1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 FIFA Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DreamShook, Jul 10, 2011.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think you've been watching. I, before this Cup, said many of the same things. The skill in the women's game has gotten amazingly better from where it was just in the 90's. These girls can play. Obviously, it's a little slower than the men's game, but not nearly as much as it used to be.

There is quite a bit of contact, too...and little diving. Yeah, that Brazilian chick was just plain awful. But most fouls are actually committed by real contact. It isn't Premier League brutality but it's there.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sorry but I live in Germany and been watching EVERY game live from tip to end. Women's soccer is getting hyped badly right now, if you watched the last World Cup(did you?),you'd notice that the level of skill didn't increase as many thought it would. Watch all the games and you'll see these girls barely have passing combinations, the deadly passes aren't accurate 90% of the time, the decision-making is very questionable, too many occasions per game you'll see passes into an area where no one is standing or running to. Too often they fail to make a goal, especially in 1on1 situations vs. the keeper. When getting a pass many of them can't carry it and it bounces off badly. I'm no opponent of Woman's Soccer and I support it, but saying it's on a level near the men is simply blasphemic.

3. leroy

I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was on a level near the men. I'm just saying that the skill level has grown and you can see it from Cup to Cup. Yeah, they still have a long way to go. The goalkeeping has been horrendous. Outside of Solo, there isn't a keeper that played in this cup I would want on my team. I'm not sure that will ever catch up with the rest of their game.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Then your reply was a bit off, I answered to rockbox saying it's more exciting and physical than Men's Soccer. He clearly said that, I responded.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

France or USA?

Really like the US-girls. Think final game will be USA-Sweden, USA wins 3-2.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Hey um..

Why are you lumping me with tinman, youre on my **** list now.
    thanks.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Why can't they play with their shirts off???

8. leroy

GOAL USA!

Nice buildup by the US leading to the cross. Another example of bad keeping, though, as the French keeper should have made the save.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not sure why you put "academies" in quotes - the Brasil Serie A teams are quite popular domestically (actually more popular than the national team, many hardcore brasil futebol fans have told me they will cheer only for their club guys who play on the NT) and have access to a fair amount of $$$, from domestic ticket & TV deals, as well as transfer fees. I've toured the Internacional SC "Academy" at Rio-Beira and it's a real-deal soccer school, with facilities and operations on par with any that a major international soccer club would be expected to have.

True for many, especially in the past, but if you look over the senior team now, not a lot of guys who grew up playing barefoot in the favela.

Most of the guys now are from distinctly middle class backgrounds (which makes sense given the country's economic growth)

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Great start.:cool:

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Awwww man I misread your post and interpreted it as if you'ee talkin bout T-Mac, didn't see it was about tinmac. Really, really sorry mate, hope you take my apologize.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i find the woman-on-woman contact more exciting as well.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Shame there was no heavy rain til now, would be awesome to see the girls gettin wet and slidin in mood. ;)

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Edited.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Even though France has 10 shots compared to US 3, France is just taking potshots at the goal from 30m out. That is rarely going to score goals.

16. leroy

They're getting closer, though. Solo made a great save on a break and that last one was just off the post.

USA is playing too much long ball and completely ignoring the midfield. That's where the goal came from and how they had dominated the first 10-15 minutes of the game.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

US has played like **** since they scored. They better get it together at halftime assuming France doesn't score before then.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

France is definitely keeping possession over the US. They keep putting pressure on the US and until the US can keep possession, one of these shots will eventually get the back of the net.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Reminds me of the USA-Brazil match, early goal but didn't help USA.
    Hope they win in 90min today.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

USA getting beasted... Maybe we should play a man down

France's Goalie is pretty terrible; if we can only get more chances.