1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2020 roster breakdown:

Locks (10):
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    3B Bregman
    CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    SP Verlander
    P McCullers
    P Peacock
    RP Pressly
    RP Osuna

Locks unless traded (12):
    UT Diaz (no options)
    1B Gurriel (no options)
    OF Marisnick (no options)
    RF Reddick (no options)
    RF Tucker
    LF Alvarez
    LF Fisher (no options)
    RP Devenski (no options)
    P Valdez
    P James
    P Martes (no options)
    SP Martin

Out of options fringe players (6):
    C Stassi
    1B White
    1B Reed
    OF Kemp
    P Rodgers
    RP Guduan

Likely optioned (7):
    C Stubbs
    IF Mayfield
    UT Straw
    P C Perez
    P Armenteros
    RP Deetz
    P Abreu

Rule 5 eligible from mlb.com Top 30 (5):
    3B Toro
    OF Dawson
    SS Arauz
    P Urquidy
    P Javier

Free agents (7):
    C Chirinos
    SP Cole
    SP Miley
    P McHugh
    RP Smith
    RP Harris
    RP Rondon

From my view here are the needs (in order):
    C
    SP
    RP
    1B
    P
    P

The big questions are how much money they have and which prospects will claim a spot. My post is already too long, so I’ll skip forward; here are the moves I would like to see:

1. SP: Trade for an ace caliber pitcher with an addl year of control this season: Scherzer, Synergaard, Kluber, Bauer, Stroman, Greinke, Ray, Boyd, Gray, Gray, Matz, and Archer all would work, although obviously it depends on your definition of ace. For this exercise, I’m assuming they can get one of those guys using a package of Corbin Martin, Derek Fisher, JB Bukauskas, and a 3rd tier guy like Luis Santana.

2. C: Extend Chirinos. He’s obviously a fit and he’s unlikely to be expensive. Grandal is an option in free agency, as are Castillo, Lucroy, Castro, Avila, and Cervelli. Trade options would be Narvaez, Barnhart, Ramos, Gomes, Suzuki, and Posey.

3. 1B: try to flip Reddick and/or Gurriel’s salaries for an everyday caliber 1B. They may have to throw in some money or prospects. I don’t think they’ll have the budget to add any bats in free agency, but maybe they can flip those 2 guys plus a couple of 3rd tier prospects for somebody like Belt (or even crazier, Miggy, assuming Detroit eats all the money after next season). Alternatively, I’d like to see Reddick and Gurriel used as a 1B platoon.

4. RP: Luhnow has been too good and too unpredictable to speculate which relievers he would add, but sufficed to say there will be plenty of options via trade and free agency, and for now none of the internal options appear ready to fully replace the group they’re losing (Harris/Rondon). I think they’ll need to add 2 between now and next year.

Opening Day 2020 40 man roster:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    1B Gurriel
    C Castro*
    Bench: Diaz, Marisnick, Stassi, Reddick
    Rotation: Verlander, Stroman**, McCullers, Peacock, Minor**
    Bullpen: Diekman*, Steckenrider**, Valdez, James, Martes, Devenski, Pressly, Osuna

Optioned: Stubbs, Mayfield, Arauz, Toro, Straw, Dawson, Urquidy, C Perez, Armenteros, Javier, Abreu, Deetz, Bailey

DFA: White, Reed, Kemp, Rodgers, Guduan

Traded: Martin, Fisher

#221 Snake Diggit, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Dallas going to the Braves will kind of hurt us with NY most likely trying to land another pitcher. I could be wrong but we will be betting against them for a pitcher.

Nook likes this.
  3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Wouldn’t we be betting against the Braves if NYY lands him?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Not worried about the Braves. Yanks are in our league.

5. prospecthugger

The Braves have more prospect capital.

Htown Stros likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Yankees have more capital capital if they choose to use it.

Nook likes this.
  7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not worried about the Yankees adding. They aren’t gonna be crazy about adding anyone making any money, anything they add at this point comes with at least a 30% tax. Old man George ain’t running that show anymore

8. prospecthugger

I don't think that matters much at the trade deadline. It's not like the Mets are going to trade Syndergaard for $100 million. I guess they could take on a huge contract more easily, but I'm not sure that really matters.

9. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Just random trade ideas from Dick Justice

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think Houston will do anything on offense, especially until they improve their rotation. The Astros have 2 of the Top 15 hitting prospects in the game waiting in AAA, and they both play the corner. They don’t need a bat, and they especially don’t need a bat on an expiring contract. However, I could see some sense in flipping Gurriel and Reddick plus a 2nd or 3rd tier prospect for Encarnacion. The money would be a wash (if Houston picked up his option for next year) and adding him while sending out Gurriel/Reddick would serve 2 purposes (improve 1B, open up a spot for Tucker).

Astros get:
    1B Edwin Encarnacion

Mariners get:
    OF Josh Reddick
    1B Yuli Gurriel
    RHP Brandon Bielak
    PTBNL (if the Astros pick up EE’s option, it would be a player like SS Deury Carrasco, otherwise cash)

Edit: it is EXTREMELY unlikely Luhnow would do this due to the potential impact on the clubhouse.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Astros will try to SP, RP, C, 1B with a preference in that order. I think it will be easier to acquire guys in the opposite order. If Astros get a good deal at any of those positions, I expect they pull the trigger.

Nook and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  12. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I totally get this logic here and in a lot of ways it makes sense. Pitching will be the priority and it should be. Im also in the camp that we need to give Tuck and Alaverz a shot. It doesn't make sense not to when our core comes back. Need to see how these guys do with MLB pitching.

On the flip side, i think it's important to realize that we do not have a lot of depth at players who can hit the long ball. Come playoff time, our pitching will be solid but ultimately I believe Houston will have to get in a few slugging fests. We all saw how unhealthy this team was and for almost three straight seasons, we've had guys hurt. We couldn't drive runs when needed against Boston. There are no promises that our guys will be healthy come post season. We see the type of hitters the Dodgers, the Red Sox, and the Yankees (when healthy) have. I think it would be smart to at least kick the tires and see what the cost would be to have depth and especially with Encarnacion.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Career high in HR:
    Bregman 31
    Springer 34
    Reddick 32
    Correa 24
    Altuve 24
    Brantley 20
    Gurriel 18
    Chirinos 18
    Diaz 18
    Marisnick 17

In 2017, White hit 28 across 2 levels. Fisher 26. Tucker 25. Reed 34. Mayfield 20. Throw in Alvarez who has 22 HR in 55 games this year. I’m not totally against them adding a bat, but Houston has plenty of power depth. Straw, Stubbs, Stassi, and Kemp are the only position players on their 40 man roster who aren’t a consistent threat to go yard.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't see C as a priority at all. Chirinos will be the man and I think they like Stassi.

If they make a move, it won't be until the last days or hours or minutes up to the deadline. There's no urgency to add anyone now.

15. raining threes

FB trade, they have chemistry, Not gonna happen.

16. raining threes

Let Chirinos get hurt and get back with me.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  17. raining threes

And yet Kemp hit a HR tonight.

I've been saying for 2 years now Kemp is very underrated around these parts.

everyday eddie and No Worries like this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why would the Mariners want Yuli and/or Reddick? They'd be looking for prospects.

raining threes likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What makes Kemp underrated? For the most part he is a mediocre to average player. He has the occasional big hit that folks seem to remember, but game after game, he is nothing special on the field.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

No one likes Stassi. He is the back up because he is out of options and cheap. We will get another catcher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.