1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018 Lebron FA Watch] Houston Recruiting & Cap Magic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, May 28, 2018.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Silver lining of a Rockets loss.....I think we're in the lead to snag LBJ this off season.

Feel free for cap experts to adjust the numbers and CBA rules. I’ll update it with more accurate info as I get more information. But this is what I gathered so far from the numbers.

Scorched Earth: Using Cap Space Route

Requirements
    - CP3, LBJ, Ariza all have to take pay cuts
    - Using 2019 & 2021 1st Rounders
    - Release Right & Cap Holds to CP3 & Ariza
    - Lose LMM, Nene, Gordon, Ryno,

Trade Out to Clear Cap Space
    - Eric Gordon: Get back (No Salary in Return) and maybe 2nd rounder
    - Ryan Anderson: Attached (Pick from Ego Trade + 2019 and 2021 Hou 1st's) for no salary back
    - Nene, Onuaku for No Salary Back (Attach 2nd Rounders or Cash if Need Be)

Remaining Salary Against Cap
    - James Harden ($30,421,854)
    - PJ Tucker ($7,969,537)
    - Zhou Qi ($1,378,242)
    - Clint Capela ($7,003,584 Cap Hold)
    - 8 Incomplete Roster Charges @ $831,311 each ($6,650,488)

Total Cap Space Used: $53,423,705
    Cap Space Available: $47,576,295 ($101m estimated cap)
    Room Exception: $4,544,400

Signings
    - CP3 & LBJ split $47,576,295
    - Match Clint up to Max
    - Ariza for $4,544,400 (Room Exception)

Starting 5 Roster
    - LBJ ($28m)
    - CP3 ($19.6m)
    - Capela ($25m)
    - PJ Tucker ($7,969,537)

Bench
    - Ariza (4.5m)
    - Zhou Qi ($1,378,242)
    - Gerald Green ($1.6m Vet Min)
    - 5 More Required Roster Spots ($6-8mVet Mins & Buyout Candidates)

Total Salary
    $124-127m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above the Cap Route (Trade w/ Cleveland) + Match Capela + Using Taxpayer MLE
    Requirements:
    - Using 2019 & 2021 1st Rounders
    - CP3 & Ariza take pay cuts
    - Cleveland engaging Opt-in & Trade with LBJ

Trade Out
    - Eric Gordon: Get back Early 2nd + expiring or NGT’d
    - PJ Tucker: Get back Early 2nd + expiring or NGT’d
    - Ryan Anderson attached (Picks from Ego & Tucker Trade + Hou 2019 1st) for expiring of NGT’d
    - Nene, Onuaku: Attach Hou 2nd Rounders + No Salary Back
    - NGT’d + Expiring + Hou 2021 1st Rounder for (LBJ) + Option to take PJ or Ego

Starting 5 Roster
    - LBJ ($35,607,968)
    - CP3 ($28m)
    - Ariza ($8m using bird rights)
    - Capela ($25m)

Bench Roster
    - LMM (5.45m - Tax PayerMLE)
    - Zhou Qi ($1,378,242)
    - Gerald Green ($1.6 - Vet Min)
    - 4 More Required Roster Spots (Vet Mins & Buyout Candidates - $3-5m)

Total Salary
    $138-140m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above the Cap Route (Trade w/ Cleveland) + Let Capela Go/Sign another Center using Non-Tax MLE (Triggering Hard capping at $129m)
    * If you assume we don’t match Capela and let him walk or trade him for an asset

Starting 5 Roster
    - LBJ ($35,607,968)
    - CP3 ($35.6m)
    - PJ Tucker ($7,969,537)
    - DJ (or other Center) - $8m MLE

Bench Roster
    - Ariza ($5m)
    - Zhou Qi ($1,378,242)
    - Gerald Green ($1.6 - Vet Min)
    - 4 More Required Roster Spots (Vet Mins & Buyout Candidates - $3.3m)

Total Salary
    $129m Hard Cap (Luxury Tax Line + $6m)

Summary of Difference
    - All scenarios assume (Trading Ryno, Ego & parts + Picks) (Capela gets $25m max contract)
    - Under the Cap you lose only either Ariza or LMM, but LBJ & CP3 have to take significant cuts
    - Over the Cap you lose PJ Tucker and either Ariza or LMM, but only CP3 has to take a significant cut
    - Letting Capela walk, but you keep Tucker, Ariza (lose LMM) and CP3 gets his max too

If LBJ & CP3 are willing to take $5-10m less per year, the bench is stronger (Keeping PJ & Ariza) and we’re not hard capped

If LBJ what’s his max, CP3 has to take a pay cut and we lose depth (Losing PJ)

If LBJ and CP3 want max contracts, we could only sign Clint to a max if we literally fill out the rest of the roster spots with g-league players with 0 years of experience in the league.

#1 Rox>Mavs, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. Know Your Role

Not bringing Ariza back under any circumstances. The only plays he made in Houston that counted were on the Lakers in 2009. He's a hoax just like Anderson, Luc, Green, and Nene.

If we strike out on Lebron we can still execute Order 66 and PUPU PLATTER James Harden back to LA so he can make a bad pass in a crucial situation to Lonzo Ball.

3. Rox>Mavs

And for those of you $%!^ing on harden, he came up small but was the only star on the court for the rockets. CP3 and LBJ have the mental fortitude to take this team over the top. I don't trust Harden's mental resilience, but he's the workhorse that gets you buckets and wins. But we're going to need more leadership to get critical wins for a championship.

LBJ, CP3, Harden, Capela is our only way to get us over the top. DM's gotta make it happen...

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Rox>Mavs

Calm down, everyone looked like crap tonight....we lost to a team we were expected to lose to. Ariza is still useful and if you can keep him for taxpayer MLE money that's a steal. Move him to the bench to back up LBJ and he's solid for the team still.

Game7 and UTSA2step like this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

Honestly, I don't even like LeBron. He's a great player, but I would rather Morey upgrade in other ways.

kevtse and ReignSupreme like this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Any 3rd star would help. Not just LeBron.
    Cousins, Kawhi......

don grahamleone and ReignSupreme like this.
  7. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Rockets have proven they can beat the Warriors with a healthy squad.

They will come back stronger next year!

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol dude, say the truth, you had this ready to get posted from days :D

Will read tommorrow btw, now i'm dead :( i just want to say
    [​IMG]

UTSA2step and yixiixiy like this.
  9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I’m not an expert but pretty sure you can’t trade players without receiving salaries back..

10. Rox>Mavs

I agree we're real close, but CP3's health is only going to get worse. I learned we can't win with only 2 stars, especially if there's a chance one of them goes down by the time we're in the playoffs. Harden is a beast and scoring machine, but he needs more leadership around him. We win this game if CP3 is healthy.....but there's no certainty of that going forward either.

11. Rox>Mavs

you can if the team you're trading them to has cap space to absorb them.

12. Rox>Mavs

Good call Vivi, I started it after game 6.....was hoping I wouldn't have to post it. But I was looking to do something the take the edge off of a loss. If we won this series, no way LBJ is coming here.

btw, I'm not down for the scorched earth path and trading tuckwagon. He's vital and would hope we can just S&T for LBJ.

Invisible Fan and Vivi like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

**** my life

Invisible Fan, mikol13 and NateNate like this.
  14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I thought they had to trade back a certain percentage salary wise to make it work?

15. Rox>Mavs

No, you do if the trade partner is over the cap. But if they have cap space you can make the trade without taking any salary back and create a pretty large TPE to boot. But it'll cost a lot to dump a Ryno salary onto a team like Sacramento. Basically teams that can't sign anyone with cap space can get a few picks by renting their cap space for salary dumps.

16. Know Your Role

I'll compromise there, bench is acceptable for Ariza. But I don't believe it's a good game bad game situation for the rest of them.

17. hcw128

hcw128 Member

Definitely need to sign another Nike star.

18. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Easier said than done. We all felt the same way 3 years ago and look how that turned out.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

With CP3 another year older, it's clear we can't count on his health. The Warriors are too stacked to rely on 1.5 all star level players against them. LeBron is the only one who has beaten the Warriors in the last 4 years. Seems like an obvious solution to me.

BigggReddd, everyday eddie and saleem like this.
  20. Rox>Mavs

@BimaThug and any other capologist, I did my best with my understanding of the CBA to cover the scenarios and limitations of operating under or over the cap.

As I have no interest in watching another Cavs/Warriors finals, and I’m sure for many others here on CF, the question becomes how can we improve via LBJ to beat the warriors next year and a lot of us (myself included) need to dispel misunderstandings of the CBA as it relates to getting LBJ.

Lots of likes and appreciation to anyone that can analyze and edit any of my three scenarios in the OP.