1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#3 Oklahoma vs #15 Houston

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I think that's what it's set to record (by accident). It's supposed to come on around 11:30pm. No biggie. I can watch it later.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

<iframe src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=17458388&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

3. what

what Member

Who is that guy on the fg return call that loses his ****: YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS, lol

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Remind me in two days to look for the full game. I'll hit you up then.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Should have been 40-6 if we didn't beat ourselves a few times.

6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Bring on Alabama!!!( Am I doing this college football thing right?)

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Bring on everyone! ;)

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Ted Pardee

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

Prediction: UH jumps to #7 after this game and OU drops to #16

Not too far fetched? I have it in my head that OU will drop double digit spots in the rankings.

10. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Houston will definitely jump OU, LSU, loser of FSU/Ole Miss and probably Tennessee after it's almost loss to App State.

So that puts UH at #11 at least.

If UT beats Notre Dame tomorrow, then Houston will jump them too.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't know about that score but it sure looked like UH slowly squeezed the life out of OU after the first quarter. You just don't see group five teams physically handle top ranked power five teams like that. I was worried the team was going to miss Elandon Roberts but Oliver totally dominated the line. OU just couldn't run the ball after a while. After they stopped the run, the UH defense laid the wood to Mayfield and sacked him a bunch of times. That was legit big time football today. It was incredibly impressive and I didn't think the UH offense was sharp today though they moved the chains pretty consistently and didn't turn it over. You could see that King is going to be a great compliment to Catalon.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Very proud of the Cougars. I didn't go to school there, but my wife did, and I'm just so pumped as a native Houstonian to see them rep our city so well.

13. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

AND new transfer Duke Catalon had 88 yards HIMSELF > whole OU team

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I gotta say.... It was a good day.

1 person likes this.
  15. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Just like your HERO Trump. Never can admit a mistake or when he is WRONG! :grin::p:rolleyes:

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He'll be jumping into UH threads whenever he can troll. One of the rare years when Rice beat Houston and someone talked about all the injuries UH had he said how injuries don't matter, teams overcome them, blah, blah, blah. The next year when UH beat Rice, one of the first things he mentioned was the injuries Rice had.

In 2011 he boasted about how Rice "trucked" UH in the first quarter (Rice led 17-14) even though Houston ended up winning by 39 points.

#357 bobrek, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/co...l&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=college

On the biggest opening weekend in history, Houston had the nation’s attention at noon eastern and they made a monster statement. It started out with Oklahoma looking like the top-5 team everyone thought they were, as the offense was a fine mix of Heisman hopeful Baker Mayfield spreading the ball around at quarterback to one of the best two-headed monsters in the backfield in Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon. However, the Houston defense cracked down to hold the Oklahoma offense in check, while QB Greg Ward Jr. stated his early case for the Heisman.

Starting on defense it was a coming out party for cornerback Brandon Wilson, who was Houston’s top-graded defensive player while adding some “kick-six” magic with a 109-yard return for a touchdown on a short Oklahoma field goal. True freshman defensive tackle Ed Oliver introduced himself to the nation as well as one of the top recruits in the class, posting the top grade in the front-7 to go with two sacks and a team-high six stops.

As for Ward, last year’s top-graded running quarterback moved the ball with his arm as the run game was limited, but he finished 23-for-40 for 321 yards with two touchdowns. While he’s still inconsistent from an accuracy standpoint, Ward’s dual-threat ability puts the defense in a bind, creating a number of open throws. He also did a fine job of spreading the ball around, showing that he’s capable of leading the offense even if he’s held in check in the running game (14 yards on 16 designed runs). Check out his passing performance in the chart below:

[​IMG]

Houston got through their toughest challenge, so keep an eye on their quest for an undefeated season and a playoff berth.

19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

UH shutdown OU "best 1-2 running back tandem in the nation" After OU opening drive, where they gained 61 yards on the ground. They got NINE total for the rest of the game. That's the game.

Orlando is a scheming demon. SHUTDOWN Cook in the Peach Bowl when everyone said FSU would run right through UH. With Ed Oliver on board look out.

20. the shark

the shark Member

As happy as I am about beating OU yesterday I think it ultimately may hurt our chances to get voted in to the Big12. Hear me out on this, and I hope I'm wrong about feeling this way.

I've been on record in other threads about UH being a sleeping giant, and what the ramifications could be if Pandora's box is opened and they vote us in. Look what we're doing right now, and we're not in a P5 conference. Have beaten FSU and OU back to back, and the recruiting has been incredible under Herman and his staff.

My understanding is it takes 8 of the current 10 schools to say yes to get us in. Ok St isn't going to vote yes nor will KU, KST, and Iowa St, and IMO there's no way Baylor, TCU and Tech are all voting yes. It definitely would give UH a huge recruiting advantage over these schools in the greater Houston area, and why would these smaller schools in the Big12 vote to bring in a school that could be a beast in the yrs to come? I don't think they (the schools I've listed) really care about gaining the greater Houston TV market IMO.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this?

That said, we just need to keep taking care of business, and IMO eventually another P5 conference will want us even if the Big12 votes no.