1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Election Cycle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jun 22, 2023.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Latest Poophole results

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we just had a presidential election like last year, what the ****

B-Bob, Ottomaton and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

It's Karl Rove, but his Dark Art was polling and stuff..."if GOP challengers achieve financial sufficiency and turn Democrat officeholders’ records into a negative, Republicans could win a Senate majority that lasts a decade."

www.wsj.com /articles/democrats-will-probably-lose-the-senate-2024-elections-6f874e45
    Opinion | Democrats Will Probably Lose the Senate
    Texans who don't like (understatement) Cancun Cruz better get off their asses now and push that dead pickup known as the Democratic Texas Senate seat.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It will be a miracle if the Ds retain control on the Senate.

They certainly lost West Virginia, due to Manchin's retirement in a deep red state.

The Ds have uphill challenges to retain their seats in Montana, Ohio and Arizona.

To get back the lost seat in West Virginia, the Ds will have to pull a major upset in Florida or Texas or Missouri. A Big Blue Tsunami would do the trick, albeit very unlikely.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree the odds are against the holding the Senate. The democrats could still have a good year but that means they hold onto Brown and Tester’s seats.

I still don’t have enough faith in Texas voters that Cruz will be defeated. I’ll probably sill donate to Allred but I’ll have to see it to believe it that the Democrats can win a statewide race in Texas.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I like Allred and will donate also. I do think Beto had a decent chance the first go round until he talked about banning AR style weapons, and while I agree with him if you say that out loud you will lose as it turns into "he wants to take your guns"...........which was on par for whoever said "Defund The Police"

As much as I think even R`s hate Cruz, the voters only care that you have a R next to your name.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Good meta joke... noone knows even if people try.

Gas prices look to rise further this summer than last year.

Stay Tuned...

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So while Republicans are up in arms about "changing rules during elections" a Republican governor advocates for a major change during the election.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...o-reinstate-winner-take-all-electoral-system/
    Nebraska governor calls for legislature to reinstate ‘winner-take-all’ electoral system
    BY NICK ROBERTSON - 04/02/24 8:10 PM ET

Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen (R) endorsed switching the state to a “winner-take-all” system for Electoral College votes on Tuesday, a change that would bring the state in line with the rest of the country and could tip the 2024 election.

Only Nebraska and Maine assign Electoral College votes by district. In most elections, Republicans take two and Democrats take one of the state’s votes, though the third is tightly contested.

State legislators introduced a measure to implement the winner-take-all system in January, which Pillen endorsed.

“It would bring Nebraska into line with 48 of our fellow states, better reflect the founders’ intent, and ensure our state speaks with one unified voice in presidential elections,” Pillen said of the bill. “I call upon fellow Republicans in the Legislature to pass this bill to my desk so I can sign it into law.”

The Nebraska Freedom Coalition, a conservative activist group, lauded Pillen for the announcement, adding that the group believes it will be brought to the legislature floor for a vote “very soon.”

“Thank you Gov. Pillen!,” the group said in a post on X, formerly Twitter. “Per usual, it’s going to come down to securing some of those squishy R votes — let’s get it done!”

If the bill were to go into effect for the 2024 election, it could cost President Biden an Electoral College vote. Former President Trump won about 58 percent of the vote in Nebraska in 2020, meaning the GOP candidate would get the state’s entire slate of electoral votes in a winner-take-all system.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Multiple legislators in Nebraska have already come out and said that passing this law isn't actually possible. There are 6 days left in the session and over 200 bills ahead of it that are pending a vote. They simply don't have room on the calendar to pass this before the election.

I do hope that Maine Democrats have legislation ready in case Nebraska does go to winner take all.

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade and No Worries like this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

The economy keeps improving, and every time Trump is given a microphone, we are reminded how poor he is cognitively. Dude should be in a home. It's sad.

FranchiseBlade likes this.