1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Firefighters' Pay Proposition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Sep 25, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Agreed

How bloated could the department be if they are talking about laying off 400.

There are just over 4,000 firefighters

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

He pretty clearly stated before hand that this would hamstring the city in the future and that he was against it, though I don't necessarily remember the future being basically as soon as it went into effect. He will get blamed regardless though.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yes and a lot if HFD and HPD officers feel the same way i have spoken with a lot of them and they all say the same thing if everyone lived within the city they would be ok with the pay raises.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ruled unconstitutional

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's not over because it'll be appealed. I was trying to figure out the basis for saying it's unconstitutional, but haven't found it.

7. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The fraud that goes on in allowing last year fire fighters and police to stack and get a ton of overtime thereby entitling them
    to a lifetime pension higher than any years salary starting in their 50's is a charade. I blame the mayors and councils of every
    city for being pushed around by the only Unions left in the country. They bankrupted industry and now they'll bankrupt
    local governments.

The money has to come from somewhere and its not going to be pretty.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Overrules checks and balances. We don't like in a total democracy last i checked, the founding fathers made that very clear.

9. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

It was ruled constitutional by first judge, then appealed, and now ruled unconstitutional by second judge. It will be appealed and then go onto appellate court which will then go to Texas Supreme court. It was always going to go this way regardless of outcome. One party or the other was going to appeal.

10. dmoneybangbang

Pensioners and boomers are about to blow a hole in federal, state, and municipal budgets.

We simply can’t afford to be so generous.

RayRay10 and pgabriel like this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

**** it. Bring back the Obama death panels.

12. dmoneybangbang

“You’ve lived long enough”

13. HTM

HTM Member

I feel like Unions had a time and place but I feel like that went away long ago.

Unions got incredibly fat and then they went away because the costs was outrageous.

The cost of public sector workers is still outrageous but it won't go away because they don't operate in the same free market.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Or, looking at it from the opposite end, yanking the pensions out from under the pensioners who were promised that income is going to blow a hole in their personal budgets and leave us with a generation of poor elderly people.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Better that happens to our past than our future. If we are picking between drainage/infrastructure and pensioners, it’s a no brainer for me where the money should go.

I’d prefer it not to happen but how many decades did we have in advance to prepare for this? Incompetence and mismanagement does have its consequences promises or not, and it’s both sides that have failed.

16. MystikArkitect

Assuming most firefighters and police officers are Conservative and anti Government so they should strap themselves up by their boot straps and stop depending on the darn government for handouts. They should start their own independent fire fighting companies and then they can charge whatever they want and make whatever they want!

Hooray capitalism!

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pensions and retiree health care is what what was forcing auto companies into bankruptcy. They had no bank debt

Our overall economy simply cannot afford the things we could afford in the fifties and sixties. America's economy isnt the dominant force it was post WWII and as far as retirement is concerned one of the fundamental issues is people live a lot longer

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Corporate mismanagement is actually what typically forces companies into bankruptcy.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im stating facts about the auto companies. Reriree obligations were forcing them into bankruptcy with no bank debt.

Spin it however but pensions in the private sector are things of the past

20. dmoneybangbang

True. But all these old corporate giants have the burden of pensions while new companies don’t.