/republican health care plan... though I bet health insurance stocks also rose...

Senate GOP's Health Bill Sends Hospitals, Pharma Stocks Higher
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lth-bill-sends-hospitals-pharma-stocks-higher

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The only unifying ethos of the Republican party seems to be an abiding hatred for the poor and actively making their lives more difficult, in order to make life better for the very rich.

There seems to be no principle other than that, all of the other things like small government, fiscal responsiblity, racism etc are just vehicles for the one common goal.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

GOP at its very core is a party for the rich, but since there are only so many rich people in the country, they had to find other means to make the non rich vote against their self interest.

glynch likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Um most of us can emphatically say "no" to this. Never can any of us be party before country, even though many seem to succomb to this ra-ra team first mentality. I think examples of that are obvious around here.

But I really do NOT want a crappy new bill to pass. I want them to fix the existing system, or blow it up to the point of single payer. Those are the only reasonable options.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. B-Bob

Totally disagree, Sam. Seriously, the unifying principle is just being anti-liberal. That's it, period.
    In that real voices exist and plan on the right, I agree with you, but the rambling chaos they represent, practically, is all just anti-liberal. That's especially true for their mouth piece, FOX, and for the house republican herd of cats.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This. I wouldn't be surprised if majority of Trump supporters are still Trump supporters today just because they want to piss of 'libtards'.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Credit to Rand Paul for standing up to the Senate Republicans and working to force a better bill rather than just passing Obamacare 2.0 as the rest of the Republicans want to do.

9. SamFisher

That's not just wrong but dangerously wrong because it blinds you to the reality that despite all of the outward chaos of the GOP's coalition of deplorables, rich folks, religious conservatives, and the rest - there's real policy being made to effectuate what is effectively appropriation of democracy by a tiny group of rich folks and their enablers and policies that are seemingly not related like voter suppression, charter schools, and the disaster of Trumpcare all point to this end of suppression of the have-nots. Being contrarian is a means to this end, but it's nto the end that a lot of people who are underwriting this are aiming for - it's nothign less than the more or less destruction of society as we know it. There is a good article about it in slate here.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Opinion: The verdict on Trumpcare: A phenomenal waste of time
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-verdict-on-trumpcare-a-phenomenal-waste-of-time-2017-06-22

B-Bob likes this.
  11. B-Bob

Fine points. I dispute the "dangerous," as my views aren't going to sway it one way or another. I'll be speaking, voting, and donating against the bastards* until I'm dead. But I otherwise hear what you're saying, that the chaos is just a convenient cover for the nasty, step-by-step dissolution.

I'd call that an acceleration of a tend that's been ongoing since about 1981, or earlier.

* = oligarchs, not necessarily Republicans. At present, the Republican leadership does the bidding of oligarchs, but it need not be that way in all possible futures.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The anti-liberalism is what unites the voters behind things they otherwise wouldn't support.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do love that our friends on the left still haven't learned their lesson when it comes to the blanket demonization of everyone who doesn't tow the DNC party line. Keep it up kids, I'm sure it'll result in different results eventually!

#353 Bobbythegreat, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  14. fchowd0311

Yes, the wealthy conservative vote out of a desire to be more wealthy while the poor conservative cares about making liberals butthurt.

15. fchowd0311

This is like the go to Reddit t_d poster response to arguments they can't counter.

16. SamFisher

I came for the racism but all I got was medicare cuts!

Canadiandude and justtxyank like this.
  17. B-Bob

I can't really imagine this shamockery passing. How much pressure can be applied to more moderate senators when the American public sees through it to the harm coming?

I've been wrong plenty of times, but I really don't see the turtle's strategy here, unless it's just to set up a a quick path to the usual "well, we would have if not for those pesky, whiny, country-ruining democrats!"

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Secret healthcare bill released - followed by a Trump tweet on secret 'tapes' - media goes nuts - 16 dimensional superstring checkers.

MAGA

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Being a politician has to be the easiest job in the world
    They don't even write their own bills anymore

Rocket River

20. Major

Major Member

So the Senate bill repeals the individual mandate, but keeps restrictions on barring pre-existing conditions, if I understand correctly? This seems like it will end well.