1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 games in, what changes would you make to the rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 22, 2018.

1. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Starters

Cp3
    Harden
    Tucker
    Melo
    Capela

Bench

Gordon
    Ennis
    Green
    Chriss/hartenstein

Sub melo and cp3 our first, then bring in gordon and ennis.
    Then start the 2nd quarter with
    Cp3
    Gordon
    Ennis
    Melo
    Hartenstein/nene

BigShasta likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's either working or he becomes a glorified slightly younger ISO Joe.

I also think starting Melo is an option MDA cannot refuse during the season or play him 32 minutes.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Just reducing MCW minutes as D’Antoni is/would be doing if CP3 were not suspended.

Hartenstein should get minutes just as Jordan Bell got minutes last year with the Warriors.

Nene gets healthy.

Chriss gets healthy.

Gary Clark gets comfortable in system.

Melo was shooting well from 3 in the preseason; but slumping now. I still want him taking about 8 threes a game.
    His quick release and ability to hit 37% or greater from CnS 3’s can be potent. I don’t care whether he starts or
    comes off the bench......role remains the same.

4. gabion

gabion Member

If their will be no egos involved.. I would start Clark over Ennis..

hakeem94 and fattz like this.
  5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Either bring green or melo into the starters

6. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

If we were 2-1, I'd be happy. Ennis is playing better than I expected. Anthony is playing better than I expected. Paul seems to be healthy, and I thought he was crippled for life. Harden is playing better than I expected. Capela is playing well, though the "I wish I was Dennis Schroeder" hair emboldens opponents' big men to just kick our butts. Tucker is playing well. Green is playing well. This team is better than I thought it would be, though I 'm not sure it will last. Sounds snarky, but I don't mean it that way.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. jayfree

jayfree Member

I would start Jimmy Butler and Lebron James. Unsure why we haven't activated those two yet

D-rock likes this.
  8. carib

carib Member

Seems MDA is still trying to sort of the right mix of players to play together, a lot of new players. Rockets really struggled against teams with length/big front line especially in rebounding and conceding points in the paint. MDA and Rogers may take a few more games to figure the right mix for offense and defense.

Ennis III - needs to work on the right mix of aggression and not getting into foul trouble on the defensive end. Hopefully will get better as the season goes on.

Melo - Supposed to be the offensive spark off the bench. Perhaps run a few plays with a Melo iso on the low block (doubting the coaches will consider doing that), let him get to the basket, shoot a very short range shot, draw a foul or set up an open team mate when Harden or CP3 are not running an iso, otherwise look for a catch and shoot 3 pt shot. They have to get his rhythm going on offense to negate any problems on the defense.

Hartenstein - Rockets need his rebounding, shot blocking and getting open under the basket when Capela is not on the court or is not able to play. Needs to try to stay out of foul trouble. Hopefully he too will get better over the season.

Clark - a potential 3 & D player that is going to need playing time to get better and contribute. Also needs to try to stay out of foul trouble.

MCW - probably needs the ball in his hands to help the Rockets since he is not a good shooter. He too could via an iso attack the basket and try and get a lay up or dish to an open team mate at the basket or 3 pt line, no 3s, no midrange shots for him unless the clock is running out.

Anyway, post getting too long. In short MDA and company hopefully with more time will figure out each player better and get the right combos on the court. The next three games are against competitive teams which will show the coaching staff more the areas needing improvement.

Rashmon likes this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

I would start
    Capela / Clark / Tucker / Harden / Paul
    Bench
    Gorden / Melo / Hartenstein (Find a 3&D point guard - Melton was perfect for this role)
    -YES I would start a rookie—> Melo gets a lot of the minutes and plays the role of glue guy.
    -defense drives the offense
    -rebound & run
    -Ennis —> defense & Green —> offense —> spot minuets as needed
    - MCW doesn’t see the court

-I trade what ever it takes for Butler and fill in with g league players.

10. High Vibrationz

I believe they should sample putting Clark in starting lineup mainly because he can defend and shoot 3s.
    Cp3
    Harden
    Clark
    Tucker
    Capela

BENCH
    Gordon
    Ennis
    Melo
    Chriss or Nene depending who we playing .When knight comes back we put him in the starting bench.

fattz and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I keep seeing people say start Melo …. and I hope I'm reading it wrong but I read it again and I'm reading it correctly.

Melo has been ….. Bad.

MCW has been Bad.

They both need to be banished to the alternate plane of existence where guitar picks go when you drop them , its like they disappear …. that's where the lost socks go too.

hakeem94 and J Sizzle like this.
  12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

no Tucker or Melo playing backup center

fattz likes this.
  13. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Would be nice if Chriss didn't have Asik-tier hands, Ennis-tier defensive instincts, while giving Matador-Harden levels of defensive effort.

Vivi, hakeem94 and vonwafer like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this needs to happen, his play was so mature in the preseason

fattz likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It's not the ration; it's the personnel. And this ain't no knee jerk.

Bottom line is we just don't fit. We can't expect Ennis and Melo to replace what Luc and Ariza gave us last year. They are radically different players. We've got a huge defensive hole.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we lost a game vs pelicans and 2 games vs clippers last year with luc and ariza on the roster

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm not reacting to the losses; just the roster itself. We lost too much defense. I dont think we are better than last year. Barring additional roster moves I don't see this team competing with Golden State (who actually did get better this offseason).

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what makes you think defense is more important than offense?

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

great post , thank you!

btw Utah Jazz is 1-2 on the season just like we are and they are projected to be 2nd seed and they are not missing any players imho

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Boom. Morey brought back different players but never changed his 3 or Layup strategy.