1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 National Signing Day

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Bear_Bryant, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That little toothpick is an inside linebacker? He's definitely going to TAMU then, we send tiny linebackers like that to the slaughter in College Station.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

- better defense

- a better chance to play for a national championship

- a coach who has been a DC on a national championship team and a HC on a team that finished ranked higher than A&M

- Some of the very best facilities in the nation

- a team that does not see 8 and 4 as a good year (like A&M does)

- play in one of the nations top rivalries in the Cotton Bowl every year

Sure A&M has a lot of reasons but don't act like UT does not have several very good reasons of its own. thats just a rediculous statement.

3. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Some of these reasons are a little dated, and 8-4 isn't a stellar year, but we also play in a competitive conference. Playing OU is an attraction over Bama and LSU? Sorry, but some of these reasons wouldn't "wooo" anyone. Also playing for a coach that finished ranked higher than A&M last year? When did that start to matter?

That being said, there are tons of reasons for both schools, and I really hope it comes down to where this guy truly wants to attend school. When it comes to playing football, you will get just as much of a chance to go to the NFL or play at a high collegiate level at A&M as Texas.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all kids stop arguing over some scrawny 4 star. Sumlin has a thousand of these jabronis lined up waiting.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Burnnnnnn

6. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Not that I necessarily believe this, but any worry that the SEC is peaking? Some notable chinks in the armor over the last 13 months - finally giving up the championship, unbeatable Bama losing to OU, Florida sucking, etc... The SEC certainly wasn't always this good, and history has shown that cycles always end.

SEC will always be a good place for football, but I don't mind that it seems like Texas is looking west. Better cultural fit, and we may be able to ride the demographic trend of westward movement to success.

7. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think Alabama (similar to Oregon), just suffered from a let down. They only cared about a National Title, and once that was gone, they couldn't mentally deal with it.

Florida sucking was kind of made up for by a resurgent Auburn and strong showings from Missouri & Vandy.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with you that both schools have a lot of compelling reasons that attract a recruit. I admit that and you admit that; but Brando2101 was asking for multiple reasons and so there you have it.

I think Sumlin is a good coach and now that DeLoss is out of the way I really hope to restart the rivalry game between UT and A&M as it should have never stopped. Regardless, I would consider the Red River Rivalry as bigger than A&M/Bamma or A&M/LSU. I would also consider UT/A&M bigger than A&M/Bamma or A&M/LSU. Following is a list that was put out a few years ago (yes it's oppininion based but so are they all) of the greatest college football rivalry games of all time.

http://www.americasbestonline.net/crival.htm
    Greatest College Football Rivalries
    1. Oklahoma vs Texas
    Series Record: Texas leads 58-40-5.
    Trophy: The Golden Hat
    Known as: "The Red River Shootout". The winning team's state is supposed to get ownership of the Red River for one year until the next game. It's one the few rivalries that are played on a neutral field. These two teams play in Dallas, Texas which is is exactly halfway between the two schools, Austin, Texas, and Norman, Oklahoma.

2. Alabama vs Auburn
    Series Record: Alabama leads 38-33-1
    Trophy: Omicron Delta Kappa-James E. Foy V Sportsmanship Trophy
    This college football rivalry is number one as the fire, passion and hate between the two schools is unlike any other. This game literally stops a state. The teams didn't play from 1907 to 1948 because after the 1907 game, they couldn’t decide which referees to use. The trophy for this game isn't as important as the ownership of the state that comes with a win.

3. Ohio State vs Michigan
    Series Record: Michigan leads 57-41-6.
    Award: Ohio State players get a gold charm in the shape of a pair of pants if they win. No rivalry has a better combination of history and championship implications than Michigan vs Ohio State. Since 1913, the two teams have combined for all or part of 70 Big Ten titles and the have finished 1-2 in the standings 15 times since 1968.

4. Army vs Navy
    Series Record: Navy Leads 52-49-7
    Award: Gold cloth stars to put on their letter sweaters for victories
    Notes: This game probably has more history and tradition than any other rivalry in the country. This game is also part of the Commander-In-Chief trophy(Army, Navy, & Air Force)

5. USC vs Notre Dame
    Series Record: Notre Dame leads 42-32-5
    Trophy: The Jeweled Shillelagh
    The winner of this game has gone on to win the national title 19 times, plus these two schools have produced 11 Heisman winners.

6. Florida vs Georgia
    Series Record: Georgia leads the series, 46-37-2.
    Known as: "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"
    Georgia may hold the series lead, but Florida has had Georgia's number since 1992. This rivalry is one of only a few that is played on a neutral site, Jacksonville, FL.

7. Florida State vs Miami
    Series Record: Miami leads 30-23
    Since the 1987, Florida State has lost out on playing for the national championship five times because of losses to Miami. The two teams have met 13 times in the last 18 years when both were ranked in the top ten. Since 1983, these two teams have combined for more national titles than any other two rivals in the country.

8. Texas vs Texas A&M
    Series Record: Texas leads the series, 70-34-5.
    This was voted the top college football rivalry in a USA Today online poll.

9. Nebraska vs Oklahoma
    Oklahoma leads the series, 42-37-3.
    The 1971 game was considered by many, the greatest college football game of all-time. 19 times during this series, one of these two teams have been rated #1.

10. Lafayette vs Lehigh
    Series Record: Lafayette leads 76-62-5
    Known as: "The Game"
    This is the most-played rivalry in college football history

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL @ thinking the SEC is declining.

11. ths balla

ths balla Member

The numbers beg to differ my friend......
    http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/
    http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

3.0 4.71M 12:00 PM Oklahoma Texas ABC
    4.7 7.51M 3:30 PM Texas A&M LSU CBS
    8.5 13.59M 3:30 PM Alabama Texas A&M CBS

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean he said everything you'd expect a recruit to say. Not sure that article means anything. However, I certainly am not counting Alabama out of the race.

Having said that, I hope he's ready to ride the bench for 2 years before actually playing if he does go to Bama. They're too stacked!

13. vj23k

So, you think the run will last forever? It's been nearly 10 years already. I don't think a decline is super near-term...probably closer to 2018-2020. Even then, I don't think the SEC becomes the Big East or anything. I just don't think that the conference will have the stranglehold on college football that it does now.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Forever? Of course not. But let's be real...RIGHT NOW, in terms of recruiting, overall top teams, recent history, bowl winning percentages, etc. the SEC is tops. Obviously there are plenty of other elite teams out there like FSU, Michigan State, Oregon, etc. but if we're talking overall quality, the SEC is still clearly on top, and with the way the SEC teams recruit, that is likely to continue.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

To high school recruits TODAY, it might just be. Plus, don't discount the fact that Texas/OU is literally the only marquis match-up in the Big 12 right now for the Longhorns. Nobody gets excited about playing against Baylor, no matter how good they might be. On the other hand, a school like Texas A&M can point to games against Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and even Ole Miss as games to circle on the calendar.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Come on. No one gets excited about South Carolina or Ole Miss.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No love for my Auburn Tigers on the recruiting trail? *tears*

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Heh, yeah I'm sure if you're an 18 year old BADASS from whatever Texas, THE THOUGHT OF WALKING INTO OXFORD MISSISSIPPI AND PLAYING OLE MISS IS A BIG DAMNED DEAL - IF THEY HAD PAPER CALENDARS AND NOT BLACKBERRIES AND SNAPCHAT FACEBOOK TWITTERS THEY WOULD CIRCLE IT!

Kiddos don't live up to your vicarious dreams. Sad but true. :(

20. vj23k

Right now, sure, but I guess that's what I'm saying. These cycles come and go, and they tend to go faster than they come. There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to how these cycles end, they just sort of do. It's been an incredible 10 year run, and I see it continuing for another 4 or so before they come down to Earth. I think Saban will win at least one more, but the whole SEC/Alabama style is sort of being exposed as well.

The elephant in the room, to me, is conference realignment. Who the hell knows what college football will look like in 4-5 years?