1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 MLB Postseason

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

That's what poor ownership does. We finally have an owner and FO that seems to care.

2. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

The whole State of Texas will be watching for their two beloved teams in do or die games on the road.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And if they win... they'll just be another team again.

Much like what happened with the Phillies in 1980 and the Red Sox in 2004.

In some ways, "mystique" that comes with losing and curses is actually something that adds to popularity.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yep. In one way, I'd want them to win so everyone will just shut up about them.

In another way, screw the cubs.

5. ItsMyFault

The Phillies haven't gained as much from a championship as what the Red Sox have and what the Cubs would. Popularity-wise the Cubs would go up just like the Red Sox did.

I think what you're referring to is the underdog card. Yeah that would be gone, but that's a given after a team that hasn't won in a long time wins something. I'll admit if we do win, whether it's this year or in the next few years, I won't be looking forward to all the bandwagoners across the country like the ones the Red Sox have now.

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Stupid call trying to steal third..

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're not following my point.

You obviously weren't around in 1980.... the Phillies were considered just as "cursed" as the Red Sox were and the Cubs are now. A team that had been around since 1883 without a single WS title.

And since then, they've just been another team... same with the Red Sox after they finally broke through in 2004.

When teams are long-suffering "losers" (some years in heart-breaking fashion), it actually does not really diminish the overall interest in the team... and once the team wins, the collective exhale actually does take away from some of the "mystique".

All these teams are "popular"... but when you add possible jinxes and curses on top of that popularity, it does drive up interest.

8. ItsMyFault

No I understand exactly what you're saying, but the popularity I was referring to is different from the interest in rooting for an underdog. The Red Sox are even more relevant now than they used to be even being the underdog because they've won so much over the last 11 years. I see your point about being "just another team" but what I'm saying is winning is going to drive up popularity and increase bandwagoners which for fanbases like the Red Sox and Cubs is pretty big. It brings in more money because of the fan base being so big nationally -- this only happens if you win though.

I think we're speaking amongst completely different topics though. I don't know why I mixed the two up. My apologies.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... obviously winning is good for everybody. I'm mainly referring to the attention these "cursed teams" get simply because of the "curse". All these teams are big money teams and have scores of bandwagon fans as it is.

But once a team finally breaks through and wins, and breaks all the jinxes/curses/whatevers you have.... there is a noticeable difference in how the franchise is perceived.

Sure, Red Sox fans were disappointed at this season... but their past recent success makes seasons like this far more palatable (vs. previous years where the curse would have been in "full effect").

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gonna end up lookin' like ... again. :grin:

[​IMG]

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There's definitely a "Lovable Loser" vibe that is pervasive in baseball that really doesn't exist in any other sport (outside of perhaps European soccer). Basketball and football fans certainly don't extend the same level of affection towards say, the Clippers or the Browns that Cubs fans, Red Sox fans, and even Astros and Rangers fans feel towards their teams.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brilliant Shin Soo-Choo.

#92 J.R., Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lol. Of course Odor is in the middle of some bulls***. This guy has a knack for being in the middle of controversial plays.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What is it that's happening here? Seems like a normal play to me.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Crazy inning

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This is a wild game.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Bautista destroyed that pitch. My God.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That was nuts! See if anyone gets plunked now.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This might be the craziest game I have ever followed on Gamecast, lol. I need to watch that full inning when I get home from work.