1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hard to know who will still be available (seems like most of these guys should still be available) but any preference at 42?

I don’t have a preference but usually take Lassiter, Cooper or Wilson in these draft simulators. :D

Prospects to consider at No. 42:

Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois: Defensive tackle is arguably the Texans' biggest need after they did not get a big-name target in free agency. The rub with Newton is that he might not make it to the second round. He’s that good, and there are so few with top-end talent at his position in this draft class. The Texans would likely have to trade into the first round to get him. If he should fall out of the first round, the Texans ought to consider moving up seven spots with the Cardinals at 35 and taking him.

Michael Hall Jr., DT, Ohio State: Hall is a little undersized (6-2, 299), but there are some in the Texans organization who like his talents. At 20, he’s one of the younger players in the draft, so he has time to develop. He had six sacks between the 2022 and 2023 seasons. He’ll probably be drafted somewhere in the 42-60 range, depending on where teams value him. There isn’t a lot of supply at defensive tackle, so he could be drafted earlier than expected.

Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State: Early on, many draft evaluators had Fiske as a late first-round pick, but he’s dropped on some draft boards as of late. He could be available when the Texans pick at 42. The 6-4, 292-pound tackle ran a 4.78 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, which was the fastest of all DTs. I asked an AFC assistant coach about Fiske, and he said, “The guy plays like his hair is on fire every snap. He plays hard, and you know what you are getting when he walks in the door.” The most common criticism I’ve seen is his shorter-than-normal arm length (31 inches), which could hurt his ability to get off blocks in the NFL.

Ennis Rakestraw, CB, Missouri: Most mock drafts have Rakestraw as a late day one or early day two pick. CBS Sports’ Ryan Wilson told me he’d be shocked if Rakestraw fell all the way to 42, but it’s not out of the question. I posed this question to Wilson, though. If Edgerrin Cooper, Max Melton and Kamari Lassiter are all on the board, who is he taking? He said Rakestraw. “Rakestraw is undersized and wasn’t an elite tester, but his game reminds me of (Seattle's) Devin Witherspoon in that he plays cornerback like a linebacker,” Wilson said. The Dallas native is 6-foot, 187 pounds.

Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia: I picked Lassiter for the Texans in my first two mock drafts after they traded their first-round pick to Minnesota for No. 42. He is expected to be available at No. 42 and maybe even 59. The Georgia cornerback, who is 6-foot, 180 pounds, didn’t have many interceptions or takeaways during his time with the Bulldogs, but he was still a shutdown cornerback. He allowed only 136 passing yards all season, which was lowest among FBS cornerbacks.

T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State: I had Tampa in my latest mock draft because he had a top-30 visit with the Texans, so there was at least some interest there. Tampa is expected to go from anywhere late in the first round to late in the second round. At 6-2, 200 pounds, he has great size for a cornerback and was first-team All-Big 12 last season. He ran a 4.55 at his pro day, which isn’t ideal for a cornerback. But he’s talented. He had two interceptions and seven pass breakups in his final season at Iowa State.

Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota: I’ve seen Nubin predicted to go anywhere in the second and third rounds. That’s a huge range. But fewer mock drafts have had him in the third round. Nubin is a playmaker. At 6-1, 199 pounds, he has great size for a safety. He was a playmaker the entire season, earning second-team AP All-America honors. He set a school record with 13 career interceptions, including five during his final season, when he was tied for sixth in the country.

Prospects to consider at No. 59

Javon Bullard, S, Georgia: Bullard could be an option at No. 42 or 59. Texans coach DeMeco Ryans has said he’d like to upgrade his safety room after struggles last season and multiple injuries. Three safeties finished the year on injured reserve. Bullard was a huge piece to Georgia’s defense, which has consistently been among the best in the country. The 5-10, 198-pound safety had 56 tackles, two interceptions and five pass deflections last season. He’s one of the top three safeties in this draft class.

Kingsley Suamatia, OT, BYU: Suamatia is projected to go somewhere in Round 2. The Texans have their starters at both tackle spots — Laremy Tunsil and Tytus Howard — for the next two seasons. But they need depth and a potential future replacement. It’s likely not their top need, but they brought in Suamatia for a top-30 visit. At 6-5, 326 pounds, he is similar in size and put up similar numbers at the combine to his cousin, Penei Sewell, who on Wednesday became the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, surpassing Tunsil.

Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington: As I noted in my final mock draft Wednesday, Rosengarten in 2023 played for the nation’s top offensive line, which helped the Huskies reach the national championship game. He started all 15 games at right tackle and would be a good depth piece for the Texans, who are thin at the position. The Texans hosted Rosengarten on a top-30 visit. At 6-5, 308 pounds, he ran a 4.92 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, which was fastest among offensive linemen. He could go anywhere in the second or third round.

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston: Paul, who is 6-7, 315 pounds, will likely be a second-round pick, given the expected run on offensive tackles in the draft. He’s from Houston and stayed here for college. He was a first-team All-Big 12 selection and allowed only one sack all season with 470 pass block snaps, according to PFF.

Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M: Cooper has first-round talent but will likely go somewhere in the second because teams don’t typically take linebackers in the first round anymore. Cooper could come in and compete as a starter for the Texans' SAM linebacker position after Blake Cashman left via free agency. In 12 starts for the Aggies last season, Cooper had 84 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and eight sacks and was tied for team lead with two forced fumbles. He’s a dynamic player, but the Texans' need for a linebacker isn’t as great as their need for a cornerback, defensive tackle and safety.

Payton Wilson, LB, N.C. State: Wilson could be available at 42 or 59. He’s considered one of the top inside linebackers in this draft class. He tested well at the NFL combine but has an injury history. He played six seasons at N.C. State, so long that I covered his high school recruitment when I worked in North Carolina. He was one of the best prospects in the country coming out of high school.

Propsects to consider at No. 86

Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson: Orhorhoro is projected to go in the third round, so he could potentially be there when the Texans pick at 86. He started 12 games for the Tigers last season and had five sacks. He was third-team All-ACC.

Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan: Sainristil, who is 5-9, 182 pounds, could immediately come in and compete for the starting nickel role. He started 15 games for national champion Michigan, amassing six interceptions, third best in the nation. He returned two of those for touchdowns.

Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon: If by some chance the Texans don’t get a cornerback with one of their first two picks, Jackson could be available in the third round with their 86th pick. He’s 6-4, 194 pounds and ran a 4.5 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. He had three interceptions and seven pass deflections for the Ducks.

A_3PO and Plowman like this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Looking at this list:

Newton or Fiske
    Wilson or Cooper
    Sainristil

Would be my top draft

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I have a weird hang up.
    I can't seem to get past names of players. I don't want a dude named Taco or Kool- Aid on my team. In my mind the name seems to get them more exposure than they deserve. I know I must be some kind of phobic, but it's just my own hang up.
    Shame on me!!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

7. Buck Turgidson

So I'm assuming Storm Duck is off your draft board?

Also: McKinstry was nicknamed "Kool-Aid" by his grandmother as a baby because his smile reminded her of the Kool-Aid Man

Why you hatin on his Grandma like that?

ROCKSS likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

Just went back on a fantastic voyage of a thread that was last year's version of the NFL Draft thread.
    Pure cinema starting at page 425.

I should do the same for the 2022 world series thread soon =(

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

LOL @ first post

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. conquistador#11

Turner or Bowers

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

link for the lazy people?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Housport

Housport Member

At 42

Jordan Morgan OT
    Braden Fiske DL
    Ennis Rakestraw Jr. CB
    Kamari Lassiter CB
    Tyler Nubin S

At 59

Christian Haynes IOL
    Kiran Amegadjie OT
    Michael Hall Jr. DL
    Ruke Orhorhoro DL
    Javon Bullard S
    Mike Sainristil CB
    T.J. Tampa CB

14. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

yet Kemah Keith is regal and refined.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. sydmill

sydmill Member

If I were Nick I'd be targeting Cooper, Sweat (or Fiske) and Tez Walker tomorrow. Then depth along the Oline and the Secondary on Saturday.

42 - Cooper (or Fiske) LB, TAMU (DT, FSU)
    59 - Sweat (or Cooper) NT, Texas (LB, TAMU)
    86 - Tez Walker WR, UNC
    123 - Christian Jones OT, Texas
    127 - Isaac Guerendo RB, Louisville
    188 - Tylan Grable OL, UCF
    189 - Qwan'Tez Stiggers CB, CFL
    238 - Mark Perry S, TCU
    247 - Ryan Watts DB, Texas

jch1911, bcast89 and red5rocket like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Top 5 is outstanding. Make it so.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Texans banner at the beginning of the clip.

ROCKSS likes this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

**** BoB.

20. conquistador#11

ROCKSS and red5rocket like this.