1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 Draft] The Non Scoot/Wemby Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Dec 20, 2022.

?

Who do you like for this team not named Scoot/Wemby?

1. Amen Thompson

48 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Nick Smith

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Anthony Black

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Cam Whitmore

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Jarace Walker

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Brandon Miller

25 vote(s)
    24.0%
  7. Keyonte George

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. MystikArkitect

Seeing as we're on a collision course for another high draft pick and we already know who the top 2 are, where does everyone currently stand on roster construction if we dont get the 1st or 2nd pick? The prospects currently slated in that second wave of prospects is:

Amen Thompson - Ausar Thompson - Nick Smith - Cam Whitmore - Jarace Walker - Anthony Black - Keyonte George - Brandon Miller - Cason Wallace - Dariq Whitehead

My initial feeling is that even getting someone like Scoot/Amen puts us in a weird spot next year. PG is probably the most important position on the floor and it's the area the Rockets are weakest. Are we really going to need to develop a PG for the next 3 years trying to make the play-in? It's not really a position where we have the patience to let them learn through their mistakes. We've done enough of that...at least I think so. So could we move TyTy to PG and get one of Whitmore/Miller/Walker and stick them at the SF spot and have Tari be the backup? Tari seems like starter material but you don't pass up talents like Whitmore/Miller in that position.

Curious to see where everyone stands on this as it's unlikely we're going to get Wemby/Scoot and shouldn't plan our future on something that has at best a 20ish percent chance of happening.

jim1961 and xaos like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I would love Jarace Walker on the Rockets. Epitome of the modern era big who is tough, plays defense, can stretch the floor, and pass. High bball IQ. He's going to have a very good career in the league

3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Like you said PG is the most important position of the team. I’d rather trade for a known good PG than draft one. Draft picks are always crapshoot. Even if you do get a can’t-miss prospect, he’d still need 2-3 years of development, which further delays other players growth. This is also the main reason why we need to end the KPJ experiment like yesterday.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed, unless we have the no. 2 pick.

cml750, jim1961, glimmertwins and 2 others like this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen Thompson and Jalen Green would be two crazy, athletic freaks on this team. Scouts has called Amen a taller Morant, who cannot shoot. Amen is a ball handler, shot creator, elite athletic and on ball defender. I also like Anthony Black who is 6’7 and is a smoother Cade Cunningham. He is a elite passer and great basketball IQ. If we do not get the first two picks this summer, maybe drafting Amen Thompson, sign Harden and make KPJ our 6th Man…..
    2nd option….draft Anthony Black, sign Kyle Kuzma and make KPJ a 6th Man

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

If they think TyTy isn't the future PG (which is stupid and I believe he can do it), I want a pass-first PG if we're picking at least top 10.

I need someone to setup the offense, find weaknesses in the defense, pass to the open man, and score when there are no other options.

7. Dredd

Dredd Member

We need a shooter.

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

I like that tall Arkansas PG if available.

fattz and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im still seeing future primary ball handler in the future for Green. He has struggled more in this regard the last couple weeks but I still see a lot of high-level passing from him. It may take an additional season or two to become proficient at it from the play making aspect, but I just see him as having a higher ceiling here than KPJ. He will still execute that from SG. We just want somebody that is a solid defender and makes the right past next to him. As well, this is predicated on Sengun running some offense from the post. Obviously, if we get the number one pick, we take Victor and rearrange this.

I see 2023-2024 and beyond as

Sengun
    Smith/Garuba
    Eason
    Green
    Washington

Those are the six players that I feel really good about building around right now. Id love to include Martin if he would sign for four years at 45 million and except that he will be the 7th man.

Leaves us our pick in 23 and then cap room and trade assets.

After Scoot snd VW I rate them as

Amen
    Cam W
    Ausur

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just best player available if you ask me. We're not a contender and shouldn't pick by position. We need as many talented youngsters as we can get and if it gets crowded at a position then you trade the lesser player for someone at the position you have a need.

Just pick the best player who can play defense and hit an open 3 regardless of position. Everything else will fall into place. I like Cam Whitmore or Kris Murray at where I project our pick.

Dobbizzle and Bo6 like this.
  11. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Its scoot or victor or bust. Get another mid player and they will just be back here next year

Bo6 likes this.
  12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

OP did say non-scoot/wenby, so…

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Pairing TyTy with Green may work on the offensive side. But I worry about defense. KPJ for all his weakness can still play good defense when he wants to, not sure about TyTy.

14. maj21

maj21 Member

Amen of course, then trade up for Gradey Dick!

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hopefully we can land Wemby and then trade Sengun for Wallace or Black.

Black or Wallace
    Green
    KMJ
    Jabari
    Wembanyama

maj21 likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

There is a higher likelihood we don't get one of those which is the point of the question. Everyone has this "well we tank for Scoot/Wemby" but it's not in our control. So what is the direction if we don't get one of those? We can't tank next year and probably can't tank at all moving forward.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Your post makes a lot of sense. The Rockets are in a weird spot somewhat. You could say that they could draft a guard in the top 5, trade for a good/above average guard to start for a year, and work in the draft pick slower. Then what do you do with TyTy? He looks like he could easily be a good backup guard for 20 minutes a game.

Perhaps Jalen Green/Sengun/TyTy backing up is enough next season all a year older is enough to supplement ball handling enough for a player like Scoot/Amen.

Regardless I just hope the Rockets guard that takes over for KPJ is a willing passer and can play defense. Shooting is great but the two former are most important in my opinion.

18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

If the pick is not top 2, I would be calling around places like Charlotte to see if guys like Lamelo would become available if we give up a pick of 3-5 plus some other pieces. KPJ and KJ , I would be open to moving Eason or Sengun as well if we can get a star PG that is still in the same window as the other guys.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lamelo's injury history really scares me ... he might be worth taking a gamble on, he's a good fit with Green.

They'd probably be asking for a Harden type haul for him and that's more than I'd be willing to pay.

This top 3-5ish pick and maybe one more top 5 protected future pick and young players (not Eason, Green, Sengun or Smith) and we can do business, but I highly doubt they'd do that deal.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really like Anthony Black from Arkansas .... Good shooter, ball handler, very versatile & a year younger than all the other early PG/SG prospects.

Most have him outside the top 10 right now but I think he will move up over the course of the season.