1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm not caught up on anything else here, but I wanted to talk about Biden's running mate.

Apart from his gaffe making it more important to choose a black woman for VP and apart from the fact that that would usually be the right thing to do, I'm not here to wade into that debate or what Biden needs to show to and do for black people. What he said wasn't nothing and his other gaffes using the terms black neighborhoods/children and poor neighborhoods/children interchangeably wasn't nothing either. The crime bill wasn't nothing either. For all the black support he's received this year, especially, he has a lot to prove and he can't take that huge piece of any winning coalition for granted.

But...when it comes to VP, it's gotta be Warren. With all that needs to be done now, in so many different areas, there's nobody in our politics or our country that's more qualified--there's nobody so uniquely suited to the challenges of these times.

Biden-Warren can have an FDR style presidency. If Biden were a stronger candidate (and of sharper mind, vision, purpose beyond winning, and on and on), he might have the latitude to choose someone else. But, if he wins, he needs Warren next to him to make this work.

Having the most diverse field winnow to two, very old, white men was shameful. Before that, discounting Tulsi Gabbard (who should always be discounted), it was shameful that the field winnowed to six white candidates. And then to choose our nominee for perceived strategy of electability... when was the last time that worked for Dems? Maybe never? Boo Democrats for all of that. But we are where we are. Now we need him to win and we need a VP that's ready to help him figure this mess out on day 1.

I'd be for this anyway, but give an unprecedented abundance of high cabinet positions to the abundance of women and men of color that are highly qualified. There are plenty to choose from. He's pledged to name a black woman to the Supreme Court and that's not nothing. He should have done it anyway, but he's already announced it. That's not nothing. A position on the Supreme Court is not a consolation prize. It's a big job of great consequence for the rest of one's life.

Biden is not the sharpest nominee we've had, though he's incredibly much competent (and decent) than Trump. And I'll vote for him regardless of who he chooses, because of the existential threat of him losing, But I hope he's smart enough and brave enough to pick Warren. She should have been our nominee. But she would be an excellent VP and one especially suited to these times.

Deckard, RayRay10, fchowd0311 and 3 others like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Whoever’s the veep will have to take a higher load....

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Most consequential VP choice in recent history. It’s an unspoken certainty that this VP will do heavy lifting and build a resume for 2024.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

If you like pandemics and weirdos touching their own kids, vote trump...

[​IMG]

AleksandarN, B@ffled and RayRay10 like this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Keep in mind that this fall the #1 issue will be Covid/economic anxiety. Warren wasn’t my top pick for VP prior to Covid but it’s becoming clearer to me that nobody can speak to the economic questions that’ll be front and center quite like Warren.

I think Rice, Kamala, and Abrams are capable as hell and I’ll be excited for either of them myself but man Warren just feels like the person for the job right now with dealing with Covid and the economy.

Batman Jones and RayRay10 like this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Too weak to lead ...

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly I wouldn't mind Warren being a Dick Cheney type VP to Biden. She's obviously more competent and more intelligent.

Batman Jones likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Republicans hate Warren at a visceral level almost as much as Hillary. If the Dems want a punch-you-in-the-nose VP like Cheney, she is perfect.

The problems with Warren is she is old AF and a conservative media punching bag. Can you see Warren running and winning the 2024 election? If that was going to happen, it would have happened this year.

If Biden really wants someone who can get bills passed in Congress, he would pick someone like Klobuchar, who is well like on both sides of the aisle in the Senate and who has a history of getting bipartisan legislation passed. Obama picked Biden for this reason, for all of the good that did.

I just do not think that the VP choice matters, as long as it is not Dan Quayle or Sarah Palin bad. The VP likely won't help get legislation passed in Congress; that only works when the other side decides to play nice. The VP would be the Dem frontrunner in the 2024 election. If there was a rising superstar in the Dem ranks, that would be a perfect choice. AOC is all of that, but is legally too young to run for President in 2024.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Warren would be much better as Sec. of Treasury than VP. Warren's a good attack dog on the campaign trail and she's certainly capable to fill in as president but her skills and background I think is better focused on banking and financing. The modern VP has very broad portfolio, as Biden himself showed, and increasingly is taking on a lot of foreign policy and Warren's effectiveness might be diluted if she is responsible for that broad of a portfolio.

baller4life315 and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all the respect you are due, you are the most ignorant, the most dishonest recent addition to this forum in a couple of years. You should be proud. You've had a lot of competition.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What are you basing this that Black Americans are being misinformed about Biden's position on MFA?

From watching the debates and Biden's ads he's been very clear he is building on the ACA. Some of his biggest disagreements with his opponents on the debate stage were regarding M4A.

FYI I do follow politics a lot. Probably more than I should for my mental health but I wouldn't be as interested in this board if I didn't.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

B@ffled can speak for himself but I think that was meant as a joke.

B@ffled and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nonsense, in my opinion. You've given him an out, though. He'll likely jump on the "joke" idea.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You read it, and that's all I was interested in with the post. Thanks.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

With the current political landscape in mind, I think it’s almost a certainty Biden picks a Black female as his running mate.

I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t pick Kamala. I’ve advocated for choosing Abrams in the past, but concede that’s very unlikely at this point. Biden has to be careful to not obviously pander, and that’s essentially what he would be doing if he picked Abrams or a Val Demings type.

At least with Kamala and, say, Susan Rice it won’t come across that way. Both have resume and national profile arguments in their favor.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The fellow has voted by mail for years. The irony is that if anyone is going to commit fraud in the upcoming election, it is Mr trump.

ROXTXIA and RayRay10 like this.
  18. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

oh Cmon. I did expect this reaction from you, in particular.

I disagree with your assessment. I find it ...uh interesting that you let that post elicit that reaction....which I honestly believe you held back on too!!

If you can’t sort thru the BS and determine what’s sincere and what isn’t then you’re forcing yourself to deal with unnecessary drama.

You mean to tell me I beat out, TJ, BTG, BigTex as the most villainous poster here? Or did that post simply trigger your emotions?

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They aren't "recent additions." I'm very happy to stand by my post. There is nothing funny at all about calling someone a "child molester," whatever the reason for the post amounted to. In my humble opinion.

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, it's pretty obvious Trump is just setting up the "rigged election" bulls*** argument.

Guess we'll have an inauguration for our new President, unattended by the previous, followed by the military marching past the scattering ten or twelve MAGA-hat Hell's Angels ("all right, you win, you win") and dragging Trump out of the White House (leaving a bright orange smear on the ground to mark the path).

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.