1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Hong Kong Protest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You can't handle the truth.

2. adoo

adoo Member

i've made the same accusation against WNBA, on post #75, on page 4

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is Clutchfans not Gore Gallery.

4. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Good for u.

Now from my perspective your system is not capable of producing capable leaders, your parties only care about destroying each other and not the country's interest, your government only serve the rich, your economy always crashes itself, and your country has no long term plans.

But how Americans run your country is your own business and is not any other people's. Be a puppet to what u believe in, mind your own country's business, it needs some love now.

And stop trying to tell other countries how they should to run their countries, you can only make things worse.

5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

@KingLeoric If you love your country so much, why are you living in Toronto? Why don't you go back to your home country?

Nook likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

What does the free and independent nation of Taiwan think about all this?

Nook, KingCheetah and Deckard like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Indeed you did. You made more than one excellent post on that page, and @WNBA very typically became nearly incoherent while babbling insults aimed in your direction. If you look at the top of that page, I made a post of my own saying much the same thing. We're both repeating ourselves while attempting to have a conversation with these two cretins, but sometimes you just have to repeat yourself. It's quite remarkable how low these two are, @KingLeoric and @WNBA, and how willingly they repeat the lies pumped out by the brutal Xi regime.

My concern grows for the people of Hong Kong. Xi continues to make a mockery of the 1997 agreement with the United Kingdom, and the woman handpicked by the Mainland government talks out of both sides of her mouth, spilling crocodile tears for the cameras when it seems called for. The bill her government introduced at the behest of China that was the catalyst of the huge, peaceful demonstrations by the citizens of Hong Kong has yet to be discarded, and she has yet to apologize for attempting to sneak it past the people, something she could never have done had Hong Kong been allowed the free elections guaranteed the city in 1997.

She would never have been elected to her position, and there would be a much different government in place today had those guaranteed elections taken place long ago. None of this would have happened. The Xi government has brought this on itself. Pretty ironic, given the propaganda that regime is busy repeating in the government controlled Chinese media, in concert with the fake news being put out for "the masses" in various forms by China. I share @rocketsjudoka's worry about the effect of the violence in giving Xi an excuse to invade Hong Kong with 10's of thousands of armed police with armored cars and other equipment to be used to crush the will of the people of the city. I hope it doesn't happen. It would be a disaster of huge proportions on many levels.

It would be an act of madness by China and Xi, but Xi seems increasingly willing to embrace imperialism, in my opinion. Just look at what he's doing in the South China Sea, bullying the countries surrounding it while breaking international law again and again. The lack of leadership in the region by the United States, starting with President Obama, who never seemed to understand what firm action taken long ago could have accomplished, with trump being even worse. Mr trump ignores the crisis in Hing Kong because he's more concerned with himself. With trump, it is always "Me, me me!" First, last, and always. He cares for himself above all things.

I don't like where this is heading. Not one bit.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

It's having a huge impact on their presidential election next year. The pro-independence Tsai Ing-wen was way behind the Beijing-backed candidate Han Kuo-yu before the Hong Kong protests. Now Tsai has come all the way back and have a sizeable lead over Han and Han continues to sink in polls.

Nook and dachuda86 like this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

With all due respect.. man that is a real ******* thing to say to someone in a thread you aren't even arguing back in forth with someone in. I guess you are still mad about previous issues. The grudge is real mature... I thought you were a more collected person.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...ambassador-1989-alan-donald-a8126461.html?amp

I am sure that if there was nothing to hide then the PRC wouldn't need to cover anything up. Like it always does.

11. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

HI it's been a while since i posted in clutch. Saw this topic and it makes me sad how misinformed people can be about other people's cultures just because they believe what they read or told by the media or by people who have different views.

First let me say I am an American Citizen (born in USA, lived through 80's, 90's and now). I travel a lot, lived in many countries.

Every country has a certain perception about other countries. For example China view USA as the following
    1. Gun Crazy killers (constant gun killers)
    2. Obesity (USA tourists who look like they can eat 6 meals)
    3. Always thinking they are the best, never steal idea's and forgetting the fact USA has history of violence ranging from Native Indians, Slavery (how many blacks where killed, raped, abused, etc), hate groups, mass killings, etc. For stealing idea's, if you read history, you would understand every culture has copied inventions and made it better (that's history).

I could go on and on about their views. I don't need to discuss how the USA media has sold news about stories about negative, stealing idea's, etc about China. I don't need to explain how some of those comments are also funny.

My point is, both sides can go on and on about how great one country is, but the truth is, both countries have their own ugly issues to deal with. No country is perfect, no system is perfect and even if you wanted to change the system, it would take years, a lifetime.

As for the Hong Kong situation (I am sure some Hong Kong people will disagree), the main issue is their economy and wealth distribution, not the China Government. China government has nothing to do about Job growth, salary, living, etc. Many of these Youngs kids struggle finding success, they live in a 8x8 room and they look at the western world and ask "Why can't we be like this"

The problem is, they can't be like the west because they live on a island that is no bigger than maybe New York City. There main jobs are import/export, hotel industry (tourists), etc. They really have limited growth due to their size of their state. Too many people, too little land. Many want to blame someone or something for this. They are not even looking at China at growth, if you didn't know China has produced many millionaires in the last 15 years, there is still a lot of growth internally. But Hong Kong people cannot grasp they have an opportunity grow financially if they are willing to move forward.

Just think if UK was still in control, how would UK handle this problem (high rent, high home prices, low salary)? Allow Hong Kong citizens to be UK citizens? Buy more land, change the Hong Kong trade industry? People protesting thinks, this will fix the issue by being free of China...but how will Hong Kong fix this issues if they were independent? Most likely they will follow Taiwan path.

Which leads me to Taiwan..i can only tell you this, their salary is the same over 15+ years. Imagine working and not getting a raise in the last 15+ years. Sure it's nice place, people seem to be happy. But there are a lot of people who went to China to work for higher wages (which something Hong Kong people have a tough time doing, i have seen Hong Kong people turn down more salary to work in China but to stay in lower wages in Hong Kong).

Don't forget despite what the media says, both Hong Kong and Taiwan have people who are pro-china, if you have 1 million people protesting and your population is 8 million (Example)...one would say the other 7 million is either Pro-China or they don't care. You just don't hear the stores of the pro-china citizens talking because it doesn't sell news.

With Trump, we learn a valuable lesson, internet, social Media has a lot of power how we view, hear and learn about things. Too much unfiltered news. If you hear the it over and over again, at some point it becomes real.

I don't expect this to change people's views, people are people they take stance and they want to believe they are right...however i hope the people who read this understand things are not that simple where China is bad and USA is Good or USA is good and China is bad. But if you wanted to explore the truth yourself, then i suggest you explore that country and talk to the local people (not just the ones who have 1 view).

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

China is bad. the US is bad in ways too... yet still better for many reasons. Starting with its freedoms and its lack of ethno-religous concentration camps. Also its social credit system and Internet firewall are oppressive tools that would make westerners used to freedom take to the streets.

The US has many problems, but it is a hill of beans next to an anti-democratic dictatorship like China and what its citizens must face. They have a chip on their shoulders because they want to overtake the US and you can sense that even in this forum. But there is still no comparison. Hell, most european countries are better places to live than China.

ashleyem likes this.
  13. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

No country is perfect, but in China you are only allowed to say "China is perfect". At least in the US and other western countries people can discuss the freely and criticize their government without fear. You can criticize the US here all you want but in China if you say something bad about the CCP you are a national traitor and get jailed and tortured. How dare you say people here are misinformed when China only allows one narrative to exist?

Sure, Hong Kong has a lot of economic and social issues. But people growing up in the Mainland have no idea what Hongkongers have gone through over the past 20 years because mainlanders have never tasted freedom, all you guys care about is money and materials, you do not understand why it is such a big deal and say we are spoiled. But HKers are different, Hong Kong used to be the most expressive and freest place in Asia, people here have experienced first hand what freedom is like. Once a bird got loose and experienced the outside world it will never be content going back to the cage.

And you want to talk about wealth gap? The culprit of all of these social issues that we have in Hong Kong is the Chinese government. Our incompetent leaders and parliament members are handpicked by Beijing and elected by the pro Beijing businesses. All the Chief Executive needs to get re-elected is to make the business sector and Beijing happy. Voices from the underpriviledged are constantly being ignored.

And you want to talk about the land issues? Then why does the government allow 150 mainland people to come to Hong Kong every day? Do you know how long HKers have protested against this? We have protested for ****ing 20+ years and nothing changed! Million of mainland people have acquired the right of abode in Hong Kong, raising our property prices, taking our public housing, taking our school places, abusing our social welfare, putting our medical system to an abyss!

2 million people came out for the march so the other 5 million must be pro-China. Are you kidding me? A lot of people get threatened by their employers for going to the protest. A lot of people are also scared of police brutaloty. Do you know how much courage it takes to join the protest. Meanwhile the Chinese companies in Hong Kong have been forcing employees to join the pro-government rally and hiring people to join the protest from the Mainland and ended up with like 100k people. So by your logic can I say 6.9 million people are anti-China?

https://www.pori.hk/trustchi
    According to the opinion poll last week, only 23% of people trust Beijing.

Deckard, Nook, saitou and 1 other person like this.
  14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Unfortunately i don't share your optimism about freedom, the yoke of tyranny seems to have a far better track record of winning these things.

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I'm a fan of your posts dachuda86......but not sure what made you think this (above).

dachuda86 likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not all. Just those that they do not agree with. Those that agree with them -- they propagate them.

The USA don't need to engage in another cold war fight, a fight of communism vs western democracy with blood and lives. That fight need to continue however in the intellectual and investment arena measured by human and society progress. I don't fear that China is going to physically spread beyond what they already have (HK included), but I do fear that China is going to win the human and society "progress" - their views of it. The mass manufacturing of superior babies and human being, advancement of machines and AI, and of medicine and beyond. That's where we are starting to lose the battle... from not focusing on the next evolution of energy, to the next level of baseline education, to a reduction on government sponsorship of advanced technological programs.... all things China is focusing on as they see Technology as the investment to propel them to the top. We … stuck in partisanship and division.

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The corporate media will do anything to make it seem like China is indiscriminately murdering people left and right.

The US is trying to leverage the only advantages it has right now: military supremacy, and a media monopoly, to demonize and try to start a new cold war with China. China's life expectancy even recently surpassed the US's, they hoodwinked western capital into dismantling production in their home countries, and now are the primary consumer goods producer for the whole world, and they have a renewable energy road map that puts the US to shame. Western billionaires have considerable interest in spreading sinophobia in the West.

The HK protests are funded by western NGOs. Waving American and British flags? Give me a ****ing break.

Central banks all over the world are replacing US dollar reserves with the yuan; in time the dollar will be dropped as the global reserve currency. US hegemony is in its death throes and it's showing.

18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Naturally, you have evidence to support this? ??

dachuda86 likes this.
  19. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

There you have it. This paragraph looks familiar? You have good company here in US. It took me a while to figure out what Trump’s “make America great again” slogan really mean is to make America white again. Similarly, you guys wanting to “make HongKong great” again and going back to colonial era, ultimately, means making HongKong free of mainland influence and free of mainlanders. That was why you guys harass mainland shoppers and tourists and purchased full page of Ads on newspapers and publicly insult mainlanders as “locusts”. You guys, in that regard, are counterpart to Trump supporters.

Too bad, Hong Kong is now a part of China and mainlanders have more rights to migrate to Hong Kong than Central America folks wanting to migrate to US. There is only 150 ppl allowed to migrate to HK precisely because you are dealing with a totalitarian regime. Can’t imagine any free country will put quotas on its citizens to move to another part of country.

That said, I fully support your rights to protest , demonstrate, and pursue full democracy. Nobody really like live in a totalitarian country. However, Some advice: stop using violence. So far HK police are showing great restraints under extreme pressure. Try charge at police, throw bricks and petrol bombs at them and see what it gets you in US or any countries. From that perspective, you guys are spoiled.

Finally, democracy and ability to elect your leaders, even you get there, don’t solve or eliminate income equality, corporate greed, and other social issues. Ask any liberal friends here and they can give you lecture in full detail. Chinese central government didn’t make you live in a 8x8 room or pay $4000+ for a 500sqft apartment. You should protest to those mega family business tycoons in HK You just choose a easy target and blame all your problems on mainlanders. Don’t destroy your home to make a point cause mainlanders can’t care less because they don’t draw a single cent of tax money from you.

#279 ivanyy2000, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    saitou likes this.
  20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW....dachuda86 has said a variety of things critical of Trump. I initially took him as being anti-Trump. That anyone considers him deluded by Trump shows their bias, not his. He is one of the more objective posters here.

What those who suffer from TDS will likely never understand, due to their feelings, is that it is entirely possible to objectively support things Trump is doing, without being 'deluded by Trump'

#280 BigDog63, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019