1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I mean, if you feel that putting your QB in 2nd and 3rd in long every set of downs wasn't holding him back then I don't know what to tell you.

2. raining threes

1. Stingley was a Lovie pick

2. Nico was the draft pick and getting a starting WR with the talent Nico's got makes that draft a win particularly since Caserio didn't have a 1st or 2nd rd pick. Maliek Collins was the other guy I was talking about and he's been a solid FA signing.

3. Scruggs was a 2nd rd pick which is a high pick. So it deserves criticism if you're going to be a knee jerk guy. I compare the criticism Green's gotten to Scruggs. Both injured. and no Green was actually a good player for the first 4 games of his rookie year before he hurt his pec.

Lets see, the roster before Ryans was hired had

Tunsil/Howard/Green/Pierce/Nico

Greenard/Maliek

Harris/Cashmam

Stingley Nelson

That's 11 NFL level starters

This yr they found their QB and cornerstone guy in WA. Then added guys like Perryman/Ward/Mason. Are there still holes? Yes, are they making great progress? Yes and things are only going to get better.

cbass and Hemingway like this.
  3. raining threes

Bringing your QB along slowly is the correct way to develop a QB while he gets used to the changing defenses and speed of the NFL. I do wish they had thrown the ball more against Carolina. But Carolina has a very good pass defense and a poor run defense, so I can understand the reasoning behind the gameplan.

4. tmacfor35

Reps are reps.

Cj showed against Jax/Pit that he didn't need to be held back.

No way you can defend the OC against what he did to the offense vs ATL/Car.

He gave up two games, trying to be a run first team despite not having the personnel.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Im not saying Watson was better. The question was rookie qbs that got off to hot starts. Watson was on a record pace that year. 19 tds in 6 starts

raining threes likes this.
  6. raining threes

So you're for going into the strength of a defense?

Slowik is bringing Stroud a long like Purdy was brought along.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I agree with all of this but minus Kelce I don’t think the Texans trade their wrs for KC wrs. Texans wrs are much better IMO.

raining threes likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was red hot many times yes, but CJ hasn't made near as many stupid throws straight into the defense as Watson did his rookie year. There was always that possibility that an interception was coming after a couple touchdowns with Watson. He had a problem staring down receivers and was lucky to have Hopkins being able to snag balls with one hand. I don't feel as scared about CJ making turnovers. In fact, a few of the top rated QBs have had 8 times as many interceptions this year. CJ's been much smarter with his throws overall as a rookie, and that is what makes him even more special.

9. tmacfor35

Except that whole offense is ran by Andy Reid, who may be the goat OC/HC.

Fulgore likes this.
  10. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

Go with the strength of the offense which is clearly not the ground game. We have the worst run-blocking in the league with mediocre at best running-backs. They are 0.1 yards away from being dead last in YPC average.

Meanwhile we have a QB playing at an elite level with good receivers and an O-line that excels in pass-pro. It just is what it is, no need to beat our head against a wall and keep losing winnable games in an attempt to coddle a young QB when he's done everything possible to show he doesn't need coddling.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That’s rather convenient. But, even if true, it speaks poorly that Nick let Lovie Smith take control of such a critically valuable asset when everyone - including, I have to assume, Lovie - knew he wasn't a long-term answer as head coach.

Also, who picked Kenyon Green?

Ah. Cool. Yeah, Nico is fine. But WR would top the team’s more pressing needs in ‘24 so Collins was a nice pick, yes - made a little worse by him being yet another player Nick moved assets to acquire.

Again, one was the 3rd overall pick; the other was 62nd. These are not the same. And you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who thought Green played well while healthy.

Nick had no role in acquiring Tunsil or Howard; Green & Pierce are unlikely to be here past '24 season (if Green even makes the team next season).

As with the group above, Nick did not have a hand acquiring the best of this group (Greenard); the others are mostly easily replaceable parts, which is an apt description of Caserios' free agent approach.

Yes, Stingley is an NFL starter - but we really don't know what we have - and he'll be in Sauce's shadow until we do.

Perryman/Ward/Mason are not really long-term assets. And we still have to pay the outstanding debt on the Anderson deal, which cost a team still in need of talent, 2-4 top 100 prospects. I really like Will Anderson - but Caserio got absolutely hosed on that deal.

Again, if my premise holds - it's no coincidence the two best drafts in team history occurred after hiring a Shanahan decibel + high picks - then Nick's fingerprints are not going to be on too much of this team after the '23 season.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Sometimes I dont get it, You blame Caserio to hire Lovie, and letting Lovie pick Stingley, but you dont give credit to Nick for hiring Demeco, and let him draft Anderson (that was Ryans pick) I think Stroud was more of Caserio pick, or even Hannah pick like someone said to fill the stadium.
    That convenient, only blame him for Lovie but Demeco signed was magic, and not a good sign of Nick

Also Pierce is great, right now any of the RBs, are working because of the offensive line, I dont know why the line is working protecting pass but not the protecting the run.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. raining threes

TLTR.

Caserio was doing what Cal wanted him to do. Same thing he's doing with Ryans. You just like the results better.

The Nico draft was run by Caserio. Again tell me the difference between Green and Scruggs. I don't care where they were picked one was picked in the 1st the other was picked in the 2nd. Is Scruggs a bust? Like I said tell me who isn't going to get hurt and I'll tell you who to pick. Really you are butthurt because Stingley and Green got hurt.

I'm just glad Ryans and Caserio are working well together.

14. raining threes

I'm glad they opened up the offense last week. Having Dell back helped with that. You've still gotta run the ball a little to keep the pass rushers honest.

Sooty likes this.
  15. Qan

Qan Member

I mean, they do run the ball. You missed all those 1, 2, or 3 yards....maybe the negative gains cancelled them?

16. raining threes

I didn't miss them.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

Where guys were picked *does* matter. It's easy to hit at 3 or 15 than it is 62. And Scruggs hasn't played so, no - he's not a bust. Green played. And was awful. PFF ranked him 77th out of 77 guards last year. Here's what he accomplished in 14 starts: allowed 47 pressures, 12 quarterback hits, 4 sacks. And he committed the second-most penalties (12) in the league. That's nearly 1 QB hit + 1 penalty every game he played.

And you're using the term "bust" - I'm not. I'm fully aware he's young and could turn out OK. But I can't judge potential. We have 14 starts, and he was objectively terrible in those starts. What are we giving him a pass for?

As for Stingley, the concern with him was injury. He missed a lot of games at LSU. This was well-known and a concern for many. Caserio ignored it, passed on a player graded similarly at the same position who had no history of injury (and has been excellent in the NFL), and surprise! Stingley's been hurt a lot since being drafted. He's now missed 13 games in 1.5 seasons. This Sunday will mark 14.

I'm at a loss what you're trying to spin here? Because Scruggs has been hurt, too - it makes Caserio potentially whiffing on two high-end draft picks OK?

Phillyrocket likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

Based on what? Draft Boards via the media are wrong all the time.

The Texans board could have been much different.

Stingley had some pretty sick tape at LSU pre Linsfranc.

He also shown those signs this year when he played when he was not even being looked at to start the year.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Sorry; what is this referring to? Draft boards don't have anything to do with where guys are picked.

You know who else had pretty sick tape? Sauce Gardner. And no Linsfrac. It's the nature of the beast; Gardner will always cast a shadow on the pick until Stingley proves he's as good/better.

Bottom line: Stingley has missed more games than he's played. How he's looked when healthy... pales in comparison to that.

Phillyrocket, Jared Novak and Qan like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member