1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

25 year old man murdered in Georgia for jogging while black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, May 6, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rednecks refers to a lifestyle. There really isn't a racial slur for whites.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It doesn't matter. They were arrested for a homicide, not racism.

Nook and amaru like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It matters in this thread, starting with the thread title.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. Congratulations, whites, nothing can hurt you. You are truly supreme over us. Now I finally understand what white supremacy means.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

If it makes everyone feel better, I’ll pretend to be offended by redneck .

AleksandarN and JumpMan like this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Question the phrase cracker doesn't count.

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I get it. And I actually agree. We all know that the word that actually hurts whites is another R word.

I don't think these types of words should ever be used, but when they are, we should just move on. Forgive and forget. Ask any recovered racist and they'll tell you that they suffered in their hate.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Racist or otherwise, don't know why defending a slur is a hill you want to die on. I'm just asking nicely. Please don't use it, I'm offended by it.

Black people sometimes call themselves *******. Doesn't mean it isn't racist for someone else to call them that. Just like that slur has been reclaimed for pride, or queer has been reclaimed, so had redneck. Doesn't mean that using it as a slur to demean others is now okay.

Aiming for these two murderers and hitting me instead. Thanks.

So it discriminates according to a culture instead of a race, and therefore not racist? So if I crack a joke about a black dude eating fried chicken and watermelon, its not racist because I'm talking about his culture? Or if I call an Arab a towel head, it's okay because its about his culture? Or, to complete the circle, if I say 'of course that guy blew up a plane, he's just another one of those towel heads,' that's all fine? Because what yall are telling me is that pick any random redneck and you should not be surprised if he goes and murders a black guy in cold blood if you give him half a chance, because that's what they do. Rednecks lynch black people, towel heads blow up planes, how could it be any other way. It's their culture, amirite?

body slam likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

this thread is getting derailed

I will stop calling the murderous McMichaels that. Cool? Everybody good now? U will not see that word from me again.

AleksandarN and JuanValdez like this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Good deal.

Let’s just call them pieces of ****.

AleksandarN, FranchiseBlade and Reeko like this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

When is the last time you heard someone call another person a cracker?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not the same thing. Not by a mile. There is no history of oppression associated with the word "redneck". I don't think it's easy to understand what makes a word embedded with negative meaning.

But it's day and night. White people were never put in chains and called "rednecks" like subhuman animals. There's no connection like that.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

When's the last time someone called you one of those?

By the way, they are great with peanut butter

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

NSFW

Redneck brah needs a bra.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I can't agree - so many white people I know refer to themselves as a redneck. And most often the people who use the term redneck as an insult are white people.

If it's a slur it's mainly a white on white slur, so how can it be racist?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It could be considered a classist insult, like white trash. White Trash, in particular, carries the connotation that whites are above average and needs the trash distinction unlike the "other races".

Southerners like using redneck if only to distinguish themselves against their uppity northern cousins. Ofc, it's that attitude that elects folksy morons like G Dub instead of some out of touch geek like his father who actually served wars and did things in his early life.

File this under "Things that bother insecure wipo" along with Antifa, SPLC, and BET...it's 2020, y no WET????

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Just the other day as a matter of fact and i think we all know whom they were calling that.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At this point it's just public speculation. We never will be certain. We can only be confident in our assumption or not. This wouldn't get a successful conviction as a hate crime chargr because it's impossible to be certain "beyond a reasonable doubt" in this incident. But the court of law has a much higher threshold for conviction than the court of public opinion.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well there you go. Cracker has a case of being a racist term. But redneck? Please.