1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Padres Indians Colorado and Orioles could be big time buyers.

If the Royals are sellers Roaenthal, Zimmer and Merrifield would be prime targets

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Zimmer is controlled through 2025. Not happening. That's like the Astros trading Javier.

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Merrifield and Rosenthal in a package wonder that price tag? I bet we would have to tag that big ole contract of Duffy a still uave to give up some kinda of big package

4. awc713

awc713 Member

I could see a team like Baltimore or Toronto making serious runs at Yuli. Veteran hitter who can help young players and hopefully turn the corner from the rebuilding to competitive phase.

J. Ar likes this.
  5. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Yuli or Reddick to Baltimore would make alot of sense. As we speak

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

How about Yuli, Reddick, James and a PTBNL
    To Baltimore for
    Mountcastle, Rodriguez, Hall and all of Chris Davis and his Contract?
    The contract sucks really really badly but the prospects would be 100% worth it.
    Works for the Orioles. They get a Balanced hitting 1B. They get a Balanced RF and change of scenery SP and a Player down the road. Not counting the Relief of Chris Davis and his big contract till 2022.
    Astros get there Future 1b Mountcastle. Cheap cheap cheap.
    A future SP. And maybe a back of the rotational SP.
    Sucks on the contract but we could just eat it and cut him loose

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I also believe Brantley to Cleveland for McKenzie and Burns would be a great fit aswell

8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

As I previously mentioned, do not want Merrifield. He was one of the players who voiced his displeasure about the cheating scandal. And was pissed at Altuve because he felt Altuve stole his all star spot. He even went onto to say he now considers himself an all star and not Altuve in 2018.

King1 and everyday eddie like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A team that thinks Yuli can still play a passable 3B and will continue to hit might give him a bigger contract than what I outlined in my previous comment. Yuli as a 3B with a ~120wRC+ is a 3 fwar player, which makes him technically worth $25-30M a year. The $50M/3yr deal I outlined as his ceiling becomes very reasonable in that case.

Again, I like Yuli and hope the Astros find a way to bring him back. But if I’m a GM I don’t offer him more than $30M/2yr, and that would only be if he stays healthy and hits well for the rest of this year.

punkoholic and awc713 like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Quick hypothetical deadline flurry where Click tries to rebuild the farm while also staying competitive this season:

Mets get:
    SP Zack Greinke

Astros get:
    SS Andres Gimenez
    C Francisco Alvarez
    RHP Matthew Allan

Padres get:
    CF George Springer

Astros get:
    OF Taylor Trammell

Mariners get:
    RHP Enoli Paredes
    RHP Shawn Dubin
    RHP Jojanse Torres

Astros get:
    SP Taijuan Walker

Red Sox get:
    RHP Nivaldo Rodriguez
    RHP Brandon Bailey

Astros get:
    OF Jackie Bradley Jr

Astros get 4 really good prospects, 3 of which are in the top 100. Combined with Whitley and their pitching depth they would have at least an average system. The net drop in talent this season probably amounts to 2-3 wins total over the 1 month of the season, and maybe one win in the playoffs.

Not necessarily something I’d advocate and certainly not likely, but it is interesting to me to wonder if there’s a way Click could serve two masters (both the present and the future).

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Mets get:
    SP Zack Greinke

Astros get:
    SS Andres Gimenez
    C Francisco Alvarez
    RHP Matthew Allan

(I like Fransico Alvarez alot. Matthew Allen aswell. I would let them keep Gimenez and ask for two lesser Pitching prospects. Maybe a Josh Wolf and Thomas Szupaki)

Padres get:
    CF George Springer, Abraham Toro and Josh James

Astros get:
    OF Taylor Trammell
    (Don't get me wrong Trammell is a beast. Micheal Baez and Taylor Trammell)

Mariners get:
    RHP Enoli Paredes
    RHP Shawn Dubin
    RHP Jojanse Torres

Astros get:
    SP Taijuan Walker

Red Sox get:
    RHP Nivaldo Rodriguez
    RHP Brandon Bailey

Astros get:
    OF Jackie Bradley Jr
    (I'd pass on Bradley Jr and aim for Alex Verdugo we may have to add to the deall alittle but could be worth it)

Then try Bradley and Reddick to the Indians for Carlos Santana and a trio of prospects. George Valera, Tristan McKenzie and Nick Sandin)

The Yuli Gurriel and Taylor Jones to the Orioles for Ryan Mountcastle and Micheal Baumann[/QUOTE]

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Why are the Orioles giving up 3 of their top 5 prospects just for James and a PTBNL? I don't think a team like the Orioles would choose to give up their top prospects to dump a 2 year 46 million contract (Reddick/Yuli offset this year). Unless you really think they plan on going all in and think Yuli/Reddick are the missing blocks for this season lmao.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Seth Lugo would be my dream target. Throws mid to high 90s with a nasty breaking ball. He's also under team control 2 more seasons after this year. Throw a little Strom magic dust on him.....

King1, Rileydog, awc713 and 1 other person like this.
  14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Why?
    Because the Orioles look like a real contender and could make a push for the series.
    They would be a great team to make a push for alittle more offensive help to puah them.over the top

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can't imagine mortgaging future prospects for a "win now" plan in a season that may not finish and will produce the most meaningless champion in the history of pro sports, but that's just me :)

No Worries, Astrofan59 and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I think there are only two ways you do it.

The first is if the cost is very low or it is a swap or expiring players.

The second and more likely scenario is if you are getting someone under longer control.

While I agree a title this year means less, the reality is that the Astros ownership would love nothing more than to win a title this year for obvious reasons.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs updating their annual trade value rankings. Houston is likely to only have one player (Bregman) on the list. Correa (only one year of control left) dropped off the list from last year and Altuve/Springer weren’t even on last years list.

18. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have talked to the Mets about Edwin Diaz.

The Astros have spoken to the Pirates about Josh Bell (which makes no sense to me).

The Astros have asked about Luis Castillo and were told not now.

These are the ones I have heard about over the last few weeks.

Tucker has surprisingly been the player teams have had interest in along with Abreu.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Alvarez should be on it as well if the 41-50 is any indication.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He would be very nice.

raining threes and Nook like this.