1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, Jun 5, 2013.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

C- Jason Castro
    Showing he can hit with some pop this year. When he was drafted, I thought we'd be lucky to get .275/10hr/65rbi.

1B- Jonathan Singleton
    No brainer here. Singleton should be a 25-30 hr type guy who draws walks.

2B- Jose Altuve
    Probably been our most consistent guy the past 3 years. Hope he sticks around.

3B- Carlos Correa
    Correa should be able to stay at SS, but Rio Ruiz hasn't done squat yet at LoA and honestly, I wasn't too happy with Ruiz at that pick. Ruiz didn't put up monster stats in highschool, granted he played against very good competition, but for someone given $1.85M, I'd expect them to hit more than 3hr in a high school season. Correa is still growing and developing, and I think his 2014 year will be the year he blows up.

SS- Nolan Fontana
    Will Jonathan Villar ever develop into a consistent player? Maybe, maybe not. Fonanta is more of a glue guy who will hit in the 8 hole in this lineup, but he draws walks, provides solid defense, and his bat isn't a complete liability ala Adam Everett.

LF- Preston Tucker
    A sleeper because he was a senior sign, but he's got a great track record in college and all he's done is hit since he's signed.

CF- Delino Deshields
    Does he stay at 2B? I'm not sure if he can displace Altuve, but hopefully he's ready for the show in 4 years. Been a little slow to develop, but I think we're wasting his athleticism at 2B. Put him back in the outfield and let him run around with Springer flanking him.

RF- George Springer
    Still needs to cut down on the strikeouts, but he still hits for a high average, hits with power, plays great defense, and steals bases, and draws walks. At worst, he's Mike Cameron.

P- Bud Norris
    Should still be in his prime. Not a true number 1, but he's proven he can pitch in the bigs.

P- Mike Foltyniwizwfwed
    Absolutely blowing up the past 2 years. Has reached 100mph on the gun. Let's see if he can develop his breaking ball.

P- Jordan Lyles
    Really surprised me with his velocity jump last year. Still lacks a true out pitch. If he ever masters that curveball, he could be a #1.

P- Nick Tropeano
    Similar to Lyles, had a jump in velocity after signing and is in the 90-93mph range with a very good changeup, but doesn't have a true out pitch.

P- Asher Wojcieceowewnf
    I don't know much about him, but the Astros seem to like him. Workhorse type guy who pounds the strikezone, but lacks a true out pitch.

CP- Lance McCullers
    Has a fastball-breaking ball combo. Will he ever develop a changeup and the command to be a starter? Not sure, but his bulldog mentality would fit great in the pen.

Notable Players
    Jonathan Villar- Strikes out a tad much, doesn't walk enough, doesn't hit consistently enough, and makes too many errors. Big upside, but he might not get there.
    Domingo Santana- I'm not sure if I believe in his bat. Big power, but strikes out alot and doesn't walk enough. Still very young and has lots of time to develop.
    Jarred Cosart- Sooner or later, he's gonna be put in the pen.
    Vincent Velasquez- Really like this kid. Huge upside and has shown it in spurts. Has been a little off lately, but I think he has #2 type upside.

2. 713

713 Member

CC is still 2-3 years from even sniffing the majors.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Which would seem to fit well with the OP's plan for 2017.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'll tell you after tomorrow... Also not all of our young guys are going to work out so that is where Craine is going to have to spend a little money to bring in a player to fill in those gaps.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

If both Cullers and Cosart are in the pen.... we are in for a much longer ride back to respectability.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, and predicting mccullers for the pen and not starter/possible front-of-rotation starter seems like a guess based on nothing.

i'd love the idea of bud sticking around and being a veteran presence and our #4 or 5 starter by the time everybody develops. and i'll admit, that's a prisoner-of-the-moment'ish view of bud.

7. studogg

pitchers like Bud (hard throwers) have to learn to pitch. It is not that crazy to think he could put it together over time and become a front end pitcher. As it stands now I feel he is a strong #3. Light's out at home, learning on the road.
    If he gets it on the road - watch out.

I like the idea of keeping Bud because we have several legit prospects coming up soon and the reign of pathetic is almost over. If we trade bud and harrell (which I'm fine with harrell being gone) - we have to develop a full new rotation.

I could see a rotation next year and a fairly competitive team of the following (and this is next year - not 3 down the road)

1. Bud (defacto - new pitchers have to develop)
    2. Cosart
    3. Wojo
    4. Clemens (i really like him and think he could be great from the pen, but more valuable as a starter
    5. Lyles

1b Singleton
    2b altuve
    ss villar
    3b dominguez
    rf barnes/martinez
    cf singleton
    lf wates

they will struggle early on as pitchers and hitters adjust, but will be fun and competitive late

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

C: Castro
    1B: Singleton
    2B: Fontana
    3B: Dominguez
    SS: Correa
    LF: J.D.
    CF: Springer
    RF: Santana
    DH: Altuve

1. McCullers
    2. Folty
    3. Nitro
    4. Woji
    5. Cosart

Bench: Tucker
    Bench: Stassi
    Bench: Jose Martinez
    Bench: Aplin

BP: Musgrove
    BP: Stoffel
    BP: Chapman
    BP: Quevedo
    BP: Long
    BP: Clemens
    CL: Velasquez

10. htownbball

htownbball Member

Perhaps we put Tucker at DH and have Wates or Aplin in LF. Should be a pretty fast outfield if DD is in CF.

11. htownbball

htownbball Member

Hopefully McCullers can get there. Right now, looking at our organization, we have nobody to be our future closer (maybe that's Cosart, I don't know). I saw a need, McCullers seems like he'd be a perfect fit, so I stuck him there.

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I'd rather keep him as a starter. Also you're missing one thing, we are talking about 2017. I don't know about you, but I think there are more drafts and time to sign players. I'd rather not move a high potential starter to closer, just because we need a closer.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Closer isn't a position you need to map out long term. If you have a home grown closer, he's probably a failed starter which is what you're implying would happen to McCullers.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You guys are far too optimistic about prospects. Most of them are gonna miss, thats a simple fact.

If 1/3 of out current top 10 lives up to expectations we should be thrilled.

15. juicystream

We can't be realistic. This is 4 years from now. Obviously a large portion of that team is not with the organization yet.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I just hope singleton I more than a 25-30 hr guy, not that there I anything wrong with that. But him or springer needs to be a true star, a 35+hr guy that hits for average and drives in 120

17. juicystream

Those guys are mostly a thing of the past. Consider only 9 guys hit 35HR last year, and 2 of them had awful averages.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Ok call me crazy, but I want a top 9 type of hitter

19. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

You're not crazy, I want 9 top 9 hitters.

20. studogg

I didn't predict stats. I didn't predict success. I predicted a team with potential that is more fun to watch than what we've had in a long while.

If by next year my projections aren't true - the train has derailed.