1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think lfc has always had manu and arse's numbers every time they meet.

realistically, pool is gunning for that europa spot. the competition is too tight for a top 4 with the team being so inconsistent.
    firminho becoming a mute offensively since the new year is a head scratcher. mane is literally our engine now, hope he stays injury free.

i expect our top players (starting with cou) to seriously consider other top teams if lfc finishes outside of top 5. hell even a 5th place finish would make it difficult to keep our stars.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Remember it's Dortmund we're talking about, during Klopp's tenure they didn't have the appeal to attract star players. Their biggest signings during the Klopp era were Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Reus, Gündogan, Lewandowski and Immobile.

I expect Liverpool to go hard this summer, Klopp is by no means opposed to signing stars.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

i don't think lfc has that much of an appeal nowadays breh, it's been like that for several years. we lost out signing players to friggin tottenham post rafa benitez. i can only think of suarez as a top signing since then... others were potential players who developed with the club. i don't know where mane stands though, in terms of star power.

true that lfc doesn't have the cl to boast so any stars they sign will have to be severely overpaid like citeh. up to fsg to put their trust and money in klopp's hands.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol I take abilities over star power. I do not think Mane has the appeal for companies to do tons of commercials like world stars CR7, Messi, Bale, Neymar, Robben and Co.

However Mane, Firmino and Coutinho are stars in the EPL in my book.

Guys like Lallana and Wijnaldum got star potential. And Milner is not exposed much but he got game.

LFC is a club that makes big stars rather than signing one.

I think Dortmund is similar that they do not buy Aubameyangs but they make Aubas, Reus and Mikhis.

They need to hold on to them and not selling them to Barca, Real, Bayern, United, City, PSG at the first opportunity......

#704 daywalker02, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Really funny that the Spurs seem to be so consistent but yet not able to outdo a more consistent side. (Chelsea or last year's Leicester)

And Roger Schmidt getting sacked. I liked watching his team in Salzburg.

#705 daywalker02, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  6. Raz

Raz Member

Wasn't able to bring any consistency to Leverkusen. And his permanent misbehavior during games didn't help either. Very dislikeable person, glad he's gone.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I went through old photos and came across this

[​IMG]

Never knew he was a Chelsea player

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Playing like utter sh** tonight, good thing we've already sealed the deal in the first leg.

moestavern19 likes this.
  9. Raz

Raz Member

Bad performance by Bayern so far. The lead is still stable, but you don't want to let the opponent feel like they have a chance. Gotta make that away goal soon and shatter all of Arsenal's hopes.

10. Raz

Raz Member

There you go. Penalty Bayern, Red Card Koscielny, Goal Lewandowski. That should do it.

11. Raz

Raz Member

LMAO Arsenal falling apart again. Zero pride. Could've at least finished the game with some professionalism.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Great performances from Costa and Vidal, Sanches also showing vision and calmness with that assist.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not see this way. Red card changed it all. The matchup was already over but basically they tried in the beginning.

The team is not that good at this moment, esp. mentally. It showed in the Premier league, definitely showed tonight and first game.

I guess Bayern had one or two mediocre games in the league too but that is far from what the Gunners are experiencing at the moment.

Of course FCB is one of the favorites to win it all with that said.

Raz likes this.
  14. Raz

Raz Member

Sure, they knew they were out. But at least three goals after the penalty could've been avoided with some signs of effort. Instead they just let it happen. Could've at least finished the game with some dignity. But who am I to complain?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very few teams do park the bus in the EPL. They fight fire with fire. I can imagine they wanted to score rather than defend in the end.

Open space for counter attacks and overall bad offsides arrangements altogether.
    Vulnerable at both sides for wingers.

Arsenal is not a Jose Mourinho or Antonio Conte team.

Guordiola's team conceded 3 at home against Monaco.

Bayern is a strong 2 way team.

People really love to watch more goals to be honest. But I guess the home fans would love it more if the resut was reversed.

16. Raz

Raz Member

1-2 was careless football starting with the keeper and completed by his defenders
    1-4 was a terrible pass by Mustafi, an amateur would've been ashamed of and afterwards no effort to correct the mistake by his teammates
    1-5 all the defenders basically gave up and just stopped playing

I'm not saying they should've parked the bus, but could've at least finished the game with spirit and seriousness. None of that happened, they weren't even trying.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hope Dortmund pulls through tonight, being eliminated by Benfica would suck.

Barca vs PSG will be interesting as hell, the lead going into the 2nd leg would usually be enough to advance, but Barca are known to occasionally go berzerk in Camp Nou. Two early goals and it will be an epic game.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Barca 1:0 after two minutes, knew this game would be intense.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

2:0 ha, that's what happens when you go into a game vs Barca and try to only defend instead of competing.