1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

He had all of those infield flys in ABQ that went over for 400' HRs.

#601 No Worries, Apr 15, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What?

GOATuve and IBTL like this.
  3. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

He's hitting 2.2 ground outs for each fly out so far. Was at 2.75 a couple days ago.

Not necessarily a problem because ground contact can still be good contact and become singles, but I think that's what Screaming Fist is referring to

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Cool. You picked the absolute biggest outlier we’ve seen in Springer, Notre for doing something most can’t and just hand waived away the idea Loperfido K’s too much. I like him btw, but he’s got to cut down on that or he’s not long for the majors.

IdStrosfan, Zen Tabak and IBTL like this.
  5. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I picked 3 OFs that had high K rates in the minors. All 3 either improved their K rates in the majors or adjusted their approach to still be productive players with a high K rate.

Please continue to tell us how great a signing of Abreu has been since you were one of the idiots championing it before it ever happened.

IBTL likes this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Nobody likes that signing right now. Lots of people shrieking like banshees who were really happy about it when it happened or irritated about year 3 on the deal but year 1 and 2. Most guys that strike out 35 or 40% of the time in AAA are dogshit.

IBTL and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

FWIW I loved it at the time.

I agree Joey can and probably will reduce his Ks.

He had a 22% K rate in A ball, 22% in A+, and 22% in AA. He will adjust and get it down in the 25% area and that's plenty good enough in 2024.

Of course that shows that he may not be good in MLB ( Kyle Tucker) right away either. Some guys just need time to adjust.

By 2026 he will be a good player but he should not be counted on to be 110 wRC+/OPS+ at MLB level right away.

IBTL likes this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d tend to think that’s right and he won’t strike out at that rate indefinitely. But yeah- I think he’s probably not completely ready yet.

9. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Perfect for Yankees stadium when we visit there in few weeks.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Going to Sugar Land this weekend. Not sure if I should hope Loperfido is still there or not.

ryan_98, IBTL and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

This thread is the one, ONE, simple space, "safe space" if I will, we have, so go talk about your Abreus and Managers and Whatevers somewhere else. Please.

Zen Tabak, Madmanmetz and Bregatron like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I was actually pumped about it when it happened. Now, **** man. How wrong we all were.

13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I was as well. It shows that we, like Bagwell and Jackson, should not be evaluating players and giving out contracts. The advanced warning signs on deep power fading were already there in Chicago, and some pointed them out, but most of us (me, Dusty, Crane and the "baseball star" braintrust included) were enamored with the back of the baseball card.

That one is not on Brown. BUT, not finding a viable backup bat to create flexibility somewhere in the lineup ... that is on Brown.

IBTL likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So was Abreu sent to the minors?

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Astros released a bunch of DSL guys last week and are now down to 70 players in the complex in anticipation of their seasons starting in a few weeks. Here’s the list of position players slated to be in the DSL for their opening day:

C (6): Brayan Sanchez, Francisco Caldera, Yosweld Vasquez, Alejandro Castellano, Alexi Quiroz, Andrews Sosa

IF (11): Samuel Capellan, Jesus Mujica, Sandro Pereira, Jhon Diaz, Samuel Brito, Yariell Almanzar, Wilton Lara, Franchely Silverio, Eduardito Lopez, Jose Robledo, Angel Marte

OF (14): Marco Marcelino, Luis Quesada, Eduardo Perez, Juan Sierra, Cristopfer Gonzalez, Esteban Romero, Leandro Morgado, Roiner Quintana, Ariel Lebron, Cesar Hernandez, Axel De Paula, Amauri Ramirez, Frailin Yan, Anderson Paula

Cesar Hernandez, Anderson Paula, and Eduardo Perez are the 3 big bonus guys; Paula has not shown up on the transactions page yet. There are 39 pitchers, none of whom received bonuses over $200k.

ryan_98 likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I think B Abreu is the only one with options left. I would keep him up :)
    Although J Abreu would pass through waivers and could be outrighted at that point.

The Beard likes this.
  18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Posted in series thread, but Forrest Whitley is getting called up

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It is finally happening....

20. Radricky

Radricky Member

Say what now?