1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 7, 2013.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Mexican teams have been invited to Copa Libretedores and Copa Sudamericana. MLS teams have been invited to Copa Sudamericana in the past.

There's been a lot of talk of expanding Copa America to include CONCACAF teams and to be hosted in the US. It seems likely to happen at this point.

For World Cup qualification neither federation would benefit from combining so I don't see it happening.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's just the facts. Attendance info from the group games so far.

Mexico vs. Panama Attendance: 56K+
    Mexico vs. Canada Attendance: 28K+
    Mexico vs. Martinque Attendance: 30K+

USA vs. Belize Attendance: 18K+
    USA vs. Cuba Attendance: 17K+
    USA vs. Costa Rica Attendance: ??

3. Beavis Stiffler

fixed it.

Mexico's games are played in NFL stadiums. The two games USA played against Belize and Cuba were in MLS stadiums, which have the same maximum capacity as NBA/NHL arenas.

Tomorrow's USA-Costa Rica will be played at a college football stadium in UCONN. The maximum capacity for that is around 40,000.

4. ipaman

Not sure if you meant to fortify my post but you did. There's a reason they schedule those USA games in smaller stadiums right?

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Exactly. And they will NOT host a Houston double-header of El Salvador or Honduras at Reliant or anyone else who isn't Mexico. Heck, even BBVA didn't sell out against New Zealand. No way. :cool:

6. SwoLy-D

Anyone going to the EL SALVADOR or HONDURAS games here?

:cool: ¿Voh vas al juego de la Selecta o la Bicolor? Invita, pues, mein.

Miguel, conquistador#11?

7. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Hmm I don't think so. At the start of the tournament Costa Rica was ranked 39, Panama 51, and Honduras 55. Following your theory Costa Rica Should have been the third seed and as such they should be in group B not in group C with the US.

8. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I agree with the financial aspect but does that make it OK? Is it fair for the other teams?

9. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

¿Estimado señor, que trata usted de decir con la palabras “voh” y “mein”?

10. SwoLy-D

"you" and "dude" in Central American slang speak. :eek:

11. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Lol, that's what I thought. Granted in sounds like voh, especially from Salvadorians, but it is vos (I'm sure you already knew that ). What I'm trying to figure out is what you are trying to say with mein, is it man or maje? Different things lmao.

12. 713

713 Member

USA vs Costa Rica 7pm central tonight

13. ipaman

No, it's CONCACAF, it's been crooked since Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer took power, that was early nineties ('91) I think. It's a region where tiny Caribbean islands have total power (1 country=1 vote), yet most barely have any recognizable football organization.

An example, Anguilla (pop. 13,000), with a world ELO ranking of 223 out of 232, has the same voting power as Mexico or the USA.

14. SwoLy-D

", dude", as in "Invite me, then, dude." (mein is what some Central American say, read phonetically, instead of "man.") :cool: Just playing with my CA peeps.

15. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Ahhh I see. Yah maje is more like loco, tonto, but is not meant to be derogatory more like endearment.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A meh game tonight up happy to get the win and the group...an to be the only team to win all 3 games.

El Salvador up next in the quarter finals.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Have not had a chance to see it yet, but someone told me the result, so now am debating watching it, or just FFing to the goal.

Did Klinnsman switch it up some and give some young guys some burn?

DD

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Only a few but it was enough to mess with the flow they've had. Wondo started and, predictably, he did little against better competition. Fast forward to the 80th minute and save yourself lots of boredom.

19. Beavis Stiffler

Some fans and supporters from the Houston doubleheader on Monday night. ;) :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Convictedstupid

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>US Gold Cup player changes: OUT-Ashe, Gómez, McInerney, Onyewu. IN-González, Gordon, E. Johnson, Besler.</p>&mdash; Grant Wahl (@GrantWahl) <a href="https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/statuses/357688970861228032">July 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>