1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ronaldo in a year:

2 CL trophy
    Euro trophy
    La Liga trophy

What an accomplishment.

And how about Zidane as a new manager?

2 CL trophies and a La Liga trophy in his short term as a rookie manager.

I remember most thinking he would fail at this job but he has done a really good job of managing egos and silently managing with an iron fist.

His tactical choices have been pretty good and I think his approach of a balanced team has paid dividends.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's very much what Roberto Carlos was for Real back in the day. Push from the back and create massive headaches for the opposing defense.

That 2nd half was just an ass kicking. Juve just couldn't keep up with Real's pace.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Zidane joined a CL champion, let's not overrate him.

Also, Real have shown weaknesses each year and weren't as dominant as one would assume after all those titles. They were on the brink of elimination multiple times, had last-minute goals, questionable ref decisions and opponents made crucial mistakes.
    This team has actually had some of the least convincing title runs that I can remember and was on the ropes each season (won la decima because Dortmund was too stupid to score the decisive goal, last-minute equalizer vs Atletico and this season favored by the refs and Vidal missing a penalty).

Don't think Barca is the "only" team stopping them, in fact Bayern and Atletico gave them way more problems these past few seasons.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Spoilered for size:
    [​IMG]

Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yeah but is there any reason to assume he will win? I figure he will lose and step away from the team to let them flounder. It's not as if he'll have a bunch of other prospective BL club owners from Asia/etc join his suit against the DFB?

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

A lot of experts say the rule breaches EU competition law, if Ismaik goes the full distance (EU court) there's a pretty good chance of him winning.

50+1 is a messy rule with loopholes and some call it more of a gentlemen's agreement, the only reason it has never been contested is because the clubs that oppose the rule aren't bothering with going to court and probably don't want to upset other owners too much.

With Ismaik being pissed, there's a good change he'll never settle. In case German courts don't agree with him, he'll go all the way up to the highest courts in Europe, which will be much more likely to side with his case.

If you think about the rule itself, denying a majority owner the majority of voting rights makes absolutely no sense market-wise and is only in place to help clubs with a tradition. I don't see EU courts upholding 50+1 just because of Bundesliga traditions, the rule really makes no sense in a world with free markets.

Jontro and ferrari77 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think sponsors and investors should take more action in this. Free market or not.

Imagine if Les Alexander would have control over most day to day business, trades and drafts, even as a long term owner, that would be chaos.

If they hire a manager to do it for them, they are just puppets.

I would be fine with a 2/3 voting system like in most parlaments.

But I can see another Red Bull swoop in and buy all the stacks, change the name to Red Bull Munich.

A conglomerate deal.

If they let them.

#1127 daywalker02, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yes, but that thought process has no merit in the courtroom, which is why I totally understand Ismaik. The guy has invested 70mil but still has heavy opposition within the club, it's understandable he wants to see a clear structure.

And too many people forget this when talking abotu 1860:
    The mismanagement began way before Ismaik bought himself into the club and he isn't the reason for this disaster.
    There's always been fights behind the scenes and the Allianz Arena deal was a terrible idea financial-wise, but these guys thought they'd play in Bundesliga for a long time. And even in the interviews from Friday (when they lost their license) it was extremely obvious that the current preesidents of the club are stubborn and want to oppose Ismaik at all costs, no matter the outcome.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If their management is so turrible, I would pray for insolvency of any kind and new owners taking the majority.

If they can save the name 1860 and Lions so be it, otherwise new name under new ownership and management.

Sucks for the fans but if you are terrible in management, futball itself, no real visions, you deserve to hit the restart button under a new alias.

#1129 daywalker02, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Yung-T likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So teh L'Equipe report was rubbish, German and Dutch media are now unanimously reporting that Bosz (current Ajax coach) will be presented as new BVB coach next week.

But hey, there's still a Dutch breh coming.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Totaal Voetbal in Dortmund!

Yung-T likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Dortmund has already been linked to my breh Amin Younes a few weeks ago, so this is definitely interesting. :oops:

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Danny Axel Zagadou for now.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think he'll play for their 2nd team a bit, don't see him starting in place of Sokratis, Bartra and Toprak for a while.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am shocked by this.

RIP Cheik Tiote.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Saw this, happens quite often unfortunately. :(

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh man, what a very sad news. he was a beast, didn't know he left for china. passed away so close to his birthday too :(

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

30 is way too young, RIP so sad.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

After sacking Tuchel, Watzke now did several moronic interviews, claiming that none of the players asked for a postponement of the match etc.
    2nd fiddle idiots like Sahin also crapped on Tuchel, but now several key players (Aubameyang, Dembele, Pulisic etc) have come out and said how they're disappointed to see Tuchel go, that they loved playing and trusted him.
    Reus, Dembele and others have also stated that basically every player wanted a postponement of the match and didn't feel respected.

This is pure comedy, Watzke is looking like a complete liar and his apparent reasons for sacking Tuchel are pretty much debunked. One of his biggest reasons was Tuchel calling the Monaco decision out publicly, but now key players did the same and he's suddenly not punishing them.
    Watzke and the front office have pretty much lost the trust of key youngsters and I assume many of them will leave in the next years.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

[​IMG]

City locked up Ederson today adding to the earlier signing of Bernardo Silva.

With City moving on from Hart and Bravo not having worked out the need for a #1 goalie was paramount. Ederson provides City a young goalie with the ability to move the ball and play from the back that Pep likes coupled with the ability to make fantastic saves that he showcased during the Champion's League this past season. He also provides the added benefit of having a cannon left foot and the ability to pinpoint goal kicks well into the other teams half. It is yet to be seen how he will mentally adjust to playing in the Premier League but all the skills are there for Ederson to play the position the way Pep likes.

As a City fan I love that 2 such high profile signings have been finalized so early on that the players will be able to train with the team all summer. Mendy, Walker and Sanchez are the remaining City targets that have been seriously linked to City. Talks have been ongoing with Mendy and Walker and there seems to be an inpass between City's valuation of the players against their respective current clubs. I have a bad feeling City will have to cave into Monaco and Tottenham's demands because of the need at the wing back positions and pony up near 100 million pounds to lock them both up.