1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NFL Season Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 8, 2022.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing about football is that refs could probably call a penalty on almost every single play for holding. I wouldn't doubt for a second that there were multiple plays where holding wasn't called on BOTH teams. If you think the Bengals didn't get away with some holding calls I wouldn't believe it. It's the same way with pass interference calls. Sometimes they get away with it, and nothing is called. I don't know how you fix it without having extra officials, and calling it on every single play. That, or unlimited challenges to address holds and pass interference every time your opponent gets away with it. When it comes down to it though, in the full scheme of things, turnovers cost the Bengals the game, and not a couple plays where the call didn't go their way.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

When the calls favor one team, it gets very suspicious. Any objective fan could tell that KC got extremely favorable calls. The officiating has been called out by many media sources.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Agreed. I hate the Chiefs with all my fiber and being and they did seem to get most of the calls. But that late hit was bad and an obvious call for the refs to make. Such a shame and cheesy way for Pretty Boy Mahomes to win. Sheesh.

solid likes this.
  4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, another super bowl that I have absolutely ZERO interest in watching. I guess if I was forced to watch, I would be pulling for the Eagles to win. But I just cannot get into rooting for that team, that fanbase, and that city. But they are the lesser of two evils. Hell, I would pull for the Cowboys to win if they were Pretty Boy Mahomes' opponent in the super bowl.

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not watching it either but I do love Mahomes. Wish we had drafted him instead of creep boy Watson.

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Personally it looked like marginal contact and a huge mahomes flop, he barely touched him with his hands and that's what decided the outcome of the game, if he actually hit mahomes egregiously for sure call the foul, Ossai was literally running so fast he hurt himself on the play, you think he coulda held up?

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

he barely touched him, I call that a flop,

I'm not a bengals or chiefs fan just wanted to watch a good game and as a football fan to have a good game decided by that call feels like I got cheated.

But I also know most of the money on the game was on the bengals. So it wasn't surprising to see some very questionable calls go against them, like how do you let a team replay a 3rd down. All leagues are just rigged.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He didn't barely touch him, and his inability to hold up is irrelevant. You can't hit the QB out of bounds and he was multiple steps out of bounds when he did. It was a clear penalty.

Now if you want to complain about the missed holding call on the scramble....

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Frank Clark clearly late hit Burrow. They didn't call that either. So as a defender what if mahomes decides to fake go out of bounds. Then you don't push him and he gains another 10 yards, it's such a dumb rule. I get that if he tackles him out of bounds or really puts a hit on him it should be called. But that was barely a 1 hand shove. Just looked worse by mahomes being injured and taking a dive.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

One thing is to miss a holding call, on the 1st quarter, when you have a lot of time to still do something, and other thing is to miss a holding in the last play that could define the outcome of the game.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think it was a legit penalty. You are probably a bit biased since you don't like Mahomes. He was hit out of bounds. The rule doesn't stipulate how fast a player is running or how hard he hits a guy out of bounds. The rule doesn't say ..it's not a penalty if a player is running at full force and can't hold up. LOL

rocketsjudoka and Icehouse like this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol who said I don't like Mahomes? I had no outside interest in that game. I could care less about the Bengals or Chiefs or even who wins. I just wanted to see a good game. And as a fan of football I feel like I got cheated that a good game was decided by that crap penalty. When soo many other random calls were happening against the Bengals all game. I've never seen the refs make players replay a down.. The whole thing was questionable.

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Oh, I'm sure they missed plenty of holding calls during the whole game. They always do. If the league wants to avoid bad calls in situations like that they should change the rules. It's up to owners to do that. Honestly, I have no problem with coaches getting 10 challenges a game for ANY type play in football and basketball.

14. Icehouse

You can’t barely 1 hand shove the QB when you both are clearly out of bounds either. He screwed up and they made the correct call, as they should have.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. Icehouse

That was a correct call as well. Footage showed them trying to stop the play due to the clock error before it was run.

deb4rockets likes this.
  16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I am not saying what is a correct call. I am just saying how things like that can physiologically affect one team. Both teams literally thought it was fourth down and sent punting units on the field. And due to some random official running on the field for no reason they had to stop the play and replay the down. Then the chiefs get a first on the next play. Human nature kicks in and you can see how that sucks for the bengals, they should have just played on as both teams didn't even notice the dude and what he wanted had no affect on the play.

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Chief punted 3 plays later from roughly the same spot they would have had they not replayed the down. The Bengals even should have sacked him but had a dumb penalty on the replayed down.

Was it stupid and ridiculous? Yes.
    Should the refs have done that? No.
    Did it dramatically affect the Bengals psyche or the outcome of the game? No.

Icehouse likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Y'all know I follow the 49ers... and am sympathetic to them... but damn, even so, I feel terrible for Purdy just as an NFL fan.

You come out of nowhere, get your shot, make the most of it, and then get a freak injury. Not like a broken ankle or some ****, but to your throwing arm, requiring surgery. Damn that's rough.

And screw the coaching staff for thinking you could put a tight end on Reddick. SMFH.