1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raining threes

Well let's see, he and Mayfield help win a game in Oakland with his defense at 2nd. Hit a big SF yesterday I believe. I didn't get chance to watch the game.

Tonight he helped them win a game.

A guy who is helping win 2-3 games a week playing regularly when he's best suited as a backup is invaluable. Particularly in the playoffs a guy with Kemp's skillset plays well. IMHO

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Tony Kemp has a 0.6 WAR in 104 at bats. Straw is at 0.3 in 18 at bats. Kemp is an asset, but he is nothing special. And, essentially, most everyone on the team who has played over the past week has helped win 2-3 games.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They’d be looking to dump Encarnacion’s salary. If they can get back 2 potential trade chips for next year’s deadline AND a nice prospect like Bielak, that improves their outlook.

CheezeyBoy22, No Worries and bobrek like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I could see the Mariners taking on Yuli or paying a large part of Encarnacion’s contract if they can get a couple solid prospects from the Astros. I do believe Encarnacion would help the Astros line up.

CheezeyBoy22 and raining threes like this.
  5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The idea of trading either Yuli or Reddick makes me really sad. That is all.

6. raining threes

Agree to disagree on Kemp.

7. HTown2017Champs

I'll miss both, especially as clubhouse guys, and while I am CERTAIN it isn't happening this season, it'll make all the sense in the world next offseason. Pro sports is a business, after all. Mariners know that 2021 is where their window will open (at the earliest), and with them still eating contracts next year, i can see them absorbing both of them while giving us a few low to mid-level/lotto ticket prospects, and then flipping them for more (as part of them eating the $$$) at the deadline to somebody desperate. Gotta make room for the new guys.

8. bobrek

My argument is that why should they trade Encarnacion for two guys they MAY be able to flip next year for prospects when they could trade him this year for actual prospects they can get into their system a year or so earlier?

Have any rebuilding teams done anything like that in the recent past?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It just about value. Right now they have Encarnacion, who is owed ~$12M this year and is worth about half that (so he’s worth negative $6M). If Houston offered to send them Reddick and Gurriel, who are owed ~$30M between this year and next and are worth about $20M (-$10M) AND a prospect worth $5M, that’s a good deal for the Mariners, not only in total value, but especially so when factoring in their timeline. I can’t think offhand of any rebuilding teams trading one bad contract for 2 less bad contracts, but that doesn’t make it implausible, especially considering Seattle’s GM’s track record.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That would be an awesome trade. Upgrade 2 spots in the lineup and get off Reddick and Yuli’s money for next season.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Trading Yuli and Reddick for Encarnacion may be a net negative for the team. The difference in production between Reddick and Encarnacion isn't huge, and the prospect we replace Yuli with may be terrible as prospects often are.

Yuli for Encarnacion sounds better to me. If we need to salary match then send Joe Smith their way. I'll pass on salary dumping a productive Reddick right now and suddenly be forced to count on prospects.

We can find PT for Alvarez and Tucker without trading him.

everyday eddie, No Worries and awc713 like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Prorating those numbers out to full season would put Kemp at 3.6 WAR and Straw at 9 WAR. I don't think Straw will challenge Trout for MVP if he was a full time starter. Ill wait to see Straw play more to get a better read on his abilities. Kemp is 65th among OFs in WAR when there are 90 positions available while playing part-time. Last season he ranked 93rd in part-time play. Whether you want to think of MLB starter quality as special is your call, but Kemp definitely has value.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. bobrek

Most players in the league have value. The post I originally responded to said people undervalued Kemp. My point is that Kemp is what he is. A decent backup.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Doing Smith instead of Reddick isn’t a bad idea but it would mean including more/better prospects.

Nook likes this.
  15. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I think what makes him underrated is that, you are right, he is a mediocre to average player...out of the 8/9 hole. It is just a luxury we have...to have "average" players hitting bottom of the order. Saw a graphic the other day that the bottom of out order is best in baseball. He is a big reason why.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think it would be crazy for the Astros to trade for a bat. When everybody is back we are the best offense in baseball. The only real replacement we need is for White. Any of Straw, Alvarez, or Tucker will be an upgrade. Hell even Fisher is an upgrade. Gurriel is going nowhere and most likely will get back to form before the year is out. We already have no room for Alvarez and Tucker. Why add another bat to make that even more difficult. We have 4 bats to bring up: Diaz, Altuve, Correa, Springer. We have White, Kemp, Fisher, Straw, and Super Jack to get rid of or send down just to add Alvarez. The way straw puts it in play, superior speed, and defense, he may be the one that keeps Alvarez and Tucker down until September.

I think the only real trades being considered is for SP and RP and possibly a backup catcher.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A decent backup? He's better than a third of the MLB starting OFs while playing less than half the time. Calling him a decent backup suggests people were right that he is undervalued.

No Worries and SS0101 like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Kemp is a good backup and maybe could start for another team. He is gone sometime this year, barring injuries. Straw or Alvarez is his replacement.

Our lineup when all is said and done:

Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Brantley
    Correa
    Alvarez or Straw
    Gurriel
    Reddick
    Chirinos

Bench:
    Marisnik
    Stassi
    Diaz

Sp:
    Verlander
    Cole
    Miley
    Peacock
    TBD

RP:
    Osuna
    Pressley
    Harris
    Rodon
    James
    Devo
    Perez
    McCugh/Smith or trade

Show me where there is room for Tucker, Straw, and Alvarez. They are not trading Reddick or Gurriel this year.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

IF he gets hurt, then it moves up the list of priorities.

Who is “no one”? The fans? When they start making moves based solely on what the fans want, let me know. His framing and defense are major league level. He’s not the best hitter but that’s a luxury.

20. bobrek

And his current OPS+ of 96 is below the league average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.