1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Car Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 29, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thanks for the update.
    What are your biggest critiques of the Passport? I too have stopped looking at Pilots. Unless the 3rd row is needed, I do not see any advantage.

Im finding some of the used 2019 Elite Passport trims going for as low as $34,000. If I do decide to pull the trigger, Im going to wait for the 2021 models to come out later this year.

Im still a little concerned with quality issues found in Korean cars and European cars tend to be much more expensive to repair. I dont mind spending 2-4k more for a proven brand.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Have you considered a station wagon with wood paneling??

Xerobull likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I was probably a bit hasty in my "NO PILOT" assumption. The truth is that the Passport and Pilot are virtually identical cars with just very minor differences in their front and rear fascia. When it comes time for me to buy, if the price difference between the Passport and Pilot are negligible, I would probably pick a Pilot just because A) I'm not losing anything I want and B) it would amount to a better deal when considering residual value, etc. However, based on MSRP, I expect to find a better deal on a Passport. There's a ton of used Pilots out there and not so many Passports. That means it's a bit easier to get your hands on a Pilot at a slight discount. Time will tell whether the inventory of used Passports can catch the Pilot so those price differences start actually appearing on paper.

The Santa Fe is a fantastic car. It's just killing me that it is a smidge too small on the inside. Just a great, great car though. But I feel like the extra 15 sq ft of cargo room in the Pilot/Passport will be very important. It almost makes me wish I had bought that Santa Fe instead of the CR-V I currently have. It also makes me think the Palisade is going to be amazing when I finally get to poke around at one.

Overall if I had to predict right now, I'd say I'm going to end up with a Pilot/Passport. Honda really just has their claws in me. I truly love their combination of performance, ergonomics, value, and reliability. The question is seemingly becoming whether I should just bite the bullet and go with a new vehicle or try to game the system and find a used gem. Honda's are some of the most expensive used vehicles in the market, so you're often better off just waiting for the end of month/model year, hardballing the dealer, and going brand new.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So... plot twist... I ended up getting a used 2019 Passport (EXL trim).

Picking it up on Saturday.

VooDooPope and ElPigto like this.