1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so hoping that Savage either fails or is injured. I guess that makes it better.

Look, I'm a bit uneasy about Savage being the starter given that he's never thrown for a TD in his career, but right now he's FAR ahead of the hype machine.....which isn't surprising, there's a reason why he was the 3rd QB taken in a draft that had no top tier day one starter QB talent.

That said, I do think Watson could make something of himself if he's given the time to correct the flaws in his game and properly learn the system.....but for some, that's not quick enough. They want to rush him into games which would almost certainly be terrible for him.

I'm hoping that after seeing him in preseason, people will calm their t*** a bit on that front.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

RG3 made the playoffs in his rookie season if I recall correctly. Wilson was ready to start right away. Dak played at an above average level as a rookie. Sure the Cowboys have the best offensive line but Dak was a mid rounder with a second round grade at best. Watson has a first round grade for sure.

He won't light up the league, but the Texans can win with Watson immediately. We won with guys like Case, Yates FFS.

Fulgore likes this.
  3. sammy

This is why people find you to be annoying. Stop posting on a message board and become a scout, qb coach, whatever you think you are.

TheRealist137 and Fulgore like this.
  4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Sammy just stop it. You're making way too much sense

sammy likes this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I don't think it is similar to saying "why not play the lottery?" Having faith in Savage versus having faith in Watson is like choosing to be on a welfare check rather than putting some of your money into a medium risk, high reward mutual fund, and hoping for the best. You know Savage isn't going to amount to anything worthwhile, he is going to be on a very short regular season leash, and I think there is a decent chance Watson will win the job outright in the pre-season.

As for Rodgers, you are talking about an all-time great. I'm pretty sure he would have been an excellent quarterback regardless. That is my point with Carr, he wasn't good. I think that is overlooked when people talk about how he was forced into action.

Crashlanded19 and Fulgore like this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

again this word HOPE which no one is using except you. you're arguing into a mirror and losing LOL!?!?

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Some people find me to be annoying because they are upset that their hot takes get shredded. I'm okay with those people being upset about it....though it would do them more good if they were upset about their shortcomings instead of having them exposed.

RG3 was a MUCH more highly touted prospect than Watson, hell there were some that argued (foolishly IMO) that there was a case for him over Andrew Luck who was seen as the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. You are absolutely comparing apples to oranges here.

As to Dak, he hid behind the absolute best O line in the NFL and handed the ball off for most of the season. You simply can't compare what was by far the easiest job in the NFL to the situation here in Houston....oh and BTW, the Cowboys were 1 and done in the playoffs despite the hype.

As to what grade players were given, there were plenty of professional scouts and NFL teams that didn't have a first round grade on Watson. He was drafted so high due to the run on QB's and the fact that it was a super weak QB class. For the Texans it was basically trade up for Watson, or don't take a QB at all which would have had the fanbase b****ing and moaning all off-season long.

I get that you don't think playing a QB who is nowhere near ready to see the field is similar to playing the lottery, but it is. Could the flaws in his game just magically fix themselves? Sure.....but the odds are pretty terrible.

Sure, no one is actually using that word, they are just describing that exact situation. People are going insane hyping Watson and suggesting that they want him to start day one.....which of course can't happen unless Savage gets hurt....thus they are hoping Savage gets hurt because it's the only way they can get what they want.

You don't have to actually say you hope something happens to get across the fact that you want it to happen.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Where do you get the idea that he is "nowhere near ready to see the field"? We haven't seen him play yet. I am basing my positivity off of two things:

1. No OVERWHELMENGLY negative or panicked reports from the beat writers.

2. Bill O'Brien's very uncharacteristic praise of Watson.

So you are asking "why are you taking the little information you have and projecting Watson will start sooner rather than later?"

Because, I have seen Savage's body of work, and it gives me no reason to be optimistic about him being a competent starting QB.

Of course, Savage is going to be ahead in terms of running the offense, that is expected, but the bar for Watson to surpass Savage is very, very low. I wouldn't be surprised if he does so sooner rather than later.

If I were to give anything lottery odds, it would be that Savage becomes a competent enough player to lead the Texans through a full season. He has had years to do that, whereas Watson has only had a couple weeks of camp.

9. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

The guy gives relevant information to his argument and you say he's annoying? C'mon now.

10. sammy

When he has his mind made up, he tells us the same thing in a lot of different ways. Sorta how DD used to do. We get it.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No fault of Prescott the Cowboys lost that game.....

12. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I am not sold one bit on Deshaun being "the guy" moving forward. My reasoning is that our team's track record in evaluating QB talent is awful as well as he hasn't set foot in an NFL game. We give Osweiler "the guy" money and have a sizable chunk of NFL footage to take from. Yet we bring in a rookie (as decorated a college career as they get short of winning the Heisman) and most people act as if it's a foregone conclusion that he will lead us to the promised land.

Essentially my point is a college body of work doesn't mean jack compared to seeing how he does against NFL talent (obvious I know, but had to put it out there). This stance could drastically change in 32 hours from now :) , but until I see him produce on the field, I am putting no faith in the idea that he can produce wins for us.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Never said he did. Wining or losing had little to do with him last season. I think we'll see what happens to that hype train this time next year.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've found that the more relevant information you use to support an idea that runs contrary to what others want to believe, the more "annoying" they find it.

RudyT43 likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just that you were writing about Prescott and then immediately segued into their playoff failure.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if they had a better QB, they might have won. Dak isn't the type of QB that will win you games or lose them for you, he's just a guy who can be pretty good while camped out behind the best O line in the game and can wait around to find some easy passes with the time the O line provides and hand the ball off.

Again, not his fault, but most would hope for better.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No better way to show your inherent bias than to downplay one of the greatest rookie seasons ever. Who cares if he can be better, he was a rookie. Tom Brady was a game manager too the first few seasons he played. If you're hoping for "better" out of a rookie QB in the NFL, then you are just plain football ignorant or incredibly bias, which is what you are.

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

The NFL season cannot begin until Bobby tries to have an argument against the whole board. Happens every season. It's probably a ritual. You all are making his day.

DreamShook and Mr. Clutch like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No better way to show your ignorance than to buy into yet another instance of fool's gold. I guess people like you didn't learn your lesson with Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco....

Oh well, you making an ass out of yourself is par for the course.

Not the whole board, just those who are quite a bit behind the curve and buying into BS.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Joe Flacco, the guy that went 14 TD and 12 INT as a rookie? Mark Sanchez, the guy that had 12 TD and 20 INT as a rookie?

Dak Prescott: 23 TD, 4 INT.

It might be nice for you to look up some stats every once in a while.

Fulgore likes this.