1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Member

Except they really don't.

2. Screaming Fist

raining threes likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It takes two to tango. You keep making arguments why the Mets should reject a trade without Tucker or Whitley. I think it is reasonable position for the Mets to reject an offer without those two. Based on publicly available information, it is also reasonable to assume those two have not been offered by Astros. If Whitley or Tucker was cost for Thor, Astros should have outbid Mets for Stroman and kept them.

4. Screaming Fist

Have there been any reports that the Mets are insisting on one of Tucker and Whitley? The silence on Whitley makes me think he was offered but the Mets weren't interested. I agree that the Astros should have picked up Stroman given the light return the Jays received. Kay has gotten shelled in AAA this season and the other guy hasn't pitched above A ball.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d give up Whitley in a package for Thor and wouldn’t think twice about it. Syndergaard probably has 8-10 good years left in him, and I’m not certain Whitley even makes it at this point. It’s fair to have doubts. The Mets are going to want a lot in return, but if the centerpiece is Whitley, I’d be all over it.

6. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

8-10 years? He is controllable for 2 more seasons

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There have been reports that the sides are far apart. If Whitley or Tucker were offered, the sides should not be far apart. The silence makes me think there is a big divide in what Mets want and Astros are willing to offer.

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, he’s 26. He could easily pitch 8-10 more years. Controllability has nothing to do with how many years a guy has left in the tank. I’m not implying he’s in Houston for 8-10 years, but who knows?

9. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Who cares what he does beyond his time in Houston? Do you understand how trades wrok?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mets trade pitcher Noah Syndergaard Zack Wheeler Jason Vargas to the Phillies.

11. Screaming Fist

It sounds like the most likely trade is a Wheeler rental. Think I would be okay with this if they can avoid sending JBB, although it will put them in a tighter spot in the off-season.

12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

His ERA is 4.01 if you take out his starts against the Nationals. I just wouldn't trust him to start against the Yankees and all of their right handed hitters in the post season.

13. Jeremy Williams

Thor has had ONE good season where he was able to go 180+ innings. The rest were riddled with injuries.

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Who’s to say he’s not here for 8-10 years? Unlikely, but who knows? The point is that he has the potential to be more than an end of career rental. He’s still young, he’s from Texas, maybe he wants to stick around after he’s been here for a while. He’s from Mansfield. He went to Dallas Baptist. You assume he wouldn’t stay. Why not?

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yes, but when you're negotiating with another team for a trade, your assumption is that he WON'T stay. The price you're willing to pay should be based on whatever control he has left....not potential value after his initial contract expires.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

If you're just going to go with random possibilities, Whitley may be a star for 20 years and the greatest pitcher of all time. You assume he won't be. Why?

If the Astros want Syndergaard in 2022+, they could just sign him as a free agent. They don't need to trade for that.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

I could see HOU netting Boyd if DET realizes the market just isn’t going to budge. We’ve got a lot of depth to offer them. Can either side really afford to say no to Boyd for JBB + Fisher + prospect?

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Serious: Someone tell me why I'm wrong to not be high on Tucker. I've seen his AAA numbers, beyond that.

LonghornFan likes this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, of course. That has nothing to do with this though. I’m not advocating giving up MORE because he might stick around, I’m just saying I like the idea that he could be here for a while. He’s going to likely still be pitching in the league for years, assuming injuries don’t take him out, which is possible, but he’s not an obvious end of his career type rental acquisition, and his background is a good fit for someone who may choose to re-sign. I just like the fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.