1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. HTown2017Champs

He's the same guy we drafted last year. 33rd round, meaning he was actually drafted lower this time around.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider...w-2019-mlb-draft-recap-al-team-team-breakdown

Houston Astros
    The big shocker of the first night was Houston going off the top 100 entirely with Korey Lee (1), the catcher from Cal who didn't appear on MLB's top 100. Lee wasn't seen as any kind of prospect coming into this year, off a .238/.328/.426 sophomore season, though he had a strong summer in the wood-bat Northwoods League last year and exploded this year to hit .339/.415/.613 with 13 homers. But he wasn't a Day 1 talent, with a plus arm and plus power but below-average receiving skills and a below-average hit tool. Neither was their second pick, Ole Miss shortstop Grae Kessinger (2), a performance draft pick who never strikes out but totally collapses his back leg through contact, making any power unlikely, and whose range is probably too limited for short.

Jordan Brewer (3) is more intriguing as a great athlete who was a decent football prospect in high school, a 70 runner who didn't play much center for Michigan but should be able to move there in pro ball. He has above-average raw power but has to tighten up his approach to get to it. Colin Barber (4) was the Astros' first high school pick this year. The University of Oregon commit has good balance to his swing and above-average speed, but he'll need some swing work to unlock any power.

Wayne State right-hander Hunter Brown (5) has been 94-98 as a starter with an average slider that you could project to a 55 or better; most scouts project him as a reliever, but he should at least start in the low minors. Matthew Barefoot (6) led the Cape Cod League in batting average last summer but hit just .311/.407/.570 this spring for small-conference Campbell. He's a senior but won't turn 22 until September.

raining threes and King1 like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Just curious, but who did Toronto draft while Keith Law had his cup of coffee in their front office (and then quit/got fired)?

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Easy to roast those first 2 picks. Both guys were projected no higher than the 3rd round. Gotta love Luhnow’s willingness to buck consensus and given his track record he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I’m excited about the Astros getting 3 potential everyday up the middle players from this draft.

5. raining threes

I guess ESPN doesn't much care for the Astros draft. Trust Luhnow much more than I do ESPN.

If they get their catcher of the future out of this draft then they've had a successful draft. Lee doing well in the wooden bat league then having a big year this yr hopefully means his best baseball is ahead of him. This is what I think the Astros are counting on.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

He held a couple different positions with the Blue Jays.

He quit in June of 2006 largely because he had little to no input on what the Blue Jays did in the draft and minor league system. He had taken the job with the understanding that he would have large control.

So it is very hard to say if Law is responsible for the Jays drafts. He has in the past said no he did not have final say.

The drafts when he worked for the Blue Jays were very mediocre.

He was offered a number of different front office positions with the Houston Astros by Luhnow, including scouting director.

He doesn't dislike the Astros FWIW.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Oh no, he obviously doesn't. I was just curious, and hadn't thought about it in years. Can't remember the context, but the exit quote I remember from JP Ricciardi? was "Keith Law is an idiot."

He's sharp, but he does seem to me to be very set in his ways, evaluation-wise.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Ricciardi and Law really did not like each other at all.

Some of the "set in his ways" is his shtick. He has discussed it in the past. He is very different in person and will admit that most of his issues are related to his depression.

I will say this...... if you look at his rankings, and what he has said about his views on the last 8-9 drafts, overall Luhnow has been better than Law.

King1 likes this.