1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#362 zeeshan2, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

I heard Little has developed some bade habits that are hard to overcome (first step). I also heard Tytus Howard from Alabama State looked good at the Senior Bowl.

John Harris seems really low on Zach Allen from Boston College.

HstnSprtsFan101 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

These guys are professional and the good ones will find a way to be good enough wherever you put them. However, based on their size and how they move, some they would be more effective at G or RT. If anyone is saying he is a guard just because of his hand size then that absolutely is laughable. I don't think that's what is happening.

This was from last August,
    https://www.profootballweekly.com/2...-breakdown-alabama-ot-jonah-williams/awzd8xt/
    When Rankin was drafted my response on here was "great another guard" because that's where most projected him to play. The same was said about Cam Robinson, the Jags have kept him at tackle and I guess he's been decent.

I'm not saying they're right. I'm just saying it's not new so it's not based on this new measurement.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Let me ask you this...if Jonah Williams had those magical 34 inch arms, do you think folks would still project him as a OG? I'm gonna say no they wouldn't. In fact, I think he would've solidified himself as the best OT in the draft. Yet all of the rumblings are trending the opposite direction, all because of 3/8 of a inch.

Here's a nice article with some of the experts reactions:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...sive-tackle-2019-draft-129544606/#129544606_1

Just saying there is some major knee jerk reaction to this.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes. The article I posted listed a number of reasons why he would be better at guard and it was written seven months ago. That opinion was being made before the combine results. The article you posted quoted Mel Kiper from last week saying he should move to guard and he would be elite there. This isn't knee-jerk, at least not for me. He is still the best OL in the draft and will probably be the first drafted. He just has the body type that better suits a guard.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

34 inch arms aren't good or magical. It is the absolute minimum acceptable. It's like being exactly 6' tall as a QB. If he had 34 inch arms exactly, people would still have looked at him askance. What you described would be 36 inch arms.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

10. htownbball

htownbball Member

Which OT does everyone want? Doesn't seem like there are any stand out guys, just a mish mash of talented guys with some warts.

red5rocket and RasaqBoi like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. gucci888

Yup and that article based that solely on his arm length, not technique, not height, not strength, weight, speed, etc...But I'm assuming you had the same response when drafted Duane Brown right?

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  13. gucci888

Says who? Todd McShay? To say there is an absolute minimum acceptable is exactly what I'm getting at. Guys like Duane Brown, Joe Staley, Jason Peters, Jake Matthews, all unacceptable right? Joe Thomas, Bryan Bulaga? Why the hell did they even bother?

raining threes likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I've always wanted Greg Little. If he falls like everyone's predicting, I'd be ecstatic to get him in the second round. I think he's still the best tackle in the draft. Jonah Williams is probably next but I believe he'll go top 10. If not Little then I'd also be happy with Andre Dillard.

raining threes likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dillard, Bradbury, and Ford were the standouts from those OLine drills, but Dieter looked fairly good as well.

Disappointed at how Cajuste looked, he was being pegged by some as a potential first rounder

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

If you want to watch the combine

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Gil Brand'ts target numbers

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Jonah Williams looks really good as well...very fluid and smooth.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

It actually also based it on game tape:
    and other measurables:
    And please don't mistake this as MY response. My point was that they have been saying he would be awesome as a guard way before the measurements at the combine. They might all be wrong and they might all be right.(And we might never know because wherever he plays, we don't know if he would have been better at a different position). But it didn't just start because of the combine results. And most say he is still going to be awesome regardless of where you put him. I just don't think it is knee-jerk.