1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

oh oh

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Why on earth would we go after Mancini?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wheeler is scheduled to pitch Thursday.
    Could be "saving" Santana for tonight or Thursday.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If it's true, it is possibly to allow them to include Tucker in a bigger/different deal. (or Reddick)

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It would seem absurd to start him less than 24 hours before the deadline if you were even considering moving him.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Syndergaard is traded it will be before his start tonight. So the deadline to trade for him is in about 4 hours.

7. Jeremy Williams

Well, they can always delay his start until tomorrow and try and work something out tomorrow.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That would be shocking, as I can’t recall a team ever blatantly pushing a pitchers start back based on trade rumors.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I was joking on the from Dallas- do not want.
    I’m not even a native Texan (moved here 29 years ago when I was 12) but making fun of Dallas seems a layup.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  10. Jeremy Williams

As many rumors are flying about Thor, and his rift with the Mets org, it wouldn’t be shocking to me.

Francis3422 likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So I totally get this move from Detroit’s perspective.
    Anytime you can hold on a guy who will be gone before your competitive window is open again, who is also having the best season he’s ever had that looks like an extreme outlier, who in the last month is flashing signs of turning back into a pumpkin you’ve got to hold and ride that stock down until it’s almost nothing.
    I call this the AJ Reed move (and yes, I was a big AJ Reed honk for a while)

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why Wheeler makes sense for the Astros
    Two sources said Monday that the Astros were working hard to acquire Mets right-hander Zack Wheeler, though no deal appeared close. The Athletics, Rays and Braves are among the other clubs that have shown varying interest in Wheeler, who, like Bumgarner, is a potential free agent.

The acquisition of a rental would be somewhat curious for the Astros, who already face the possible losses in free agency of two starting pitchers (right-hander Gerrit Cole and lefty Wade Miley) and four relievers (righties Will Harris, Collin McHugh, Héctor Rondón and Joe Smith).

The Astros’ preference surely would be a starter they could retain beyond this season, but even if they added a Robbie Ray (one additional year of control) or Noah Syndergaard (two), they still would face numerous holes. Younger pitchers such as Josh James and José Urquidy will help fill the gaps, and Lance McCullers will return from Tommy John surgery next season. But the Astros know they will need to add more pitching regardless.

There also is a benefit to acquiring a rental such as Wheeler — it would come at a lower acquisition cost. The Astros’ farm system ranks seventh in the majors, according to Baseball America, but several of its top pitching prospects experienced injury and/or regression this season, reducing general manager Jeff Luhnow’s trade leverage.

13. Jay713

Jay713 Member

This.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Holy ****ing **** that team would be amazeballs. All those deals actually make sense but I think Way too complicated to pull off.
    Decimates the farm system. But I don’t see any real need for anyone from the farm to be on the 25 man roster if you did those deals for at least 3 years. Keeps Whitley and you have to pray he actually hits.

I’d do that if I was JL.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Keep waiting for the Death Star to show up on a certain person's Twitter account

chievous minniefield likes this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

2016 was a bummer. Hopefully we can get some pitching help for the stretch/post-season.

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Fwiw, I know a girl who dates a good friend of Thor’s in Dallas. Long-time friend.

Thor is a maaaaaaajor pothead, according to said girl.

Again, take it fwiw. Which might not be much.

Like, major.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Prospect and Reddick for Mancini?

Upgrade offensively and dump some salary next year

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.