1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 7, 2013.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

¡MÉ-XI-CO! [clap clap clap]
    ¡MÉ-XI-CO! [clap clap clap]
    ¡A ganarle a Martinica!
    :cool:

2. SwoLy-D

¡Gooooooooolazo!!! :eek:
    L. Montes 34' (MEX)
    Martinique 0
    México 2

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Mexico have played like ****stains since they won the Olympics.

4. tomato

tomato Member

Yeah they suck

5. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Listen, I'm not against it but it's obvious that money talks so it is in their best interest to have these two face at the end. As far as I remember there hasn't never been a US-Mexico match-up before the finals, they are always on opposite sides of the brackets. Coincidence or Convenience? I'll leave that up to you.

6. SwoLy-D

It is also in the best interest to have Brazil play any other European super power at the end of any World Cup, but it doesn't happen. So? Coincidence or convenience?
    That was a team filled with inexperienced under-23 players and only four (I think?) veterans. :eek: It is not the same team of Prima Donnas of today. THAT team could probably beat good teams this year. Perhaps the players of today should learn from that team to play with desire and heart.

7. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

You are comparing apples to oranges man. The fact is that it is in the best FINANCIAL interest for CONCAFAF ( or whoever organizes this tournament) to have a US-Mexico final. If you don't want to see that then your simply blind.

8. SwoLy-D

Sure... it's beneficial financially, I'm not denying that... and apples to oranges is not what I'm comparing... they're two tournaments and the officiating companies behind these two tournaments will benefit drastically if more followers watch the last game.

But you're not giving credit to the better TWO teams in this tournament, USA and PANAMA. :eek: And I don't mean that sarcastically. The best team will win this tournament without the refs or CONCACAF involved in the gameplay.

9. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Hahaha, of course they are involved. When you set up a tournament in which the biggest draws won't face each other until the final someone is clearly behind close doors planning ahead. Now, if Mexico or US screw up along the way well that's entirely on them.

10. SwoLy-D

Are you saying they should NOT be on opposite brackets EVER? :confused: They are certainly the top two teams in the region when the tournament was set up. :eek: Do you not agree?

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My guess is that they're using a seeding system to set up the brackets, much like the World Cup does. You have your top three seeds ranked 1-3 and then you pick out of a hat for the rest of the groups. In that case, mexico and USA are almost always likely to be 1 & 2 and would be put on opposite sides of the bracket. Here's how I think it was probably ranked...

1 seeds - mexico, USA, Honduras
    2 seeds - Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador
    3 seeds - Canada, Cuba, T&T
    4 seeds - Belize, Martinique, & Haiti

Completely guessing on those 3 and 4's .

12. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

You are twisting my words, lol. I never said they shouldn't be on opposites brackets, all I said was the I have never seen them in the same bracket, ever! The way the system is set up now they won't be in the same bracket.

13. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I agree with this somewhat but here is the catch how do you decide on the seedings (is this a word? )? US, Mexico, and Canada are in automatically.

14. SwoLy-D

Well, I didn't mean to twist your words, I simply asked directly so I could clearly see what you were trying to say.

What I think will happen ALL THE TIME is that the USA and Mexico will forever be eternal rivals and will never be paired in this or any other competition, no matter if one sucks and the other one is better.

Take, for case and point, the 1995 Copa América, in which USA and Mexico met in the round of 8 for a regional qualifier. Too much of a rivalry exists and deciding the seeding mathematically will always be tough. :eek:

15. DwightHoward13

They are decided based on the FIFA World Rankings.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Rox1 and Swoly are both wrong.

It IS financially beneficial for a MEX vs. Anybody final. Mexico would sell-out any stadium in a final regardless of opponent. Mexico is the only team in CONCACAF able to do so.

17. SwoLy-D

^ Better wording right there. That's what I was getting to. :cool: When have you NOT seen Mexican soccer fans? Even in games where Mexico isn't playing, you will see Mexicans making noise. You can't say the same for many other countries, save for maybe Brazil and a couple others I can't even think of.

18. leroy

That's what I thought...except that Panama has been ahead of Honduras for some time.

19. leroy

retracted. Thought the USA/Belize game was a sellout but it appears it was not.

#59 leroy, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  20. Beavis Stiffler

I think CONCACAF and CONMEBOL (South America) should do a merger and that way it could be like UEFA with an international tournament for national teams and a Champions League tournament for club teams.