1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Trade Deadline Part 2: What’s Next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Feb 1, 2024.

1. HealthyHamstring

We have all been under the assumption that Rockets were going to make 1 or 2 moves at the deadline and that was it. They just made their “Part 1” deal by acquiring Steven Adams.

The question now is what does Part 2 of the 2024 Trade Deadline look like for Houston? The first question to answer is what tier of assets are the Rockets considering moving at the deadline? The second question is what is Houston looking for?

Tier 1 Assets:
    All Future 1st Round Picks
    Young 6 Rookie Contract Players

Tier 2 Assets:
    Jae’Sean Tate
    Jock Landale
    Jeff Green
    All Future 2nd Round Picks

I think the answer to the second question is clear, Houston needs to be looking for a shooter who can handle a little and is on a controllable contract at either SG or SF. The immediate names that come to mind are Malcolm Brogdon, Luke Kennard and Quentin Grimes.

As far as what should be on the table for Houston to use, I have a strong preference of using only Tier 2 assets and being patient with the Tier 1 assets and not make win now moves with them until we have more data. I would rather not make any moves than use a Tier 1 assets to acquire a bench SG or SF.

I do think Jae’Sean Tate’s value is as high as it’s going to be for the rest of his contract and it would be a shrewd move by our FO to ship him off now rather than wait. Ideally there’s a 3-team construct where you send

Tate to a contender
    Backup ball handling shooter SG/SF to HOU
    Mix of contenders and HOUs Tier 2 assets to team sending out SG/SF

What do y’all think Part 2 of 2024 Trade Deadline for Houston is?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

trade firestone for patrick. let firestone go back to lawyering and have patrick slide in as the basketball prodigy

Nook likes this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Very helpful, thanks for that.

Invisible Fan, OremLK and Jontro like this.
  4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

What’s Patrick Patterson up too?

No Worries likes this.
  5. HealthyHamstring

Does Landale, 2024 2nd Round Pick (worse of BKN/GSW) and 1 more future 2nd Round Pick get you Kennard?

He’s my preferred remaining Rockets target

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

7. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Tier 2 Assets should be able to get the Rockets Alec Burks and Andre Drummond. Two expiring contracts. Backup PG/SG and Center.

Ancient Moabite and Mathloom like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nothing has really changed, you get a better Oladipo back so it seems.

Now 12 million instead of 9.6 or what it was.

Maybe the Kiwi can talk some to the Aussie on the bench.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Well. It has to be Landale or Tate I think. I don't think they want to move any core pieces and the lower end of our roster doesn't have any value except as maybe a throw in. That means draft picks are probably going out in any deal worth anything. My guess is either one or the other of Landale or Tate and draft considerations for some combination of a better backup center and probably a veteran backup shooter. I really don't think anything more earth shattering than that is coming our way this year.

jch1911 likes this.
  10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Nothing has really changed we're only going to do a trade in tier 2 if we can do so. This team is unfixable this year unless we give up firsts, which we won't do. We can get a shooter with next year's first, hopefully that guy from duke?

just enjoy the season, we have much to be excited about. jalen green's growth, cam whitmore. we don't need any major trades. like udoka said, we will improve by internal growth before the season. He's right.

11. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I would love Kennard, but I think the Adams deal basically rules out Kennard.

Grizzlies got off the 24-25 salary they needed to get off, and can waive Oladipo now for the roster spot they need.

Also I’ve never heard of teams making two different trades with each other in a 1 week period. Feels like if we were getting Kennard, it would have been at the same time.

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The last thing this team needs is another SF. I think they should go after a playmaking guard preferably a combo guard that can play in lineups with FVV or Jalen or Amen as the other guard.

Brogdon is the best option that's been mentioned. I think we might struggle to pry him away without a 1st rd pick though. But, Stone may be able to swing something like:

Rockets get:
    Brogdon

Blazers get:
    Landale
    Celtics 2024 1st
    Rockets 2025 2nd
    3 Celtics min players

Celtics get:
    Tate
    Bullock
    Rockets remaining 2024 2nd

BaselineFade, Mathloom and Aruba77 like this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

good trade proposal but the Blaze will want more and will get more for Brogdon.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am slightly disagreeing with Ime on here, in this kind of environment like the NBA, trades are a must.

Right now, I still do not know who the franchise player is, you have an All Star in Alpe, that is the only thing I know more of.......

I am sure they will figure it out but all I see is still Question Marks other than Stephen Silas is gone for good.

jcmoon likes this.
  15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Maybe...but I doubt they get 2 1sts for him with the other names floating around. Unless of course they take back bad contracts. When you consider age he's just not the same level of asset as say a Dejounte Murray.

But, regardless, I think the team needs to address the guard position if they make another trade.

Aruba77 likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It’s a good trade but it’s also literally the worst first round pick anyone will offer them. It’s 99% likely to be the #30 pick. I’m not sure I’d take that over a second rounder.

I don’t expect anyone to offer them a good pick for Brogdon but someone will probably offer them a better one than #30 and for Portland that’s the main factor. Maybe we take the Celtics pick and send them a well protected HOU 2027 pick.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will we trade for a really good 3PT shooter next?
    IME brought that up in needs.

"I think you look to improve in all those areas where you’re lacking. Three-point shooting is one, versatility at the big spots is one."

We got our versatility at big for next year with Adams, but will we get a star who can help us with our biggest weakness? I sure hope so. We are ranked 27th in the league in 3PT shooting, and in our last 10 losses the other teams averaged 40.59% 3PT and we averaged 29.4%.

#18 deb4rockets, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook, fckbandwagons and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

interesting that he specifically called out the need for 3 pt shooting and a backup big. I think it’s safe to assume we see at least another minor deal.

AroundTheWorld and deb4rockets like this.