1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I understand; but risk-wise, it was a fairly safe bet that the team wouldn't be dealing a top 5 pick. I mean, they went 9-7 with Brock Osweiler, for heaven's sake.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I didn't think top 5 was that probable but I thought top 10 was a definite possibility.
    A lot of our top players are/were older and going in to the year our schedule had the highest s.o.s. going by last year (I know it each year's different).
    We did have to hit an almost perfect storm of suck to bottom out like we did though.

I'm happy with Deshaun but the brown's got a nice consolation prize.
    One of the top 3 qb's or Saquan Barkley.
    Or the chance to trade down if they get their qb at 1 and Barkley is gone by 4.

tierre_brown likes this.
  3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Plus we were just barely winning our division with a slightly over .500 record.
    I mean eventually these teams drafting closer to the top in our division would have to start hitting on picks.
    Jax and Ten have drafted much better than us lately and it finally started paying off.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

They will probably take Allen which sounds like a mistake taking him over Darnold and Rosen already. As for the 4th overall, I can see Saquan or a defensive player like Fitzpatrick

If Deshaun pans out as a top 5 QB for the next 10+ years, then we won the trade quite handily

5. showa13

showa13 Member

Out of the 3 Rosen needs the least amount of development, but it makes sense that Cleveland takes a hard look at a skinny Rothlisberger type QB due to the elements you play in in Cleveland. The more I watch of Darnold, the more it looks like he has super high bust potential. He's a guy who can rally the troops, but he needs a ton of work.

Not being able to draft Fitzpatrick makes me sad, but knowing it's cause of Deshaun makes me a whole lot less sad.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The guy broke records with a garbage line. I think it's safe to say we won.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The jags drafted high for years and the titans drafted high twice, but traded down for the Wentz trade and got a boatload of picks. Makes you wonder what would happen if they actually took Wentz and traded Mariota

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed on Darnold. If Rosen indicates he doesn't want to play for Cleveland, not sure I wouldn't take Barkley at #1, the best OT at #4, and Mayfield or Lamar at the top of the 2nd. Would seem nuts after passing up on Wentz and Watson but not sold on Darnold or Allen. Jackson and Barkley behind a good OL would be an interesting combo.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would take Barkley 1st, Fitzpatrick 4th and start fixing that line up throughout the 2nd and third rounds.

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Odds are neither Baker or Jackson will be available in the second round. Jackson is more likely but there's probably a 95% chance that both will be first round picks. That's not to say that they couldn't trade up into the late first round if they really loved Jackson, but Baker will be long gone by the late first round.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley 1st for sure. But I’d take Darnold at 4 then start building the oline. They won’t get another shot at drafting a top qb. Only way I see them passing on one of the top 3 qbs is if they think Mayfield or L.Jackson are going to fall.

Also believe Fitzpatrick is going to be a dog.

12. texian

texian Member

No chance in hell Baker Mayfield isn’t a first round pick.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think any of these QBs are worth being picked so high. They could get a QB like Luke Falk in the third and have him compete with Kizer for the starting spot. They could use this entire draft to build their team with. I think Kizer is better than what he showed last season. Barkley is the next big RB. He is more of a sure thing than any of the QBs being talked about.

red5rocket likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with neither are top picks but they won’t be there in the second and they still need a qb. I think Kizer is at best a second string. Only thing wrong with drafting either one of these qbs is they need to sit for a year behind a veteran. Kizer isn’t going to teach them anything.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

A lot of time left in the draft but:

16. texian

texian Member

It's all smoke right now.

Peter King said Browns will draft Allen.

One thing we know, they'll get pushed up high. A lot of QB needy teams and a number solid prospects.

#96 texian, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Third round projection

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya it'd be a gamble but you'd also have to see a record number of QBs go in the 1st for that to happen. Believe 4 is the most and that was back in 2011 and 2012. Based on history, think odds are better that 1 of the top 5 will be there.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Glad they didn't!!!
    And what if J-ville took Deshaun at 4? :eek:
    Wentz, Watson and Luck (maybe coming back strong) would've been a nightmare for us in the division!

I think that the brownies have gotten so much flak for passing on Wentz and then Deshaun they almost HAVE to take a QB at #1.
    Because if they again pass on someone else that hits big time then the fans will run them outta town.
    If they choose one and he misses, well at least they stepped up to the plate.
    Plus they now have the narrative that they were just waiting for this QB class all the time.

I really don't want them to get anyone good at 4 so it will be apparent that we won the trade, but I feel for Cle being bad for so long I hope they get a QB at 1.
    I just wonder if the 1st two picks are qb's if indy will take Barkley?