1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The problem with picking Stacey Abrams as a VP running mate is having to address the elephant in the room problem that at some point must be discussed.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone here is expressing their opinions nothing wrong with that, but opinions aren't justification for a rational. Per your statement that "standing by black people has always been Biden's only strength." You're supporting your opinion that Biden hasn't done anything based upon your own opinion that his only strength is standing by black people. Further stating that you really don't know much about politics.

I will agree with you that Republicans are better at politics and messaging than Democrats. That's been a problem with the party for years.

Regarding normalcy that was before Trump. Given that Biden has actually done better among black voters than Clinton did this same time in the election it appears that many black voters are interested if Biden represents a return to normalcy.

Yet the M4A is polling poorer than the ACA. They aren't the same thing and I don't think most voters consider them the same.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The right wing talking point is that Biden taking the black vote for granted and you are all in with that.

Do you know what Bidens proposals are for black people?

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a question for those out there arguing that Biden is doing nothing for black voters. What should, or what would you like to see, Biden do for black voters?

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Like I said, I don't claim to know anything about politics. Nobody in here has said they know anything about politics, so I don't even know why you typed it in the first place. You don't have to think my opinions are rational since we are all typing into the void anyway.

My opinion that the smartest and most successful thing Biden has done is walk behind black people is my own. Take it however you want to take it.

Nobody is interested in Biden; people are interested in getting Trump out of office. There is big difference between coming off 8 years of Obama when Hilary was running and now 4 years after the hellscape Trump administration with Biden

Obama's 8 yrs didn't convince people that normal was good enough to vote for so people stayed home for Hilary and it elected Trump

4 years of Trump and that "normal" everyone stayed home for in 2016 is looking good by comparison.

THE PUBLIC OPTION that everyone wants in the ACA is M4A. People wanting the Public option in the ACA is what polls well when talking about ACA. ACA is not M4A

M4A has repeatedly been dragged through the mud by persistent bad faith messaging from politicians and media meant to misinform voters. From "How are we going to pay for it" to " You're going to die in line waiting for care", to "What about Venezuela". This has worked to kill any accurate information about M4A.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It isn't a right wing talking point that Biden takes black voters for granted when black voters say he takes the black vote for granted.

As a Biden supporter shouldn't you be telling me what his proposals are?

And I do actually know what he wants to do for black people, but the fact that whenever Biden is cornered when someone challenges him on the black agenda he can't even recall what he has done or will do which leads me to believe he isn't going to do the small stuff that he let others write for him.

#526 DreamShook, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not trying to sell you on Biden so I don't have tell you his proposals, but here you go.

https://joebiden.com/highlights-from-joe-bidens-agenda-for-the-black-community/

I don't think Biden is a great candidate but Ithink he is best at this particular time and from this field.

As simple as that.

RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

NC is opening up. Pence and the Criminal in Chief are just playing politics.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Just vote for Trump.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Haven't you heard? You ain't black if you're not voting Biden.

but seriously some of you need to stfu posting "Just vote for Trump" you sound stupid.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Public option is what Biden and Pete and others support, and what you have railed on them for not supporting M4A. Public option is very different than what Bernie supports. Public option is very popular; Bernie-style M4A is not.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

M4A is popular. It polls at 64% amongst Democrat voters. But yes, ACA polls higher. Both are popular.

13. Major

Major Member

Right - but the Presidential election doesn't just consist of Democratic voters.

Deckard likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

On a side note, there's also lots of issues with polling on this topic. Here's a great in-depth Kaiser poll on M4A (and Public Option):

https://www.kff.org/slideshow/publi...ns-and-expanding-access-to-medicare-coverage/

It's from late January, but a slight majority of all voters supported M4A, while closer to 75% supported Public Option. But the level of knowledge is pretty low. If they worded it differently, the results changed. Also, a ridiculous 67% of people who supported M4A thought they'd be able to keep their current health insurance (slide 11) so people are largely just answering based on the terms rather than any specifics.

jiggyfly, Deckard and Blatz like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There are several people here "who know something about politics." I've said I know something about politics several times over the years. People are free to disagree with me. In fact, I enjoy people disagreeing with me, as long as they are rational about it. Saying "the smartest and most successful thing Biden has done is walk behind black people" doesn't strike me as rational, with all due respect. That's how I take your take.

I've been following politics since I watched Jack Kennedy debate Dick Nixon on TV at my parent's house. They were FDR Democrats and were always interested in politics. It can be contagious. I was close enough to Kennedy to hit him with a rock when his motorcade came down Broadway the day before he was murdered. I was up to hear Bobby Kennedy's victory speech for winning the California primary and minutes later he was gunned down.

Politics can be interesting and it can be tragic. It can also be exciting. I've pretty much seen it in all it's permutations. That doesn't make me smarter than anyone else. It just means I've been interested and paying attention to politics, especially American politics.

This is probably the most important election I can remember, and as I think I pointed out, I've experienced a lot of them. trump is a madman. He's bent on destroying our country. Joe Biden is going to be the Democratic nominee. It strikes me as pretty damn short sighted to spend so much time attacking the guy who is the only person with a chance at ending trump's reign of terror, which is literally what the last few years have been. In my opinion. I think you need basketball back. Badly. I know I do.

jiggyfly, RayRay10 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  16. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

If you like sunshine and prosperity, vote for Trump. If you like rainy days and weirdos touching your kids, vote for Biden

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Black Americans supported M4A at a larger percentage than any other racial group in the country, but still voted for Joe Biden thinking he supported M4A. This is what misinformation does. it works. It gets people to vote against their better judgement. It also helps that people that are respected grift for power and money and not the betterment of their constituency.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't know what you want me to do with this, Deckard. Thanks for the history. We finally have someone in here that knows a little bit about politics. We are all counting on you.

Deckard likes this.
  19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Trump is a mad king. “Off with their head!” if he doesn’t agree with you. He’s simply insane with his new toy, the Oval Office. Cmon dude this is easy. He has to go. This transcends any other argument for or or against the man. He’s clearly irrational and dangerous because you don’t know what ridiculous opinion he’s going to express willy-nilly on Twitter 15 minutes from now. For all I know he’s tweeting “LAMEstream media always lies! DemoRATS are the enemy of the people! MAGA!”

He’s not fit and I’m sure you’ve worked for a business, own a business, been acquainted with business practices, etc. The leadership has to be competent and professional. Maybe he has some decent ideas on how to promote certain products occasionally, but if the boss is firing people on a whim and spouting off angry tweets about customers who don’t buy from him left and right..they need to go.

I know deep down you can understand this. It’s not difficult. Support a conservative presidency. Support a “tariffs against China” candidate. That’s fine. Policy opinions are fun and debatable. Trump’s reign has spiraled into madness though. We have a patriotic duty to get rid of him

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Fantasma Negro

Uh
    [​IMG]
    Or
    [​IMG]
    Or maybe even
    [​IMG]
    But yeah, Orange Man