1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Raz

Raz Member

Sometimes the team's acronyms lead to great combinations... (OGC Nice vs AS Saint-Étienne)

ramotadab, AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Out of curiosity: So is Bayern your sole fav or are there other teams you support?

3. Raz

Raz Member

I'm a very loyal person, so when I chose Bayern as a kid, it was clear that I'd never wear another team's shirt (same with the Rockets). I do support the teams from my hometown, VfB Stuttgart and Stuttgarter Kickers, and when VfB won the Bundesliga in 2007, I was at the Schlossplatz with around 200.000 people celebrating, since most of my friends are VfB fans and I can be happy with them. I also have sympathies for Feyenoord because of their tradition and fan base. But it's always Bayern first.

How about you? :)

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Now that's some last-minute effort, all of Ancelotti's substitutions involved in the goals today. :)
    Arsenal game on Wednesday should be interesting.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mane is electrifying.

6. Raz

Raz Member

Happy with the win, but this was the fifth game in a row that was utter bullshit. Starting Alonso, Vidal, Kimmich and Thiago all next to each other with only two real offensive players - how was that supposed to work? Offense started to roll when Costa and Robben came on. Ancelotti seriously need so start questioning himself and play a more reasonable lineup on Wednesday.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Feel like it was reasonable, we need Costa and Robben at their best vs Arsenal.
    Game was okay in my opinion, strong showing on defense and we could've scored earlier, Müller and Thiago with great chances.

That said, I'll only judge Ancelotti's success after more CL performances, his teams always underperform in the league and unleash their potential when it really matters (CL). This was well-known and I'd be more than happy if we continue to have underwhelming league wins while advancing in CL.
    Ancelotti is a coach you hire to win important trophies, not just meaningless league games or titles that are a must (league and cup).

PS: People need to remember how Heynckes' first season went, with the comments I'm seeing right now a ton of people would've sacked him prematurely and we would've never won the triple.

AroundTheWorld and Raz like this.
  8. Raz

Raz Member

Could've started Coman though. Like I said, playing only Müller and Lewandowski is not enough to create chances. The offense was lethargic for most of the game and you don't need four central midfielders against Ingolstadt.

Let's see if you prediction holds up, we need to get on track. Arsenal is the right game to finally show up

Yung-T likes this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, would've liked to see Coman and Sanches starting as well, these guys need a confidence boost and this game would've been perfect.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Great thing you going there.

Basically me just being into fantasy sports, transfers, international football.

Since I took courses in university for markets, marketing I am interested in rising markets/leagues such as:
    the Mexican league, Chinese league and the MLS for starters while still being aware of exporting markets such as the South American leagues (Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile), as well as smaller markets in Europe.

I used to have one fav club in each 4 top leagues except for Germany (I just like underdogs and fast playing style there).

Favs: Barca, Arsenal, Juve, I used to follow Milan in the 90s as well but not now.
    Now these times belong to the Premier League and couple of Spanish, German, other rich teams

While going to school in Vienna, I grew up with SK Rapid (greatest fan base in the city and surrounding), then I went to couple of countries in Asia and followed the football there. (CSL, Kleague, Aleague and JLeague mostly)

Speaking of fanhood I am neither a fanatic nor a transitional fairweather dude, just a moderate guy cheering for his couple of teams.

That's about it. Cheers!

#630 daywalker02, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    ramotadab, Raz and Yung-T like this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

C**t of the week:

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Jesus subsituted out of the game early with an ankle inury noo, just when my Gabriel Jesus evening started.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Out for 2-3 months with a broken foot, nooo. Sucks for him, hope he recovers quick and returns in great fashion.

14. Raz

Raz Member

Champions League is back with a sensational 4-0 PSG win over Barcelona. Never saw that coming, but great to see Jules Draxler rise. Benfica wins 1-0 against Dortmund in the other match of the day, powered by a disastrous Aubameyang penalty miss.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ugh. Unfortunate, but if Aguero stays healthy City still have a slim chance at the league. I was excited yesterday too to see him poaching in the box.

Sterling, KDB, Sane, Silva. So many playmakers, so little confidence everywhere else. Bravo a disaster, Stones not ready, Kompany not fit, Now Fernandinho as a fullback?

Pep needs a good run in the CL to salvage the season. If Barca is knocked out no reason they can't at least make the semis again.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Robben <3 <3 <3

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That ref is f...in terrible.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

F*** that ref, wtf is this.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

At least it's 4:1 now, but that should've been a hand penalty again. Rare to see such a bad performance from a ref in CL.

20. Raz

Raz Member

Weird game. At halftime I was worried, because the defense looked unstable again and Arsenal was closer to the 2-1. But Bayern managed to turn things around. Of course we got a little lucky that Koscielny went down, their defense struggled big time without him. Still, great turnaround. Lahm, Robben and Thiago were great tonight. Douglas Costa not so much, we need Ribéry back for the quarter finals.